Blue Jays Discussion: Things are Happ-ening

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaCarriere

Everybody should stop whining about this right now.

He was always going to become a free agent.

He was always going to go looking for the biggest deal he could get.

Based on the Jays history and their operating procedures they were never going to do a deal like this. We all knew that, there are no surprises here.

Anybody questioning his integrity is being foolish.

If the Jays signed Price away from somebody else for this deal, you would all be dancing for joy.

It is what it is and it was always going to be that. It is utter revisionist history for anybody to suggest otherwise.

people here are children is why there are 7 pages of flaming trash

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
That money is nonsense and I know our chances of re-singing him were minuscule, but those facts aren't going to stop me from being morbidly depressed tonight. I don't care if my Price jersey is practically worthless now. The 2015 Jays was the most enjoyable team and season I've watched since I started seriously following sports at 13. I'll always remember the atmosphere that engulfed the city and the passion surrounding the team.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
31 million a season...with an opt out in year 3 that could make him even richer if he pitches well.

God damn. I'm not a huge fan of the Happ pick up, but 31 million a year would totally absorb any other money needed to fill holes in the lineup. Time to start looking at a Shark or Kazmir type. Maybe Chris Davis too. We all knew it was going to happen.

And while i do believe Price will get it going when the chips are down at some point, i can't say i'd be glad giving that much money to a guy who has a couple decent playoff starts. Hope Boston realizes that, if they get there at all.

Stroman is now the man going forward. Time to shine, kid.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Estrada>>>>>Price. In the 2015 playoffs.

Never forget.

prices career>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.>>>>>>>>>>strada's career

LaCarriere

31 million a season...with an opt out in year 3 that could make him even richer if he pitches well.

God damn. I'm not a huge fan of the Happ pick up, but 31 million a year would totally absorb any other money needed to fill holes in the lineup. Time to start looking at a Shark or Kazmir type. Maybe Chris Davis too. We all knew it was going to happen.

And while i do believe Price will get it going when the chips are down at some point, i can't say i'd be glad giving that much money to a guy who has a couple decent playoff starts. Hope Boston realizes that, if they get there at all.

You may want to look at the quote in post 907 on the last page....Jays don't have 15-20 million left. they aren't getting Shark, Kazmir, Davis, etc...

"the blue jays did not make an offer to free-agent pitcher david price, who signed a seven-year, $217-million contract tuesday with the boston red sox, a baseball source told tsn.

The source also told tsn that the blue jays will not make contract offers to free agent pitcher zack greinke or to first baseman chris davis.

"if you sign a pitcher for $30 million a year, it affects your ability to build a team around him," the baseball source told tsn.

The jays are now focused on hiring a full-time general manager, and expect to get that done in the next few weeks, and are looking to add a utility infielder, backup catcher and bullpen depth. The blue jays have already had talks to re-sign free agent pitcher mark lowe."

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
I did miss that, my bad. He is a top pitcher though, I was expecting 200M not 217

I was expecting 200mil too despite what I said, but dear lord, 210+ and I'd laugh him up while hanging up the phone. There is only one pitcher that I would go over for, Kershaw.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
keep laughing.

the guy who signed 2nd/3rd tier players like Hanley Porcello Panda for more affordable deals while letting elite talent like lester and miller go is gone now

and the new guy is busy adding elite players like price and kimbrel.

What!?!?

Shenanigans!!! Nonsense and tomfoolery.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Money talks and Price walks. That Price ain't right. I will miss him. He made the season fun even though it did not work out. But that $$ is obscene....

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
keep laughing.

the guy who signed 2nd/3rd tier players like Hanley Porcello Panda for more affordable deals while letting elite talent like lester and miller go is gone now

and the new guy is busy adding elite players like price and kimbrel.

>Porcello
>Affordable

That contract is THE definition of albatross.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I really, really hope that opt out comes back to haunt Boston. He turns into a shell of himself and the Sox are on the hook for all 7 years. Not because i want to see Price fail, but because i want the Sox to suffer.

It's like they learned nothing from Pablo and Hanley. People are already proclaiming them as AL East champs.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I really, really hope that opt out comes back to haunt Boston. He turns into a shell of himself and the Sox are on the hook for all 7 years. Not because i want to see Price fail, but because i want the Sox to suffer.

It's like they learned nothing from Pablo and Hanley. People are already proclaiming them as AL East champs.

The Pablo and Hanley contracts are "mid-market, bargain deals" though. :laugh:

Also, as you can clearly see from this thread alone, people in general tend to be quite stupid. I would avoid listening to such crap.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Why is everyone saying he didn't like Boston? Did he say this? If so when and what was the context behind it?

Also, my buddy sent me this message earlier.

"if i had known this woulda happened i'd have paid rogers my phone bill"

A bunch of stuff (including his feud with Ortiz etc). This is from his girlfriend (fiance?)

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com

Stroman is now the man going forward. Time to shine, kid.

The moment when you realize one year of David Price is about the entire contract of JA Happ.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
Can we please not boo him in his first start back?

You don't have to cheer him, but if the Jays never even made him an offer, this isn't his fault...

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That's a big thing people seem to be missing here;

Price didn't like it in Boston, Sox fans weren't particularly fond of him, and he kind of has a thin skin. Some of their writers are probably already counting down to his first screw up.

Toronto wasn't kind to Price about his shortcomings in the playoffs, imagine how Boston will treat him?

I predict by year 2, the sox hate this contract.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Everyone quoting me; relax. I wasn't attacking his character, even if it sounded like that. I just have a thoroughly bred annoyance with the way sports has been developing and it's been less about where you want to play and more about who will pay you more. Price was and is a good person, as Stroman had nothing but good things to say about him. Integrity was the wrong word to use, but you'd be damning your own intelligence if you honestly believe that Boston with or without Price would be a better team than Toronto. It was all about the money.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Can we please not boo him in his first start back?

You don't have to cheer him, but if the Jays never even made him an offer, this isn't his fault...

It's the Red Sox. Our ace that "loved our city" just left for a divisional rival after helping us to our first playoff appearance in 20 years. His first game will be a sell out and people will boo because of all of that. Although they shouldn't, people will feel betrayed. And then those same people won't be found at a game until (if) we are a top tier team later on in the year.

LaCarriere

Everyone quoting me; relax. I wasn't attacking his character, even if it sounded like that. I just have a thoroughly bred annoyance with the way sports has been developing and it's been less about where you want to play and more about who will pay you more. Price was and is a good person, as Stroman had nothing but good things to say about him. Integrity was the wrong word to use, but you'd be damning your own intelligence if you honestly believe that Boston with or without Price would be a better team than Toronto. It was all about the money.

If Toronto was offering something like 25M/5 years thats 125M. That's a difference of nearly 100M. You can't fault him for going to Boston, they are going to be good team.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
That's a big thing people seem to be missing here;

Price didn't like it in Boston, Sox fans weren't particularly fond of him, and he kind of has a thin skin. Some of their writers are probably already counting down to his first screw up.

Toronto wasn't kind to Price about his shortcomings in the playoffs, imagine how Boston will treat him?

I predict by year 2, the sox hate this contract.

He deserved the flak he got in the playoffs. It was only Game 2 against Kansas City where it felt like he was pitching brilliantly.

If that was really true, when why sign with a team like the Red Sox? There has to be more to this than we think.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
That money is nonsense and I know our chances of re-singing him were minuscule, but those facts aren't going to stop me from being morbidly depressed tonight. I don't care if my Price jersey is practically worthless now. The 2015 Jays was the most enjoyable team and season I've watched since I started seriously following sports at 13. I'll always remember the atmosphere that engulfed the city and the passion surrounding the team.

We're one solid starting pitcher away from having a great chance to relive that experience next fall.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Money talks and Price walks. That Price ain't right. I will miss him. He made the season fun even though it did not work out. But that $$ is obscene....

Probably the best 7 inning 100 pitch guy out there, didn't the playoffs show y'all what he is. :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad