Third round: #2 Baie-Comeau vs. #3 Blainville

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
KingKadri:shakehead

You really think we would have single digit losses and seven 30 plus goal scorers if we played in the OHL?
I'm not sure about that but Halifax would absolutely have finished first in the OHL this year. Just like Saint John would have finished first in the OHL last year.

Do OHL fans forget that Shawinigan beat London for the cup last year and Saint John beat Mississauga for the cup the year before? This idea that the QMJHL is vastly inferior to the OHL and WHL is ridiculous. I went to the top prospects game this years. Guys like MacKinnon, Drouin, Erne, Dauphin and Duclair were as impressive if not more impressive than any OHL or WHL player. If Halifax/Baie-Comeau/Blainville-Boisbriand win the Memorial Cup that will mean that a QMJHL team has won three times in a row. The WHL has only done that once; the OHL has never done that.

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
I'm not sure about that but Halifax would absolutely have finished first in the OHL this year. Just like Saint John would have finished first in the OHL last year.

Do OHL fans forget that Shawinigan beat London for the cup last year and Saint John beat Mississauga for the cup the year before? This idea that the QMJHL is vastly inferior to the OHL and WHL is ridiculous. I went to the top prospects game this years. Guys like MacKinnon, Drouin, Erne, Dauphin and Duclair were as impressive if not more impressive than any OHL or WHL player. If Halifax/Baie-Comeau/Blainville-Boisbriand win the Memorial Cup that will mean that a QMJHL team has won three times in a row. The WHL has only done that once; the OHL has never done that.

You are talking about top teams not the league as a whole. I never said our top teams are not as good as theirs. But if you bring up st. john, I dont think they would have won the OHL last year, the moose would do it this year but that is beside the point. I am talking about the overall depth and competitiveness of the entire league

Last edited:

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
Obviously more than you if you think we could, probably about 30 regular season games and most Western Conference Playoffs. If a skilled team takes a night off in the OHL and they will likely lose, do it in the Q and not so much

You're a fool. You've proved that on several occasions in your short tenure here.

Don't say 'we'... you are no Halifax fan.

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
What I am trying to say is that Halifax's numbers are a little inflated. Not saying they wouldn't be the best team in the OHL, I just don't think their record would be as impressive

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
In your 31 awe-inspiring posts, you have done nothing but criticize and say how other teams are better. Some fan you are...

I'm sorry I didn't realize the number of posts was a direct representation of hockey knowledge. And not once did I say another team was better. I said we lack the elite defensive corps of some other high end CHL teams, and I questioned the significance of our 120 pts season and playoff success against nothing teams (rouyn being the exception). But I never said we were not great.

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
I guess you have to be a blind follower who believes your team ***** gold and can do no wrong to be considered a fan

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
Most of my family are die-hard Eagles fans and would still find your posts ridiculous. It's not about being a blind follower it's about being realistic.

On topic:

Back in the lineup:
BB - Cisse, Hoyles, Marcoux, Decelles
BC - Gregoire, Verpealst, Cardorette, Desrosiers, Banville, Ranger

Still out:
BB - Tesink
BC - Imama
And both headcoaches

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
Most of my family are die-hard Eagles fans and would still find your posts ridiculous. It's not about being a blind follower it's about being realistic.

Sorry I am off topic here but just to clarify do you not think it realistic to question if our record really reflects our strength and to recognize that we probably wont have the strongest d corps if/when we play in the tournament?

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
I'm sorry I didn't realize the number of posts was a direct representation of hockey knowledge. And not once did I say another team was better. I said we lack the elite defensive corps of some other high end CHL teams, and I questioned the significance of our 120 pts season and playoff success against nothing teams (rouyn being the exception). But I never said we were not great.

Not the number of posts... the quality of posts does though.

Where does it say anywhere that you need an "elite" defenseman to win hockey games? Define elite... I define elite as Ryan Ellis. Any d-man on any remaining teams boast an elite defenseman? Maybe Portland with Jones, but he has no where near the accomplishments of an elite defenseman.

Great team defense > individual "elite" defensemen.

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
Not the number of posts... the quality of posts does though.

Where does it say anywhere that you need an "elite" defenseman to win hockey games? Define elite... I define elite as Ryan Ellis. Any d-man on any remaining teams boast an elite defenseman? Maybe Portland with Jones, but he has no where near the accomplishments of an elite defenseman.

Great team defense > individual "elite" defensemen.

You make a good point about individuals vs team. But Portland has Jones (everyone knows about him), Wotherspoon (team Canada) and Pouliot (top ten draft pick); London with Harrington and Matta (both world junior players who will be regulars in the nhl) along with Mermis and Zadoroz who will be first or second round picks this year. And both of those teams were second in goals against in their leagues, so they defiantly have individual talent and team defense. Moose may have reliable guys but nobody like that.

Sure defense doesn't win games alone, but those are all elite defensemen who might greatly hinder Halifax ability to score, and halifax wins with offense.

I hope you find that more of a quality post and see where I am coming from

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
You're confusing very good with elite.

All those guys you mentioned are very good defensemen... none of them are elite.

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
You're confusing very good with elite.

All those guys you mentioned are very good defensemen... none of them are elite.

Jones is suppose to go #1 and Harrington was considered the best defensive defenseman in the world juniors (and after watching several knights games I am stating to think the younger Maatta is even better). I haven't seen many Portland games but what I have heard about Pouliot is that he is an nhl caliber two way guy. Zadorov and Mermis may be to young to be called elite but ranked that high in the draft must mean something.

Sure not all are on Ryan Ellis or Jared Tinordi's level, but jones is suppose to be the best player at his age and if you watch Maatta play you would see why I think he is elite, he actually plays a similar style to Ellis (qb of the powerplay with great IQ)

Not too sure how you can say Jones isn't elite.

Last edited:

hedgeway

Jan 1, 2010
Waterloo, ON
Figured I'd pipe in here. I admittedly haven't watched any OHL or WHL this year safe for a game here and there so I can't really comment on those leagues/teams.

I think calling Halifax's D "weak" is just silly. They don't have that really top end guy like other teams might but I do think their D is solid. It hasn't really let them down all year.

Also, I'm not worried if their D is slightly worse than that of other teams. They play a good team game and Fucale has always come up big when he's had to.

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
Figured I'd pipe in here. I admittedly haven't watched any OHL or WHL this year safe for a game here and there so I can't really comment on those leagues/teams.

I think calling Halifax's D "weak" is just silly. They don't have that really top end guy like other teams might but I do think their D is solid. It hasn't really let them down all year.

Also, I'm not worried if their D is slightly worse than that of other teams. They play a good team game and Fucale has always come up big when he's had to.

Weak relative to potential competition and yes Fucale has impressed me very much especially in the Rouyn series.

You are from London and don't watch much OHL?

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Halifax don't need elite D, because we have more elite forwards than anyone left :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad