News Article: Thinning the Leafs roster will be a challenge over the summer

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Me neither. The knock against him is his speed/skating, I believe. Is there any evidence that this has hindered him so far? Is he a defensive liability? I don't see it. Maybe stats would prove me wrong. All I know is that when he played with the Leafs, he put the puck in the net with relative ease (5 goals - 12 games). He also has nice size.

Now, if there's something happening behind the scenes (which my gut says there is), that's a different matter.

The knock on Leivo is that he was drafted by the previous regime.

Babcock implied in a post game presser that he was too skinny but the guy is strong in the corners and hard to knock off the puck. He's already proven that he can beat NHL goalies with his big shot.

Connor Brown seems to be the only prospect drafted before 2014 that has endeared himself to the current management group.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I see this as a very likely move.

But, its a move that could have implications, and is also a move made by "necessity". We could be throwing away a player that develops into a legit NHL player.

And we are doing this because we have a lot of dead weight contracts in our systems that we'd love to move but cannot move without taking back the kind of (bad) contracts that we are trying to get rid of in the first place. We are all hoping that we don't find ourselves in this position again in a few years ...... cough ..... Its hardly ancient history :(

With the Lupul IR thing, is it that easy? Or, would the NHLPA be smart enough to want one (or more) legitimate doctors report(s) from neutral 3rd party doctors? The latter seems more likely, but I don't really know so thought I'd throw it out.

This notion tends to be a bit blown out of proportion.

In terms of "bad contracts", yes, the Leafs have quite a few (Lupul, Horton, Michalek, Laich, Greening, Robidas, Cowen & Bernier). However, what's not really considered, is that the majority of these guys will occupy needed NHL roster spots.

It's not like, if the Leafs could all of those guys go away, their lineup would be Soshnikov-Kadri-Komarov, JvR-Nylander-Marner, Leivo-Bozak-Matthews, and Hyman-Holland-Brown.

They need some veterans in the lineup, but really, from a contract # standpoint, you're only looking at guys like Robidas, Cowen and Horton as players who are true deadweight. The others will occupy useful roster spots, that would've otherwise likely gone to a free agent.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The knock on Leivo is that he was drafted by the previous regime.

Babcock implied in a post game presser that he was too skinny but the guy is strong in the corners and hard to knock off the puck. He's already proven that he can beat NHL goalies with his big shot.

Connor Brown seems to be the only prospect drafted before 2014 that has endeared himself to the current management group.

I thought that he was referring to his conditioning and not that he was too skinny. Maybe I misinterpreted it.

I don't think it should matter who was drafted here before hand. If they are a good player, they should stay with the Leafs. Nylander, Kadri & Rielly were all drafted by the prior regime and 2 of those guys just got locked up to 6 year deals.

Leivo absolutely deserves a roster spot next year.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I thought that he was referring to his conditioning and not that he was too skinny. Maybe I misinterpreted it.

I don't think it should matter who was drafted here before hand. If they are a good player, they should stay with the Leafs. Nylander, Kadri & Rielly were all drafted by the prior regime and 2 of those guys just got locked up to 6 year deals.

Leivo absolutely deserves a roster spot next year.

I agree. Leivo has shown that he can keep up in the NHL and that he can score goals.

Worst case scenario, you have to send Brown/Leipsic/Hyman to the Marlies for a few months until you can trade away a pending UFA like Greening, Michalek, etc. It's not like their development will be hurt if they have to spend a few extra months on the Marlies top line instead of getting 3rd/4th line minutes for the Leafs.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
We take on someone else's headache in trade for 1 contract and make them take 2 of our own in exchange.

The Leafs wanted to get rid of Dion and his contract at any cost but received Jared Cowen, forwards Colin Greening, Milan Michalek and Tobias Lindberg as well as Ottawa’s second-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft. That leaves Leafs with 4 contracts in the 50 total as the fallout now. Cowen will be bought to recapture 1 and Lindberg the only one they really want and would love to find new homes for Greening and Michalek.

Leafs need to make a Dion type trade in reverse taking on 1 vet contract and packaging 3-4 out freeing up 3 contract spots in the process.

I see this as a very likely move.

But, its a move that could have implications, and is also a move made by "necessity". We could be throwing away a player that develops into a legit NHL player.

And we are doing this because we have a lot of dead weight contracts in our systems that we'd love to move but cannot move without taking back the kind of (bad) contracts that we are trying to get rid of in the first place. We are all hoping that we don't find ourselves in this position again in a few years ...... cough ..... Its hardly ancient history :(

With the Lupul IR thing, is it that easy? Or, would the NHLPA be smart enough to want one (or more) legitimate doctors report(s) from neutral 3rd party doctors? The latter seems more likely, but I don't really know so thought I'd throw it out.

This notion tends to be a bit blown out of proportion.

In terms of "bad contracts", yes, the Leafs have quite a few (Lupul, Horton, Michalek, Laich, Greening, Robidas, Cowen & Bernier). However, what's not really considered, is that the majority of these guys will occupy needed NHL roster spots.

It's not like, if the Leafs could all of those guys go away, their lineup would be Soshnikov-Kadri-Komarov, JvR-Nylander-Marner, Leivo-Bozak-Matthews, and Hyman-Holland-Brown.

They need some veterans in the lineup, but really, from a contract # standpoint, you're only looking at guys like Robidas, Cowen and Horton as players who are true deadweight. The others will occupy useful roster spots, that would've otherwise likely gone to a free agent.

Not disagreeing with the idea that veterans are needed. They are.

However, if you trace the progression of this subject, the point being made is that it isn't easy to just erase bad contracts. The original post from (Mess) which the later downstream posts are referring to has been copied above for your convenience.

There are consequences, and one frequent consequence is you take back bad contracts in return. Endless loop maybe ....

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Not disagreeing with the idea that veterans are needed. They are.

However, if you trace the progression of this subject, the point being made is that it isn't easy to just erase bad contracts. The original post from (Mess) which the later downstream posts are referring to has been copied above for your convenience.

There are consequences, and one frequent consequence is you take back bad contracts in return. Endless loop maybe ....

Or, you just let them expire.

This thread is about the 50 contract cap, not salary.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
With the Leafs next year:

Laich
JVR
Kadri
Leo
Nylander
Matthews
Leivo
Hyman
Sosh