Things in the 2017-2018 season that are in your opinion, fake news™.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Thinking the Jets are over-performing is just a horrible take, frankly.

McDavid not winning the Hart, I guess is what I would say. if it counts as “fake news”, whatever that means.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey

McDavid not winning the Hart, I guess is what I would say. if it counts as “fake news”, whatever that means.

I am not saying I agree with it, but it is a valid option to believe the Jets are overperforming. I am sure many people would say exactly what you did if someone said the same thing about the Sens last years.

I would say the dramatization of the decline of the Blackhawks. They still have a strong core and can be a competitive team over the next several years.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB

How? They have been extremely underwhelming since the Thrashers insugural season. All of a sudden they are 2nd place in the NHL and 3 wins away from a potential SCF appearance. Ill be a believer if they can keep it up next season.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I am not saying I agree with it, but it is a valid option to believe the Jets are overperforming. I am sure many people would say exactly what you did if someone said he same thing about the Sens last years.

Except it was obvious the Sens weren’t that good last year. I was saying it myself.

The Jets are just hilariousky stacked, but the main thing is they finally got a good goalie in Hellebucyk. They also got swamped with injuries last year.

I would be utterly shocked if they aren’t a 100 pt team next year.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
pt it was obvious the Sens weren’t that good last year. I was saying it myself.

The Jets are just hilariousky stacked, but the main thing is they finally got a good goalie in Hellebucyk. They also got swamped with injuries last year.
Hilariously stacked? Or a bunch of players overperforming as a cohesive unit?

Many people thought the Oilers would be SC favourites after the season they had in 16/17, anything could happen so "horrible take" is rather bologna.

Next season will solve all of our answers though, but i'm not sure they could replicate anything they did this season.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Hate to say it but I don't think the Oilers are as bad as they were this season, think they make the post season next year.

Also, I've been burnt nineteen times with this team, but I'll say Vegas misses next year too.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Hilariously stacked? Or a bunch of players overperforming as a cohesive unit?

Many people thought the Oilers would be SC favourites after the season they had in 16/17, anything could happen so "horrible take" is rather bologna.

Next season will solve all of our answers though, but i'm not sure they could replicate anything they did this season.

As a Jets fan I'd say what went wrong for us last year went right this year and we made a few of our own breaks by having better depth.

I mean, look at their roster and tell me where the weak spot is?

Team defense got better
Better goaltending
Another year of experience for Connor and Ehlers
Adding Stastny at the deadline
Fixed their PP and PK woes

Reactions: Ares

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Hate to say it but I don't think the Oilers are as bad as they were this season, think they make the post season next year.

Also, I've been burnt nineteen times with this team, but I'll say Vegas misses next year too.
We've all been burnt by vegas this season, thats the mesmerizing thing of their run imo.

Reactions: LiasAndersson

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
As a Jets fan I'd say what went wrong for us last year went right this year and we made a few of our own breaks by having better depth.

I mean, look at their roster and tell me where the weak spot is?

Team defense got better
Better goaltending
Another year of experience for Connor and Ehlers
Adding Stastny at the deadline
Fixed their PP and PK woes
Yes and the opposite happened to the Oilers this season. Everything went right for them the season prior.
We went from vezina calibre goaltending to Scott darling-esq.
Went from respectable special teams with an i believe top 5 pp in the league to dead last in both categories until the Oilers were the best PP unit for the last bit of the season, same thingt for the pk and actually moved up to mid 20's... with the best pk on the road. Too little too late though.
No major injuries starting the season to Sekera, Klefbom, RNH, Drai, etc with injuries and our defencemen forgetting how to defend.

It was the exact same shit that was said about the Oilers after the run they had.

Reactions: LiasAndersson

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

Just because McDavid went on a huge tear in the last month or so of the season, during garbage time when everyone else was taking it easy in preparation for the playoffs, doesn’t mean he was the league’s most valuable player. He really only won the scoring race in the last few weeks of the season, at that time, it meant nothing for his team. He was trailing Kucherov, Malkin and MacKinnon most of the year, until the last stretch.

That doesn’t sound like a Hart-worthy season to me and the votes reflected that.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Just because McDavid went on a huge tear in the last month or so of the season, during garbage time when everyone else was taking it easy in preparation for the playoffs, doesn’t mean he was the league’s most valuable player. He really only won the scoring race in the last few weeks of the season, at that time, it meant nothing for his team. He was trailing Kucherov, Malkin and MacKinnon most of the year, until the last stretch.

That doesn’t sound like a Hart-worthy season to me and the votes reflected that.

The dumbest "argument" ever. Everyone is on the same playing field therefore everyone else had as good a chance to get points during "garbage time" not just McDavid. How dare he play well when his team isnt going to the playoffs. He should just take it east....rest his collarbone.

What an extremely weak and pathetic "arguement" borne out of jealousy and bitterness. Psst he did the same thing last year when he was supposed to be taking it easy for the playoffs, lol. Kids these days.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

this is good, let's add some more parameters for the Hart race. Now we have:
1) Must not be on too good of a team, because it means they were helped too much by teammates
2) Must not be on too poor of a team, because the team has to win for the player to have worth
3) Only play in the months from November to February should count, otherwise it's garbage time and not valuable

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
The dumbest "argument" ever. Everyone is on the same playing field therefore everyone else had as good a chance to get points during "garbage time" not just McDavid. How dare he play well when his team isnt going to the playoffs. He should just take it east....rest his collarbone.

What an extremely weak and pathetic "arguement" borne out of jealousy and bitterness. Psst he did the same thing last year when he was supposed to be taking it easy for the playoffs, lol. Kids these days.
I subscribe to the same "weak" and "pathetic" viewpoint that the majority of those "kids" voting on the Hart did, when they chose not to vote McDavid into the top 3 candidates. I apologize for thinking that there's more to winning the Hart than winning the scoring race in the last two weeks of the season. This is now two years in a row where McDavid has blown up in the last few weeks and I wouldn't be surprised if it was largely his youthful exuberance pushing him that extra mile towards some hardware. It has happened plenty of times in the past, where teams and players have turned their focus to winning awards and will pad their points to get there. As a western Canadian, maybe you caught Henrik Sedin's last game of the 2009-2010 season, where it was almost comical to watch how the team rallied around helping Henrik win the Ross. Crosby's last game that season was just as bad.

Guys like Kucherov, Malkin, Kopitar, Hall, MacKinnon, etc. were right there (or ahead) of McDavid all year and led their team to the playoffs. If McDavid is hanging with the field for most of the season and then, in the last few weeks, blows up and puts up a ton of points, that doesn't automatically make him a Hart winner or even a contender. He may be an exceptional talent but the Hart is not the "Best Offensive Player in the League" award. There's a certain amount of context that also needs to go into voting. I may have been too harsh in my original criticism of McDavid's worthiness of the Hart but, I'm sorry, it's a perfectly valid reason not to vote for him.

But, yeah, thanks for showing your own maturity by calling someone who shares a different opinion than you a child. That said, I guess I shouldn't expect much more from a hockey forum...

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The Avs made the playoffs in their last game. If they'd lost, would that have made MacKinnon's season not Hart worthy? Using team success against a player in an individual trophy race doesn't make any sense

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Every year we hear this. The Canes are great. The Canes will be a real powerhouse. Maybe they're just not good?
I havent heard this every year, maybe you were naive to believe after looking ar their roster a few years back. Goaltending failed them, they would have made it if Darling wasnt giving them echl level goaltenting.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

I came here to say this about the Oilers. They were due to regress a bit, but not by that much. They should bounce back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad