Therrien Part V - Ender Wiggins Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Got criticized for focusing on "gotcha" comments and not explaining myself in a post that then closed the thread, lol. So...

our pk is awesome, I know, I know, it's all price, but if you watch the pk, you know it's pretty good.

Another metric closely tied to goaltending...

Our defense in markov/subban help alleviate some missing pieces up front, but in order to score more goals we need more talent on offense or open up the play a bit and see if this impacts Price in the meantime.

We need to employ the talent we have better.

DD 1st line C.
Sekac scratched.
Galchenyuk in a 2-way role.
Weise in the Top 3.
Eller marginalized.

We take 3rd and 4th line talent, give it 1st and 2nd line minutes, and laud it when it produces at 2nd and 3rd line rates.

We take 1st and 2nd line talent, give it 2nd and 3rd line minutes, and punish it when it doesn't produce at a 1st line pace.

That's not a talent issue.

Goal ratio at 5vs5 is good

Our goaltender has a .938 sv % and a 1.98 GAA.

We'd essentially have to be Buffalo to have a bad 5 v. 5 ratio.

Actual possession time is good, at least according to one metric.

Is this the metric that uses a completely opaque methodology?

I know it's much more reasonable to think one guy has been carrying the team on his own for 2.5 years. No credit anywhere else, we're winning despite our coach and only one player is contributing to the wins because of how negatively the coach has impacted our superior roster. Does that about sum it up for you?

Yeah, except it misses the part where I say our entire roster is more talented than the "offensively challenged" crowd give t credit for, and that the argument is that CP and the talent level of misused players is what's compensating for MT.

Aside from that, bang on summary.

Pricef*

Hey to make some posters here happy, let's fire MT tomorrow so can hire Boucher and his 1-3-1 system :laugh: plus let's not forget the man can't count (Spengler Cup - too many men on a offensive zone faceoff with goalie pulled!!:laugh::laugh:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Got criticized for focusing on "gotcha" comments and not explaining myself in a post that then closed the thread, lol. So...

You asked why people were arguing. I answered. Where were YOU criticized?

The point stands: If this thread devolves into a series of sarcastic shots at each other -- by anyone -- it'll be shut down.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Oh goody, more inane ravings.

MT bad
DD bad

Eller good
Flavor-of-the-day good

And so on and so on...

1- Montréal 55gp - 76pts
2- NY Islanders 56gp - 76pts
3- Tampa Bay 57gp - 74pts
4- Pittsburgh 56gp - 73pts
5- Detroit 54gp - 72pts

Carry on!

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
You asked why people were arguing. I answered. Where were YOU criticized?

The point stands: If this thread devolves into a series of sarcastic shots at each other -- by anyone -- it'll be shut down.

My bad then!

Glad I wasn't being labelled as one of the sarcastic "shooters" :)

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Oh goody, more inane ravings.

MT bad
DD bad

Eller good
Flavor-of-the-day good

And so on and so on...

1- Montréal 55gp - 76pts
2- NY Islanders 56gp - 76pts
3- Tampa Bay 57gp - 74pts
4- Pittsburgh 56gp - 73pts
5- Detroit 54gp - 72pts

Carry on!

Pretty airtight case :(

So, what do you think about our roster?

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
I don't know why Therrien deviated from the system he implemented in the 2012-2013 season. That season showed us that our current roster is capable of dictating the play and scoring at will. Therrien didn't have to change the system after losing to Ottawa that year as the main reason the Habs lost that series was due to Anderson standing on his head.

This current system has made our offense anemic, and is too passive as more often than not the opposing team has the advantage in terms of possession and scoring chances. Any success in the playoffs will be heavily dependent on how Price plays the rest of the season.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
This thread will be closed if people persist in posting imaginary replies from those who disagree with them. "Now the Therrien lovers/haters will say ___" accomplishes nothing but push people's buttons. State your own opinion, disagree with opinions, but do not create mock-opinions of others.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I don't know why Therrien deviated from the system he implemented in the 2012-2013 season. That season showed us that our current roster is capable of dictating the play and scoring at will.

This current system has made our offense anemic, and is too passive as more often than not the opposing team has the advantage in terms of possession and scoring chances. Any success in the playoffs will be heavily dependent on how Price plays the rest of the season.

...Therrien himself changed his system last year in the playoffs to a more possession/transition/pressure system...it worked against Tampa and Boston, although I will admit Boston outplayed us more often than not and Price was a difference-maker...if nothing else, it shows that adjustments to the system when taking the opposition into account do work for our lineup...the question is why does he not do it in the regular season??...

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
This thread will be closed if people persist in posting imaginary replies from those who disagree with them. "Now the Therrien lovers/haters will say ___" accomplishes nothing but push people's buttons. State your own opinion, disagree with opinions, but do not create mock-opinions of others.

...this could be one of those 4-drink minimum threads, amigo...I hope not, but get the bottle ready, nonetheless...;)

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
There's a few things I would do different (and I am no expert), but the biggest thing for me is the lack of use for Sekac. I actually like MT, I think he does a lot of things right, and has the respect of the team (very important) but that one really irks me. We've given Thomas and Weise chances on the first line, give the Czech kid a shot.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
There's been 20 games this year where the Habs scored only 1 goal or less in regulation. That's 36% of our games.Because we are lucky enough to have the best goaltender in the league, the Habs got a record of 10-9-1......

That's 21 points on the board without scoring 2 goals in regulation. That's huge.

----------

10 games won in Shootout or Overtime.
That's 28% of our wins.
You can't win at 4 on 4 and in shootout when comes the playoff.

-----------

25th for shots on goal / 22nd for shots allowed
We suck at getting pucks on goal so we suck at scoring
We suck at stopping the opponent from shooting.....But there's Price.

-----------

Powerplay is 24th in the league despite having 2 of the best quarterback on D and
one of the best sniper in the league

The team is doing well because of Price......and Therrien's system and decision only seems good because of that goaltender.
Most players are under performing and i see young kids not progressing one bit.

Without Price, pretty sure Therrien is already back with his friends on l'Antichambre.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

I feel as if many threads on this board can use this warning.:laugh:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
There's been 20 games this year where the Habs scored only 1 goal or less in regulation. That's 36% of our games.Because we are lucky enough to have the best goaltender in the league, the Habs got a record of 10-9-1......

That's 21 points on the board without scoring 2 goals in regulation. That's huge.

----------

That's 28% of our wins.

-----------

-----------

Powerplay is 24th in the league despite having 2 of the best quarterback on D and

The team is doing well because of Price......and Therrien's system and decision only seems good because of that goaltender.

Without Price, pretty sure Therrien is already back with his friends on l'Antichambre.
Repeat required. And if the actual stats aren't enough just watch games. Why are we always playing from behind? Why is it even when we have a lead the system never helps to seal the deal and we usually end up giving a goal or two in the third. Questions questions.

Pricef*

Pretty good, but certainly not the best in the conference or top 5 in the league.

Hence the absurdity of these threads...

Bang on!! Unfortunately though we are stuck in this never ending thread of absurdity!!

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

----------

That's 28% of our wins.

-----------

-----------

. All valid points.

Now swap places with Detroit. They have 10 overtime losses. We only have 4 OT losses. That speaks to the tenacity and mental toughness of the Habs. As said earlier, the players are responsible for their actions on the ice. Looking at the confidence of the Habs in the 3rd Periods and in OT, it's obvious the Habs are buying into what Therrien is preaching.

Could this team be better? Sure. Is Therrien a bumbling idiot who has lost the room and the players are winning in spite of him? No way.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
. All valid points.

Now swap places with Detroit. They have 10 overtime losses. We only have 4 OT losses. That speaks to the tenacity and mental toughness of the Habs. As said earlier, the players are responsible for their actions on the ice. Looking at the confidence of the Habs in the 3rd Periods and in OT, it's obvious the Habs are buying into what Therrien is preaching.

Could this team be better? Sure. Is Therrien a bumbling idiot who has lost the room and the players are winning in spite of him? No way.

Would be a whole lot better if we didn't need to get to overtime, Winning in OT and shootout does not equal buying in. Howard vs Price mean anything? Don't hear howards name being put into the vezina talks all that often do ya.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
. All valid points.

You're talking about tenacity and mental toughness....you're talking about Detroit and their OTL....Seriously, what this got to do with Therrien's coaching?

Our 4 OT are also a result of Price.
Our confidence is a result of Price.
Our tenacity is a result of Price.

And the players aren't winning in spite of Therrien....but Price is winning despite of Therrien's system.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Would be a whole lot better if we didn't need to get to overtime, Winning in OT and shootout does not equal buying in. Howard vs Price mean anything? Don't hear howards name being put into the vezina talks all that often do ya.

Are there any teams that have not gone to OT this season in the NHL?

Frustration results when expectations exceed reality.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
You're talking about tenacity and mental toughness....you're talking about Detroit and their OTL....Seriously, what this got to do with Therrien's coaching?

Our 4 OT are also a result of Price.
Our confidence is a result of Price.
Our tenacity is a result of Price.

And the players aren't winning in spite of Therrien....but Price is winning despite of Therrien's system.

OK. Shut the thread down.

Let's just create a Price thread and praise him when we win and curse him when we lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad