Speculation: This 20-21 Penguins team misses the playoffs... UPDATE - WRONG

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I would say if we miss the playoffs it is largely because of an accelerated season and Jarry and DeSmith not being able to handle the new roles.

I don't the defense of forwards are bad enough to cause us to miss. Especially considering what our division did this offseason with nearly every team losing major pieces outside of New Jersey.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
There is always a chance and we are getting older. But I've seen MANY members tell me in 2015 this team was done for good.

Oh and since those members probably tuned out since they claimed they were done watching... we won back to back Cups. :) Sit back and just enjoy the time we have left of the Sid/G era. Eventually father time will win. Enjoy it while we have it and I'll see you f***ers back for the next X-Gen years.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I would say if we miss the playoffs it is largely because of an accelerated season and Jarry and DeSmith not being able to handle the new roles.

I don't the defense of forwards are bad enough to cause us to miss. Especially considering what our division did this offseason with nearly every team losing major pieces outside of New Jersey.

I think the bolded is essentially the only way the Pens miss. That or because both Sid and Geno go down with long term injuries.

A healthy (or as close as this organization gets) roster plus even league average goaltending from the duo should be a playoff team.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
In a league where more than half the teams make the playoffs, it'll be really hard for the Pens to miss the playoffs.
They're stacked on paper and historically are unfazed by injuries.

Guys like Sid, Geno, Letang, Dumo are proven winners. I don't see a blackhawk's esque slide just yet. Although I suppose anythingi could happen.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If Marino or Jarry struggle, or our bottom six continues to be an issue, or Sid/Geno miss significant time--sure. Could easily see us missing the playoffs.

But I'll believe it when I see it. Even if I don't think we're a real contender, we'll make the playoffs just to get embarrassed in the 1st round again. :laugh: We won't miss.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
The team is top heavy but reliant on older, injury prone stars to carry them. The bottom six is a mishmash of energy guys who can’t score and puck pushers who are fast.

The defense features a bottom pair that’s a possession void and another that has never been better than this first year and a top pairing that can be the best in the league when healthy.

The odds of them not making the playoffs are far greater than them making it. It’s really not hard to see it. A lot has to break right for them to be a top end contender. It’s definitely not a Cup challenging team.

deathtouchtrample

May 5, 2014
The team is top heavy but reliant on older, injury prone stars to carry them. The bottom six is a mishmash of energy guys who can’t score and puck pushers who are fast.

The defense features a bottom pair that’s a possession void and another that has never been better than this first year and a top pairing that can be the best in the league when healthy.

The odds of them not making the playoffs are far greater than them making it. It’s really not hard to see it. A lot has to break right for them to be a top end contender. It’s definitely not a Cup challenging team.

Literally all that matters is health of 87 and 71 and goaltending. If they get 60+ games from both of them and Jarry/whoever isn't last year's sharks level bad they're making the playoffs.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Wouldn't be a surprise

But it would suck

And i will bitch all year about it sucking

But I'll do that even if they win lol

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol nah mate, our fate will be that we make the playoffs, but we're out in the 1st round again and could have picked higher but again, we don't have our pick.

That's the kind of kick in the bollocks we're destined for.

Reactions: EightyOne

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Lol nah mate, our fate will be that we make the playoffs, but we're out in the 1st round again and could have picked higher but again, we don't have our pick.

That's the kind of kick in the bollocks we're destined for.

This is actually more my concern. Not that we'll miss the playoffs, but that we'll definitely make it but play like paper tigers and lose in the first round. That's my big concern going into this season. Whether or not we'll ever be a threat to go deep in the playoffs again.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
The team is about as good as it was last season (probably slightly better) so if we don't make it, it will be because of a lack of motivation. Lack of motivation is a legitimate concern, given how our last two playoffs went.

Reactions: AjaxTelamon

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
"This 20-21 Penguins team misses the playoffs..."

Well I think they'll make some modifications throughout the season. The team that the Penguins are right now won't be the same team around the trade deadline. Whenever that is.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Old Sid/Geno blablablabla. They’re still the best out there when they’re on the ice.

The top-6 is stacked for a reason. We’ll be fine, don’t ask me about what’s gonna happen in round 1 tho.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If the playoffs are 8 teams in the east, TB, Islanders, flyers, Canes, Caps, Leafs, Habs and Pens look to be contenders. Now you have the Rangers, Boston with injuries as a concern, but you also have Florida as a wildcard. So it is not out of the question te Pens can miss the playoffs. They barely made it in two years ago.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It's going to be a weird short season, anything could happen. But it's also quite likely that the playoffs will include more teams again to make up for some of the lost revenue.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Pretty sure we'll make the playoffs. The top 6 and blueline look better than last year.

Anything beyond that is doubtful if the roster doesn't get a major upgrade.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
My hope for this season is that JR doesn't trade the 2022 first. I don't think the wheels fall of this year, but they will soon and I don't want to miss out on the inevitable top 5 pick that results.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad