Therrien Part IV - This Time, It's Personal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
...the GA of this team isn't the stat you want to use when talking team, unless you want a plethora of people bringing up we're Bottom 1/3 in shots against...just saying...;)

Did you overlook the goal differential part of my post amigo?

Scoring more goals than allowing goals is the object of the game that is played by a team.

Having the lowest GA in the League while having a negative goal differential would be detrimental for success. However, that is not the case for the Habs.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Carey Price is a huge reason, of course, I've never denied this, but to think a single player is solely responsible for all the teams success is a little naive, no?

To be fair, I can't "spin" an intangible...we win more games, but why?

You say Therrien isn't a great coach.

You say the Habs lack serious firepower.

So how are we winning games, exactly?

So we're not winning games solely due to CP, we're not winning due to coaching, we're lacking serious offensive ability...so we're first in the East thanks to heart?

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
It would be curious if I agreed with it, but you honestly think the team is abandoning the coach here all on their own free-will? You don't think stubborn Therrien would try to lay the hammer down at some point? You don't think the GM and coach would discuss this and see it as a problem, either MB saying, "Hey, if the players don't listen to the coach" maybe we should get a different coach. I dunno dude.

...the team isn't abandoning anything, they are exploiting a weakness on the ice when it is made available; the basis of Therrien's system is still there, but the players would be foolish not to take advantage of the weaknesses of the opposition...

You seemed to insinuate that I didn't want to credit the best goalie in the league, nothing could be further from the truth. He's been outstanding.

...not at all how I meant it; I was actually trying to dissuade Winter Eclipse from continuing on that course, as it would only lead to more unnecessary arguments...apologies if I came across the wrong way...;)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
When you started your post with "When I was 10.....", I stopped reading there.

Thank you for at least trying to engage in a discussion a couple of posts ago before devolving into an insult.

To anyone else who read my post for what it was, it was an explanation that the Habs have a lot of average/below average (take your pick) players who do play a role.......and a very important role......for the Habs.

And the reason I took that approach was to address the "lack of scoring" by the Habs and the blame being assigned to Therrien.

It's only an insult if you miss the point. I gain nothing from insulting anybody here. I'm trying to show you how basic and simplistic your approach to rate our players is.
Is Prust average compared to Voracek? No, he's bad. Is he average compared guys like Neil? No, he's actually pretty good. So why you use points as your measurement is really peculiar here.
Were you using points rating Parros or Murray? Of course not. That would be crazy right? Well then I don't see why you do it with some of the guys you named.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I don't know, man.

I still think it's all Carey Price.

When was the last time the team bailed out Price when he was playing bad?

I'm pretty sure when he has a bad night, we lose.

Think back to the Edmonton game on Feb. 12 when Tokarski was in net. Three of the 4 goals scored by Edmonton were because of DMen being out of position.

When our DMen are playing solid positional hockey and the team is playing solid defensive hockey, Price's job becomes easier.

With that said, the Habs are fortunate to have Carey Price playing as well as he is this season.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The underlying numbers seem to improving slightly as of late. I'm not sure why it can't be both. Of course Carey has been lights out, but no single player is capable of carrying a team for 2.5 years by himself.

It's not one single player. It's obvious who's our MVP, but it's our overall talent as well, Patches, PK, Plek, Markov, Galch, Gallagher, they are the driving force of this team.

But during the lockout season, we played great. Pretty much everybody that are the most vocal critics today were crediting him during that season for employing that aggressive forecheck system. They applauded him for seemingly having changed his ways. They didn't just lose their mind and decide to flip their opinions for the sake of it.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
So we're not winning games solely due to CP, we're not winning due to coaching, we're lacking serious offensive ability...so we're first in the East thanks to heart?

Theres alot more to the game than coaching and goaltending. You don't need the absolute best in all areas to win games.

our pk is awesome, I know, I know, it's all price, but if you watch the pk, you know it's pretty good.

Our defense in markov/subban help alleviate some missing pieces up front, but in order to score more goals we need more talent on offense or open up the play a bit and see if this impacts Price in the meantime.

Goal ratio at 5vs5 is good

Actual possession time is good, at least according to one metric. I know it's much more reasonable to think one guy has been carrying the team on his own for 2.5 years. No credit anywhere else, we're winning despite our coach and only one player is contributing to the wins because of how negatively the coach has impacted our superior roster. Does that about sum it up for you?

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
...not at all how I meant it; I was actually trying to dissuade Winter Eclipse from continuing on that course, as it would only lead to more unnecessary arguments...apologies if I came across the wrong way...;)

But if we all agree that Carey Price is the driving force behind our team, why would we be arguing? :)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
But if we all agree that Carey Price is the driving force behind our team, why would we be arguing? :)

Because some people would rather post 'gotcha' comebacks than explain their opinion and learn from other opinions.

Thread has reached its limit. People can continue if they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad