Therrien Part VI - Who the hell is Jack Adams anyway ? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Not sure if there is a stat for this, but the Habs usually have a lot more odd man rushes than they give up. The whole "possession based on shot attempts" thing doesn't incorporate if it's a dump in or a breakaway or anything in between.

be nice if you could back that up but anyone can throw out baseless claims.

From just the eye test i completely disagree. Montreal majority of time, forward is really late attacking and often dump and chase. This isnt condusive to odd man rushes

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
26th in the NHL for shots on goal + 20th in the NHL for missed shots = Not enough shots on goal = Not enough scoring chances.

23rd in the NHL for shots allowed + 3rd in the NHL for Blocked Shots = Too many shots on goal = Too many scoring chances

Now, a shot on goal is a scoring chance.
Shots create rebound (but Price is the best to control those rebound)
Shots create Deflection (About the only way to get through Price)
Shots create lucky goal (Thank god Price isn't giving many banana this year)

6th in the NHL for Giveaways + 23rd in the League for Takeaways +24th in the NHL for hits = WTF are good at?
(Our takeaways vs Our giveaways gives us a -300....2nd worst team in the NHL)

We're a grinding team who don't hit anybody
We're a defensive team unable to keep the puck away from our zone
we're a non puck-possession team unable to create turnovers while giving tons of giveaways.

All this together, including our scoring problems.....including our sucking PP......just not sure how i can praise Therrien for his system.

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
Edmonton has the worst GA/Per game in the league. Surprisingly though they are middle of the pack for shots allowed.

My math has to be off here... If I apply Price's save percentage to Edmonton I'm getting 108 goals less. That can't be right can it?

Edit: I think it might actually be right. They'd come in at 135 goals against (we're at 159 now) because they allow far fewer shots (more than a shot per game) against. So that would make them good for the best "defensive" team in the league by a mile.

That tells a lot as far as relying solely on shots metric to evaluate a team defense.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
26th in the NHL for shots on goal + 20th in the NHL for missed shots = Not enough shots on goal = Not enough scoring chances.

23rd in the NHL for shots allowed + 3rd in the NHL for Blocked Shots = Too many shots on goal = Too many scoring chances

Now, a shot on goal is a scoring chance.
Shots create rebound (but Price is the best to control those rebound)
Shots create Deflection (About the only way to get through Price)
Shots create lucky goal (Thank god Price isn't giving many banana this year)

6th in the NHL for Giveaways + 23rd in the League for Takeaways +24th in the NHL for hits = WTF are good at?
(Our takeaways vs Our giveaways gives us a -300....2nd worst team in the NHL)

We're a grinding team who don't hit anybody
We're a defensive team unable to keep the puck away from our zone
we're a non puck-possession team unable to create turnovers while giving tons of giveaways.

All this together, including our scoring problems.....including our sucking PP......just not sure how i can praise Therrien for his system.
Good question.

I'll put up a new thread and we'll see who wants to try to answer it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad