News Article: Therrien says Habs’ youngsters to see plenty of action in final weeks

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
so we traded Tinoprdi, who was 7th/8th D with us already, for a guy who MAY be our 7th D next season, assuming he re-sign with the Habs ?

yes that's what it looks like, Tinordi was the 8th D this year, hopefully next year we just go with 7D. Clearly they lost faith in Tinordi and his value was ruined much like Leblanc's was. I sure hope management is looking long and hard at the AHL coaching staff and there piss poor track record of developing prospects in 4 years.

I will say though, in the limited time I've seen him, Bartley has been really solid for the IceCaps. Having him around has made a big impact on the blueline since they are so young and inexperienced. Plus when he's in, Ellis can move back to his natural RD spot and it trickles down as with Bartley there Dietz drops back to the 3rd pairing, without him he's on the top pairing.

Dirby Kach

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2009
You think you are but you're not, Bartley is UFA at season's end, he's also 28 years old. There's no point at all in calling him up to play a NHL game.

Did u even read my post?

I said both Bartley and Ellis are trash.
I'm a better hockey player than both of them combined.
Who cares who plays?
I want whoever gives us the best chance to lose in.
Keep all good youngsters away from this team.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Tinordi, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk were all rushed to the NHL. Galchenyuk showed good things at 18 but that doesn't mean he wasn't rushed. Beaulieu shouldn't have been in the NHL at 20 and 21, he was rushed as he wasn't showing improvement in the AHL on his mistakes yet they brought him up and he showed he wasn't ready. Look at the game vs Pitt, 2 shifts, 2 brutal turnovers that ended up in the back of the net and then he's sent down. Our AHL coaching staff couldn't fix the issues in his game, it took to him working with Gonchar to help get him turned around. Tinordi due to his size was rushed, who knows what would have happened if they kept him in the AHL and had a better coach then Lefebvre that could have worked with him to improve on being more consistent in the AHL.
Beaulieu's possession numbers were great when he first came up. Good enough to make even Douglas Murray look like an NHL player. He looked good in the lineup but the coach kept holding him back. Again, he was yo yo'd up and down, benched whenever he made a mistake and when he did play it was with limited minutes. Meanwhile Cube was 2nd unit PP. And then to make matters worse we forced him into the stupid dump and chase.

As for Chuck, I actually argued for him to spend some time in the minors but he proved to be NHL ready. I had no problem with the decision once I saw him play. When you point to him as an example of what goes wrong when you "rush" an NHL player to the NHL, you are missing the real problem by a wide margin here. There's nothing wrong with him that a real coach can't fix. How in the world does this guy sit behind DD? The guy was top 20 for points per minute in the NHL for centers and we move him to the wing? It's just absolutely ridiculous.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Tinordi, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk were all rushed to the NHL. Galchenyuk showed good things at 18 but that doesn't mean he wasn't rushed. Beaulieu shouldn't have been in the NHL at 20 and 21, he was rushed as he wasn't showing improvement in the AHL on his mistakes yet they brought him up and he showed he wasn't ready. Look at the game vs Pitt, 2 shifts, 2 brutal turnovers that ended up in the back of the net and then he's sent down. Our AHL coaching staff couldn't fix the issues in his game, it took to him working with Gonchar to help get him turned around. Tinordi due to his size was rushed, who knows what would have happened if they kept him in the AHL and had a better coach then Lefebvre that could have worked with him to improve on being more consistent in the AHL.

None of those guys were rushed.
You're being extremely dishonest by saying Beaulieu was in the NHL at 20. Ya, he played 6 games in the NHL as a 20yo, in April. He played 17 in the following one. So, he spent the vast majority of his time in the AHL at 20-21. His first real NHL season was at 22.
It's the same for Tinordi. The kid has played a total 52 NHL games TODAY, as a 24.
How is this being rushed to you? He spent most of his time in the minors as well.

Galchenyuk was fine. He has never looked once out of place in the NHL even as a rookie. The fact he hasn't progressed is more on this coaching staff than anybody else. It's for the same reason nobody on this team shows much creativity in the offensive zone. The coaching staff is one of the worst one I've ever seen to develop an offensive game.

None of these guys have been rushed.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
None of those guys were rushed.
You're being extremely dishonest by saying Beaulieu was in the NHL at 20. Ya, he played 6 games in the NHL as a 20yo, in April. He played 17 in the following one. So, he spent the vast majority of his time in the AHL at 20-21. His first real NHL season was at 22.
It's the same for Tinordi. The kid has played a total 52 NHL games TODAY, as a 24.
How is this being rushed to you? He spent most of his time in the minors as well.

Galchenyuk was fine. He has never looked once out of place in the NHL even as a rookie. The fact he hasn't progressed is more on this coaching staff than anybody else. It's for the same reason nobody on this team shows much creativity in the offensive zone. The coaching staff is one of the worst one I've ever seen to develop an offensive game.

None of these guys have been rushed.
Ryan Spooner has had 56 games prior to this season as an NHLer. I'll bet most people didn't even notice him until this year. But his 56 games is more than what Tinordi got with us. Spooner has now played 59 games this season, and some on the Bruins' first line when Krejci went down. How pathetic are we that Beaulieu has only 142 games of NHL experience and we need to invest the games and icetime in him because he might actually become something more than Bartley, Emelin, and all the Jagens we have used in place of him on the roster.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Beaulieu's possession numbers were great when he first came up. Good enough to make even Douglas Murray look like an NHL player. He looked good in the lineup but the coach kept holding him back. Again, he was yo yo'd up and down, benched whenever he made a mistake and when he did play it was with limited minutes. Meanwhile Cube was 2nd unit PP. And then to make matters worse we forced him into the stupid dump and chase.

As for Chuck, I actually argued for him to spend some time in the minors but he proved to be NHL ready. I had no problem with the decision once I saw him play. When you point to him as an example of what goes wrong when you "rush" an NHL player to the NHL, you are missing the real problem by a wide margin here. There's nothing wrong with him that a real coach can't fix. How in the world does this guy sit behind DD? The guy was top 20 for points per minute in the NHL for centers and we move him to the wing? It's just absolutely ridiculous.

Galchenyuk's perceived inability to produce is actually a lack of ice time and wingers. Because Kucherov could rip a 65 point season because he was playing with Johnson and Palat, while Chucky gets all the second-best players on the team. He is already way ahead of pre-breakout Pacioretty; Pacioretty did much more poorly on the bottom lines than Galchenyuk and was mentally mind screwed as well.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ryan Spooner has had 56 games prior to this season as an NHLer. I'll bet most people didn't even notice him until this year. But his 56 games is more than what Tinordi got with us. Spooner has now played 59 games this season, and some on the Bruins' first line when Krejci went down. How pathetic are we that Beaulieu has only 142 games of NHL experience and we need to invest the games and icetime in him because he might actually become something more than Bartley, Emelin, and all the Jagens we have used in place of him on the roster.

Management needs to take a long hard look at things. Clearly we have issues at the development level, but these guys were hampered also by being rushed. They also have to look at Timmins. Imo they all have a hand in problems. Management for rushing these kids when they clearly weren't ready, the development side for doing such a piss poor job especially with our 1st round picks, and the scouting team. When up to and including the 2010 draft, we have traded every single 1st pick of the draft aside from Price and the bust David Fischer (since trading would have cost us our comp pick).

I have been ranting for the last few years that we have a serious problem in the AHL with the development. I'm not saying it's all on the AHL coaching staff, management, Therrien, Timmins, Lefebvre, all share blame but how much and who's more to blame is something they need to figure out and address.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Management needs to take a long hard look at things. Clearly we have issues at the development level, but these guys were hampered also by being rushed. They also have to look at Timmins. Imo they all have a hand in problems. Management for rushing these kids when they clearly weren't ready, the development side for doing such a piss poor job especially with our 1st round picks, and the scouting team. When up to and including the 2010 draft, we have traded every single 1st pick of the draft aside from Price and the bust David Fischer (since trading would have cost us our comp pick).

I have been ranting for the last few years that we have a serious problem in the AHL with the development. I'm not saying it's all on the AHL coaching staff, management, Therrien, Timmins, Lefebvre, all share blame but how much and who's more to blame is something they need to figure out and address.

None of them were rushed. Beaulieu and Tinordi were never first in the pecking order. A vet was always taking their spot. If they were playing, it was on the bottom pair, with the lowest responsibilities. Tinordi has a career high of 22 games played in a season. That's barely even getting his feet wet. An extended tryout. He played 6 games in October, apparently went back to the AHL, and then got 16 games to round out the season, all while averaging 14 minutes a night. That's barely even using him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Galchenyuk's perceived inability to produce is actually a lack of ice time and wingers. Because Kucherov could rip a 65 point season because he was playing with Johnson and Palat, while Chucky gets all the second-best players on the team. He is already way ahead of pre-breakout Pacioretty; Pacioretty did much more poorly on the bottom lines than Galchenyuk and was mentally mind screwed as well.
I completely agree. At no time has this become more apparent than this season. Even last year he was on fire with Max during his stretch with him and then we pull them apart? Textbook case on how not to manage your roster.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I completely agree. At no time has this become more apparent than this season. Even last year he was on fire with Max during his stretch with him and then we pull them apart? Textbook case on how not to manage your roster.

I look at how the Flyers handle Giroux as exactly how you do it. They drafted him, and he worked his way up slowly but once they saw his potential at centre, they got him there and then when he really showed it there. They traded Richards and Carter and made him 1C with no one to dispute it. Now look at him, he's a stud.

It makes no sense what MTL is doing with him. It's mind ****ing boggling. Philly did what it took to get Giroux into that role and they had good players to move to do it. MTL has NO ONE there to move. They literally just have to put him in that spot and that's it. **** sake.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

No they are being hampered by a biased bad system coach. Nate sometimes had 6 minutes because Sir Benchalot would punish him for his every mistake, including just a few games ago. Not to mention playing behind a lot of terrible dmane in comparison. Chuckie is playing less minutes than our 4th line center. If we drafted crosby do you think he should have anything less than second line minutes by year 4? NO? Then why is our very good draft pick playing less minutes than fourth liners...again This is a pattern.

No there hasn't been any rushing if anything it isn't rushing. Tinner wasn't even playing. At least if he had been in the AHL he might have played well and been devloping. He sat in the pressbox for close to 40 games this year and played in ONLY 2 1/2 games. Because Therrien benched him after his fight. I doubt he had 30 minutes over all three games. That is as far away from rushing a player as you can get. If you aren't even playing at ANY level, you are not being rushed. That I can guarantee.

Should we see how rushed Ghetto has been, even while we have tons of injuries? Jerked up and down the lineup, never a steady line(an MT specialty), from AHL to NHL to AHL to NHL to..
Same old same old.

/nerdstuff. Some people here have a 'bag of holding' filled with excuses why MT isn't as bad as all logic point to.

Last edited:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Case in point. Galchenyuk/Eller/Gallagher worked surprisingly well, and would have been a perfect way of easing Galchenyuk in if the organization felt he wasn't ready to play center. Four years in and Therrien has never gone back to it once. Why? He's obsessed with grinding, which that line didn't do. Frankly, I half believe Galchenyuk isn't played at center because we don't really have any grind oriented left wingers.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Case in point. Galchenyuk/Eller/Gallagher worked surprisingly well, and would have been a perfect way of easing Galchenyuk in if the organization felt he wasn't ready to play center. Four years in and Therrien has never gone back to it once. Why? He's obsessed with grinding, which that line didn't do. Frankly, I half believe Galchenyuk isn't played at center because we don't really have any grind oriented left wingers.

Yep don't understand how despiet injuries and the super blender that lineup has never been reunited. Just like how MT can't have AG or ELler center patches. Incidentally Eller last 3 games centering patches has 3 goals in 3 games and of course gets broken apart. WHY?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

These kids have not been rushed. I have no idea how you came to this bizarre conclusion.
Beaulieu was 24 in his first NHL season. Tinordi, same age, doesn't even have a full season under his belt.
Galchenyuk is the only one you can say was brought in early, but he did quite well actually. The fact he's stagnated is more on the coach and their terrible structure towards developing offensive skills.

Really, you can repeat how they were all rushed, it won't make more sense.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
These kids have not been rushed. I have no idea how you came to this bizarre conclusion.
Beaulieu was 24 in his first NHL season. Tinordi, same age, doesn't even have a full season under his belt.
Galchenyuk is the only one you can say was brought in early, but he did quite well actually. The fact he's stagnated is more on the coach and their terrible structure towards developing offensive skills.

Really, you can repeat how they were all rushed, it won't make more sense.
Because saying they were rushed implicitly absolves some blame away from Therrien and Bergevin's god awful development strategy and overall approach.

They're not to blame! It's our rookies who weren't ready!

Now now, you can say that Beaulieu only made the league well into his 20s, that at 20 he only had a 6 game taste, but that's just semantics! Some of us simply think every mistake he makes is indicative of a terrible bust. We'd rather Barberio and Bartley, Murray and Bouillon, even Drewiskie.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Montreal you're one of the better posters here, but you come off like a deer in the headlight when you say that Beaulieu and Tinordi were rushed.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Tinordi's development was badly mishandled.

He showed promise and was tossed aside in favour of Douglas Murray.

Beaulieu effectively saved what was the high point of this managements tenure; the 2nd round win over Boston.

Over the 1st 5 games, the bottom pairing that had Boullion or Murray on it was eaten alive by the Bruins bottom 6 forwards, Therrien only turned to Beaulieu with his ass on the line.

sterlinggranger

Jan 19, 2016
Paris
Sean Gordon should be ashamed of this article.

If someone (especially if he has a record of doing the exact opposite of what he says) says something, you have to ask him to elaborate. What young players? When will this happen?

None of this will happen.

In fact, in last night's game the opposite took place - more over 25s (79, 15, Bartley) played even more minutes. And Ghetto dropped to 4th line.

MT has being doing this kind of thing for 3 years ... making random statements disconnected from his actions. It's his way of keeping people around him on guessing. It's what incompetent people do to remain in power.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Plekanec 19.3 mins
Pacioretty 17
Gallager 15.3
Eller 14.4
DLR 14.26
Byron 14.2
Dale Weise 14.2
Galchenyuk 13.3
Mitchell 13.22
Fleischmann 12.5
Andrighetto 12.5
DSP 10

lirl

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Montreal you're one of the better posters here, but you come off like a deer in the headlight when you say that Beaulieu and Tinordi were rushed.

Rushed? No. Mishandled? Yes. 2 blue chip studs that of course this management completely flubbed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad