Therrien - The Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
The most disappointing thing of all is watching the supporters try their best to downplay Babcock as a coach and prop MT up at the same time. Complete madness.

Odelein24

Sep 17, 2009
Montreal
Has MT made a public appearance since the end of the season? I feel like I would have seen that discussed here already.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
The most disappointing thing of all is watching the supporters try their best to downplay Babcock as a coach and prop MT up at the same time. Complete madness.

Well people's main arguments to show that Therrien is a bad coach is the PP and 5on5 scoring. Two things Habs have been as good as Detroit over the last 3 years. Detroit might have a better PP% but the odd thing is that the Habs have a better GF%. Meaning Detroit play a much more aggressive system. Sometimes using 4 or 5 forwards on their PP. Although it leads to more GF, it also leads to more GA. When you look at the big picture, you see the Habs aren't that much worse off. Not to mention that they've ran a better PK (even factoring out CP's numbers).

Also, for the last 3 seasons, Habs have generated much more offense with the score tied or with the lead than the Wings. Two parts of the game that would lead me to think DA systam hampers the players from generating any offense. Yet, Therrien's system may actually be more conductive to offense than Babcock's system using those numbers.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Has MT made a public appearance since the end of the season? I feel like I would have seen that discussed here already.
Don't think he did, which is strange...MB took the media on about questionable coaching decisions...I guess? Does anyone know for certain, MT did or didn't meet with the media?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This group must have been led by DD and the Cube?

LeBabs is a good coach, but he may need a small miracle in Toronto, but honestly Randy Carlyle had those guys in a playoff position, but got fired?? Go figure...

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I still have a lot of trouble with Michel Therrien critics.

He inherited a team that was 28th in the league.

Year 1 - 1st in division

Year 2 - Eastern Conference Final (could have gone further maybe barring injury to Price)

Year 3 - 2 points out of President Trophy. Overall strong showing in playoffs (could have been better, but the 0-3 deficit against Tampa was killer, and quite unlucky as we didn't play bad but didn't get the bounces in first few games)

What's there to criticize? The team under Martin was extremely "so-so" at best. The team under Therrien is elite. Isn't winning what matters? Clearly, he is winning.

You can of course criticize individual decisions, and want him to do certain things different - but to claim he's a horrible coach just sounds ludicrous to me.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Well people's main arguments to show that Therrien is a bad coach is the PP and 5on5 scoring. Two things Habs have been as good as Detroit over the last 3 years. Detroit might have a better PP% but the odd thing is that the Habs have a better GF%. Meaning Detroit play a much more aggressive system. Sometimes using 4 or 5 forwards on their PP. Although it leads to more GF, it also leads to more GA. When you look at the big picture, you see the Habs aren't that much worse off. Not to mention that they've ran a better PK (even factoring out CP's numbers).

Also, for the last 3 seasons, Habs have generated much more offense with the score tied or with the lead than the Wings. Two parts of the game that would lead me to think DA systam hampers the players from generating any offense. Yet, Therrien's system may actually be more conductive to offense than Babcock's system using those numbers.

People forget that:

a) Detroit does not have the horses the Habs do.
b) Detroit was playing their 2nd string goalie for much of the season
c) Detroit had many injuries to core players
d) Babcock has been there for 10 years. 10 playoff appearances. Do you think MT can get a team to 10 straight palyoff appearances?
I figure in your 10th year as a coach it gets even harder to get through to players. MT is already feeling that and he's been coach for 3 seasons.

I personally do not see Habs making the playoffs next year if Price puts up his career averages and no changes are made. I just don't see it. The team's play is not sustainable as it is.

Price has carried MT the last 2 seasons. How does MT do with Detroit's roster this past year? He doesn't sniff the playoffs IMO. Is Babcock a god? No. But he's a top flight coach. Top of the top. MT is not by any stretch.

What bothers me most about MT is he sat on his arse when he was out of a coaching job. Boucher, Crawford, Roy all coached somewhere else. MT's arrogance is astounding. He had a lot to work on and it seems he hasn't worked on anything. He's the same guy making the same mistakes having the same impact as he did in the past.

The guy's ego is on another level.

About your point "he inherited a team that was 28th in the league". Cmon man. That's something my mother would say. I expect more from you. You truly believe a team that 2 year sprior got to the conference finals and the year prior to that took the stanley cup champs to the brink of elimination was a 28th place team? A team completely destroyed with injuries and a GM who traded a player mid-game?

Last edited:

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc

Year 1 - 1st in division

Year 2 - Eastern Conference Final (could have gone further maybe barring injury to Price)

Year 3 - 2 points out of President Trophy. Overall strong showing in playoffs (could have been better, but the 0-3 deficit against Tampa was killer, and quite unlucky as we didn't play bad but didn't get the bounces in first few games)

What's there to criticize? The team under Martin was extremely "so-so" at best. The team under Therrien is elite. Isn't winning what matters? Clearly, he is winning.

You can of course criticize individual decisions, and want him to do certain things different - but to claim he's a horrible coach just sounds ludicrous to me.

Dear god, how dare you post anything short of "Therrien is the dumbest coach that ever walked on this earth!". Be prepared for two or three pages of people telling you how much of an idiot he is, and how you don't know anything about hockey if you don't see it.

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
People forget that:

d) Babcock has been there for 10 years. 10 playoff appearances. Do you think MT can get a team to 10 straight palyoff appearances?
I figure in your 10th year as a coach it gets even harder to get through to players. MT is already feeling that and he's been coach for 3 seasons.

I personally do not see Habs making the playoffs next year if Price puts up his career averages and no changes are made. I just don't see it. The team's play is not sustainable as it is.

I have more problems with the way he uses/develop players than the wins.

It's just frustrating seeing Subban, Galchenyuk, Eller under MT.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Once again you are coming back with the "last 3 years".

2012-13, the season where we didn't play DA SYSTEM, is seriously skewing our offensive numbers (5th 5v5 GF60 + GF60 Trailing + GF60 Tied and 8th GF60 Leading).

Under DA SYSTEM [2 years] we are: 11th GF60 Leading, 25th GF60 Trailing, 20th GF60 Tied and 25th GF60.
That's some serious regression here bro.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Year 1 - 1st in division

It also sounds ludicrous to most Habs fans...but you have a small group in here that think in a warped way and don't subscribe to logic. If you don't agree with them then you must be wrong...

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
People forget that:

First of all, none of the numbers I put forward included the goalie. When I did, I tried to remove the impact of the goalie as much as possible. So, the point about Detroit's goalies is moote. Besides, that also takes away the Habs' best player from the numbers for 160+ games. If the Habs wouldn't have picked Price in '05 and picked Kopitar instead, Therrien wouldn't be a better coach but would have much stronger team numbers.

Also, Datsyuk and Zetterberg are pretty good horses. Especially when it comes to runing a PP. Habs don't have these kind of playmakers and wizard with the pucks the Wings have eihter.

and your post pretty much sums up my idea in that coaches count for very little. Players do the vast majority of the work. Too much blame on Therrien as most of it comes down to the players in the lineup.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Well people's main arguments to show that Therrien is a bad coach is the PP and 5on5 scoring. Two things Habs have been as good as Detroit over the last 3 years. Detroit might have a better PP% but the odd thing is that the Habs have a better GF%.
GF% is influenced by Price's Hart-calibre play, surely you understand that.

As for this comment you made in the previous thread:

Over this big a sample (3000+ minutes) goals are better predictors of goals than shots are
I don't believe that's entirely true. Team shooting percentage doesn't tend to be consistent from season to season. Here are our last 5 years at 5-on-5, all score situations:

14/15 7.93
13/14 7.44
12/13 8.86
11/12 8.15
10/11 6.77

There's no trend nor consistency here.

Sheesh, look at the Blackhawks in the last five years. Nobody would argue they have trouble scoring goals, yet they had an unusually poor shooting year this year:

14/15 6.87
13/14 8.43
12/13 8.97
11/12 8.07
10/11 8.01

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The one thing most forget at times on this board, we are expressing opinions...not everyone will agree.....there has been info posted to state why people think MT is a good coach, not alot mind you....and people post info stating he is not a good coach....then sides get taken...no biggie...

He couldn't win a Cup with the Pens, and as soon as he was gone, they won...do you honestly think he can help us win a Cup with the Habs...I don't, but I honestly hope I am wrong...

AnotherHabsFan

Behind Enemy Lines
Jan 16, 2015
New Hampshire
If Tampa beats us to the next cup I will be a little upset. They won it not too long ago and since then they have tanked and started anew. What have we been doing all this time?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Over the past three years Detroit gave up 8.0 shots against per 60 minutes of PP time (11th in the league). We gave up 9.5 (23rd in the league). Maybe the fact that we have less GA on the PP is because Price stops those chances.

Proving once again that we are at the bottom of the league in almost every stat that isn't influenced by the goaltender.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
This group must have been led by DD and the Cube?

LeBabs is a good coach, but he may need a small miracle in Toronto, but honestly Randy Carlyle had those guys in a playoff position, but got fired?? Go figure...

I don't think it will be that bad. Toronto still has some talented pieces. You won't see any lazy play on that team anymore.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Dear god, how dare you post anything short of "Therrien is the dumbest coach that ever walked on this earth!". Be prepared for two or three pages of people telling you how much of an idiot he is, and how you don't know anything about hockey if you don't see it.

It also sounds ludicrous to most Habs fans...but you have a small group in here that think in a warped way and don't subscribe to logic. If you don't agree with them then you must be wrong...

Folks there is way too much talking in terms of fanboy vs haters here... make your points without the generalizations. You've been warned before, please don't make generalized flames here.

Consider yourselves warned.

AnotherHabsFan

Behind Enemy Lines
Jan 16, 2015
New Hampshire
Year 1 - 1st in division

It is true that the record has consistently improved over the last few years (besides playoff length), but how much of that is due to our core players maturing and learning from the previous years? I for one think MT is an OK coach, but he has his flaws and I personally don't think we will get to the next level (dominant play, possession numbers and the Cup) until we hire a better coach and land a few talented players through trades.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
First of all, none of the numbers I put forward included the goalie. When I did, I tried to remove the impact of the goalie as much as possible. So, the point about Detroit's goalies is moote. Besides, that also takes away the Habs' best player from the numbers for 160+ games. If the Habs wouldn't have picked Price in '05 and picked Kopitar instead, Therrien wouldn't be a better coach but would have much stronger team numbers.

Also, Datsyuk and Zetterberg are pretty good horses. Especially when it comes to runing a PP. Habs don't have these kind of playmakers and wizard with the pucks the Wings have eihter.

and your post pretty much sums up my idea in that coaches count for very little. Players do the vast majority of the work. Too much blame on Therrien as most of it comes down to the players in the lineup.

2 players?

Datsyuk played 63 games, 45 last year, 47 the year before.
Zetterberg played 77 games, then 45 and 46.

C'mon man...have you actually looked at Detroit's roster the last few years?

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Therrien is an average coach with a good group of players that were very healthy. The second round exit is to be expected until the GM decides to improve on one or both fronts.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
There is no rivalry, it's not like they (TampaBay) are in our division.

image.php

But but Da Record?!

recent picture of MT and Carey Price :

large-man-on-a-horse.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad