Things in the 2017-2018 season that are in your opinion, fake news™.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I'm confused? You mean his Rookie season where he won the Calder? Or last season when he led the Avs in points by a massive margin as well and was in on almost 35% of every Avs goal that was scored that year(For reference he was in on 37.5% of our goals this year, a very slight upgrade).

Maybe he's not a 100 point player again next year, but this Nathan Mackinnon wasn't a complete shock out of nowhere. He was very good for us in 2016/17 as well, just the entire team around him that was not. And nothing more needs to be said about his rookie season. He won the Calder for a reason.

I agree with the other poster, years 2, 3 and 4 for him were disappointing. We can't pretend he was meeting expectations. I think he was more flash than substance in those years, and I think many Avs fans would even admit to that.

In years 2-4 he had:

-between 14-21 goals
-0.66 points per game
-a high of 53 points [last season, involved on 31.9% of his teams goals, not 35%]
-and was at best, the league's 72nd leading scorer

Compared to this year, where he had:

-39 goals [more than the last 2 years combined]
-1.31 points per game [double what he did in years 2-4]
-97 points [involved on 40.4% of his teams goals in the games he played]
-and was the leagues 5th leading scorer, 2nd in points per game

Simply put, from last year to this year, he increased his goal total by 23 and his point total by 44, while being involved in 8.5% more of his teams goals, and more than doubling his points per game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad