Things to do/Places to go/stay in Montreal

Jack Adams

Mar 20, 2010
St. Louis
I'm coming up to Montreal for the first time November 19th through the 23rd for the Blues @ Montreal game and Blues @ Senators game.

I'm looking for suggestions for hotels, eateries, pubs and any fun attractions and things to do in Montreal. Also, Arena tour, Best way to secure tickets, etc..? I was able to get $114 seats in third row for Ottawa game but prices for the Canadiens game are astronomically higher.

Any suggestions/ideas much appreciated!

Thank you/Merci.

Jack Adams

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I'm coming up to Montreal for the first time November 19th through the 23rd for the Blues @ Montreal game and Blues @ Senators game.

I'm looking for suggestions for hotels, eateries, pubs and any fun attractions and things to do in Montreal. Also, Arena tour, Best way to secure tickets, etc..? I was able to get $114 seats in third row for Ottawa game but prices for the Canadiens game are astronomically higher.

Thank you/Merci.

Jack Adams

You probably missed this sticky thread.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=821943

HabsFanJosh

Jun 28, 2014

Thank you/Merci.

Jack Adams

I have a friend that works at a place called Hotel Espresso. It's on Guy near St. Catherines. Pretty good place to stay and enjoy the night life, yet not far from the Bell center. The Montreal Canadien Hockey Hall of Fame is pretty neat and easy to get to (It's in the Bell center). From what I remember you can go at anytime it is open and pay a small fee to check it out. Wilensky's is a pretty wicked. Just get the Wilensky special. (It's a sandwich)

As for tickets. I currently live in Ottawa and hail from Montreal. I can tell you $114 won't get you out of the nose bleed section for a Habs game. If you want tickets, cheap, just look around on Kijiji and the likes. You can try scalpers, but they aren't what I'd consider a good deal.

Jack Adams

Mar 20, 2010
St. Louis
Great resources in that thread. Very helpful.

From what I read:

Get poutine with gravy.

Avoid Molson ex-zone

Pubs: it sounds like Hurley's is best pub to go to and also Champs and ye olde orchard mentioned. Station des Sports and 281 and anywhere on Crescent, St. Denis and St. Laurent

restaurants: burger de ville, schwartz, baton rouge, the keg and queue de cheval

Hotels: Marriott Chateau Champlain, Sheraton, Hyatt regency, novotel, sofitel

Transportation : bus 747 from airport.

guided tours on bell centre: 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. in English

I'm ready for November.

HABSonaroll

Mar 20, 2013
How about the Pepsi Forum formerly the Montreal Forum - whats the current status - stores - restaurants etc. anybody got some interior pics - have a great time Jack :)

Attachments

• 5716694284_0c2e9ea618_b.jpg
    5716694284_0c2e9ea618_b.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 6

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
There are 4 staples for our annual MTL trip:

- Schwartz's for smoked meat
- St. Viateur for bagels
- La Vieux Dublin (amazing pub)
- La Banquise for poutine

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom

From what I read:

Get poutine with gravy.

Avoid Molson ex-zone

Pubs: it sounds like Hurley's is best pub to go to and also Champs and ye olde orchard mentioned. Station des Sports and 281 and anywhere on Crescent, St. Denis and St. Laurent

restaurants: burger de ville, schwartz, baton rouge, the keg and queue de cheval

I'm ready for November.

Don't worry about the Molson Ex zone, it's just seats. It's not like people intentionally go there, when we're buying tickets online we get whatever's available at the time.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
There are 4 staples for our annual MTL trip:

- Schwartz's for smoked meat
- St. Viateur for bagels
- La Vieux Dublin (amazing pub)
- La Banquise for poutine

Do you go to Schewartz for the smoke meat or the name of the restaurant. Obviously it's all opinions, but much better smoke meat to be found in mtl. Hell go across the street to Main. Ask for Old Fashion lean!

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I've been an expat for 13 years, but when I was living in Montreal, one of my favorite aspects of life there was French Bring-Your-Own-Wine restaurants.
http://www.urbanspoon.com/ft/67/6626/15/French-BYOB-Montreal-Restaurants
http://localmontrealtours.com/top-5-best-bring-your-own-wine-montreal-restaurants/
http://connectedmontreal.com/bachelor-party/bring-your-own-wine-restaurants-in-montreal/

My old favorite was Yoyo, at Gilford & Marquette, since either renamed Humeur or closed. http://www.qdg.ca/restaurant/humeur-restaurant
Can also vouch for La Colombe, mentioned in that third link.

Can't believe the old link alludes to foodies without even bringing this up. :amazed:

One of my old room-mates used to call this type of place, if you take a date, "panty-remover". :laugh:

Last edited:

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
I've travel quite a bit and Montreal is hands down the best place to eat in the world. The best restaurant IMO is called ''Le Quartier Général'' on Gilford street. I've tried almost anything on the menu and you won't be disappointed. It's also a ''bring your own wine'' restaurant. I'm telling you because that's the kind of place I want to try when I travel.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Don't worry about the Molson Ex zone, it's just seats. It's not like people intentionally go there, when we're buying tickets online we get whatever's available at the time.
I like the molson ex zone, cheaper tickets and cool ambiance

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I've travel quite a bit and Montreal is hands down the best place to eat in the world. The best restaurant IMO is called ''Le Quartier Général'' on Gilford street. I've tried almost anything on the menu and you won't be disappointed. It's also a ''bring your own wine'' restaurant. I'm telling you because that's the kind of place I want to try when I travel.

Sounds like Gilford is a hotbed of these places. La Raclette has been there forever (great place for Swiss food, plus you actually see them cook in the open kitchen...). I'm hoping that Yoyo-Resto Humeur is still open, but your suggestion sounds like a good plan as well. Classical French fare: pan-seared fois gras, steak tartare, rabbit, bavette steak, and deer as well. It pays to go off the beaten path, although that said, these places are always full, even weekday evenings.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

From what I read:

Get poutine with gravy.

Avoid Molson ex-zone

I'm ready for November.

*snickers*

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
^So I'm not the only one who noticed the 281 haha

Hurley's was one of my favorite pub but it can be packed sometimes, as someone said, le Vieux Dublin is another cool Irish Pub that I liked (though I liked it even better when it was smaller).

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

From what I read:

Get poutine with gravy.

Avoid Molson ex-zone

I'm ready for November.

Poutine is fries with cheese curd and gravy. Without one of those, it's not really poutine.

Hurley's and ye olde orchard are great. Station des sport is your regular sports restaurant. I wouldn't recommend 281 unless you're a woman or like sexy firemen.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Thank you/Merci.

Jack Adams

Name like that they should let you in for free

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

From what I read:

Get poutine with gravy.

Avoid Molson ex-zone

I'm ready for November.

November all the leaves will turn colors. I would add a trip to a leafy place (the lookout on Mount Royal, or a restaurant/bar with a view of the mountain would be nice).

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I now want to go somewhere and order myself a poutine with gravy while putting on my most try-hard anglo accent. Will report back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad