Post-Game Talk: They're cursed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Beerfish, hopefully your insight is accurate.

Big Nelson fan, hoping he is our guy... Here is a quote that, personally, I just loved... because we have not heard it's ilk during Dallas' entire tenure:

"It's always a tough building to play in, but we want to get that first win for Nelly." - Teddy P.

Secondly... Nelson mentioned 'positive outlook' during his first post-practice interview. Hey, maybe this "hippie" good-person, charisma, play with your heart "****" is on to something?

The positivity thing was really used with Krueger as well. With this group being such losers for so long, maybe they really need it. One can only hope it starts wearing off.

Ergot

Pinko
Oct 4, 2014
GVA
Maybe but nothing would surprise me with MacT, he continues to make huge blunders (Eakins) not take any responsibility for it and then makes more moves. I'm not sure about Nelson one way or the other but he was probably a better choice than Eakins in the 1st place.

I still fret that he is going to have to put up with MacT's 'input'

Wow, your hindsight is incredibly clear!

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
The positivity thing was really used with Krueger as well. With this group being such losers for so long, maybe they really need it. One can only hope it starts wearing off.

Ralph - literally - wrote the book on team motivation and culture.

41LB%2B12ZPqL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Remember this?!

Todd seems to be a bit more of a happy medium between ice-cold Eakins' and Sunny Ralph.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Wow, your hindsight is incredibly clear!

What a ridiculous comment from someone new to a board.

The poster in question has made posts to that effect before so I'm not sure where you get off calling it hindsight or why you felt it necessary to state that.

Maybe settle in awhile before you're the expert on what people have, and haven't stated here.

Ergot

Pinko
Oct 4, 2014
GVA
What a ridiculous comment from someone new to a board.

The poster in question has made posts to that effect before so I'm not sure where you get off calling it hindsight or why you felt it necessary to state that.

Maybe settle in awhile before you're the expert on what people have, and haven't stated here.

You're right of course. I don't know his post history. If Beerfish has been criticizing the hiring of Eakins from the beginning, I'm out of line here.

It just seems to me that the widely-held sentiment here that "of COURSE Eakins was a bad hire, MacT you moron" reeks of hindsight, now that Eakins' tenure has proven to have been a failure. He was a somewhat sought-after coach at the time, was he not?

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
You're right of course. I don't know his post history. If Beerfish has been criticizing the hiring of Eakins from the beginning, I'm out of line here.

It just seems to me that the widely-held sentiment here that "of COURSE Eakins was a bad hire, MacT you moron" reeks of hindsight, now that Eakins' tenure has proven to have been a failure. He was a somewhat sought-after coach at the time, was he not?

Rumour has it there were a few teams interested... Whether they were interested in interviewing him, or outright throwing a 4-year deal at him is another thing.

A significant amount of the posters here were not behind the Eakins hire.

He said the right things.

MacT was a newly minted GM, so we kept laughing at the Mac-Mahon BOLD gif thinking the team was going to turn around.

He got very little true "support", lots of 'wait and see'; HFOil is a tentative, (appropriately) jaded bunch.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Ralph - literally - wrote the book on team motivation and culture.

41LB%2B12ZPqL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Remember this?!

Todd seems to be a bit more of a happy medium between ice-cold Eakins' and Sunny Ralph.

I miss Ralph.

Unique character in the game of hockey.

I wish MacT would have given him a bit more of a chance rather than stabbing him in the back at the first opportunity ...

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I don't think this team has been higher than 27th place in the league during MacT's tenure ...

... and we've been in 29th or 30th for a big chunk of it.

It really has been a complete fiasco, when you think about it.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton

A lot of people were calling for a change 15-20 games into his first season. When Eakins came out and said his players didn't know basic defense, while simultaneously trying to install a defensive scheme that goes against everything basic defense tells you to do I wanted him gone and knew he was in over his head. Personally I came into this season willing to give him a second chance, i had hope that he learned something last year and this year would be somewhat normal. Nope, sure is **** there he is running a training camp 5 or 6 games into the regular season.

He may turn out to be a good coach somewhere else given time but he was completely unprepared this go. His team reflects just how unprepared he was I've never seen a team this dysfunctional before. One thing that really caught my attention from his press conference the other day is he said he never looks back he's always looking forward. While it seems brave to say something like this he NEEDS to deeply reflect on what just happened. There are lessons to be learned that will help him in the future but he has to find the humility within to admit his failure here.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I miss Ralph.

Unique character in the game of hockey.

I wish MacT would have given him a bit more of a chance rather than stabbing him in the back at the first opportunity ...

Yeah no kidding. Looking back he was a really valuable guy to have in the organization. He just seemed really talented, motivated, and positive. Awesome characteristics to have.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Many posters here, including myself, were highly critical of the hire which was in the first place unnecessary, was poorly substantiated (as per reasons why) and was a laugh a minute joke as it was occurring including the classless Skype firing of Kreuger.

People were highly critical of this move for a number of reasons. I was critical of Eakins when I first started hearing him talk about his approaches.

For instance I red flagged his "forwards should be able to play 27-28mins/night" comment on this board around 15mths ago when the comments occurred. It was obvious Eakins was in over his head and didn't have a clue stating things like that. But there he was in Hopkins 1st two games back from injury playing him around 27mins. An injured player, and he's throwing half a game at him in his first game in several months and having him play an aggressive swarm system. Nuge was -9 by the time he'd played 4 games in what was an unmitigated disaster. Eakins undermines players confidence doing things like that.

It was immediately apparent Eakins didn't know what he was doing.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Yeah no kidding. Looking back he was a really valuable guy to have in the organization. He just seemed really talented, motivated, and positive. Awesome characteristics to have.

Well I know the first thing I'd do to a budding coach who was highly touted by Hitchcock, I'd fire him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad