Therrien - Into the Playoffs Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Continue here...

Also as per Andy's earlier warnings, please keep on topic. Focus your arguments on Therrien, not individual posters. No need for personal stuff.

I'm switching sides for this thread, gonna take you out LG, leave you in the dust.

I'll start.

The Habs do not have the talent people say they do. Therrien needs to play this conservative style to eke out the wins. The lack of talent is on MB, not MT.

Go with your strengths. Price is the best player, build around that. Allowing more shots does no harm, and allows for the stretch pass and quick transition.

Dump and chase is used by all teams, and in fact is the safe play in most cases. Again, this skews possession, but does no harm.

Even if the team does not like him, they must at least fear him, as they do play for him. The team is unified.

We don't know the whole story. Perhaps Chuckie felt too much pressure. In which case, DD needs to play C, this last year. We should give the team the benefit of the doubt. Give chuckie a bit more time to mature.

Eller once again is showing that he is a beast at end of season. MT must be pushing some buttons right with him.

His D deployment has been pretty good, and he has played the kids much more this year.

The woeful PP is as much on the players as it is on MT. And I still think it will come around, like it did last year against Boston.

I feel that my arguments are rock solid, and there is simply no way you can refute them. I will understand if you want to concede now, and will accept your congratulations with grace, and good will.

Last edited:

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
I'm switching sides for this thread, gonna take you out LG, leave you in the dust.

I'll start.

The Habs do not have the talent people say they do. Therrien needs to play this conservative style to eke out the wins. The lack of talent is on MB, not MT.

Go with your strengths. Price is the best player, build around that. Allowing more shots does no harm, and allows for the stretch pass and quick transition.

Dump and chase is used by all teams, and in fact is the safe play in most cases. Again, this skews possession, but does no harm.

Even if the team does not like him, they must at least fear him, as they do play for him. The team is unified.

We don't know the whole story. Perhaps Chuckie felt too much pressure. In which case, DD needs to play C, this last year. We should give the team the benefit of the doubt. Give chuckie a bit more time to mature.

Eller once again is showing that he is a beast at end of season. MT must be pushing some buttons right with him.

His D deployment has been pretty good, and he has played the kids much more this year.

The woeful PP is as much on the players as it is on MT. And I still think it will come around, like it did last year against Boston.

I feel that my arguments are rock solid, and there is simply no way you can refute them. I will understand if you want to concede now, and will accept your congratulations with grace, and good will.
Therrien had Crosby, Malkin, Ketang and Fleury and could not win a cup, was that on the GM as well? We have Price, Subban, two Gallys and Patches. Not quite Criosby and Malkin but not bad. The habs need to play to their strength which is speed. Like Tampa and the Rangers. Both teams hate to give up the puck and when they do they persue it. Look at the 5 games against Tampa, outshot, outplayed, out scored and out coached. My reason for saying this is simple, after losing four games to Tampa already we played the fufth the exact same way we lost the previous four. Wide open slots for Tampa, numerous odd man rushes for Tampa and we still had no answer to their game. MT is not an NHL stanley cup coach and as many others have said this year without Price winning 7-8 games on his own we are a wild card team.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I'll start.

Like the true coward I am, I'll let somebody else do my fighting for me. :)

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I feel like the clock is at least finally ticking on Therrien. Feels good... sort of. His ineptitude is at least universally acknowledged as a point of debate, anyway. The only drawback is that taking it to the inevitable conclusion is going to involve a painful outcome for us, sooner or later, in all likelihood. :(

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I feel like the clock is at least finally ticking on Therrien. Feels good... sort of. His ineptitude is at least universally acknowledged as a point of debate, anyway. The only drawback is that taking it to the inevitable conclusion is going to involve a painful outcome for us, sooner or later, in all likelihood. :(

060512-NHL-michel-therrien-LN-PI_20120605113853627_660_320.jpg

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

I'll start.

In 2012-13 the Habs mustered 149 goals in just 48 games; an on pace average of 3 goals per game, which prorates to 255.

With only three games left, the 2015 Habs stand likely to score less than 220. Bear in mind this team boasts the same Norris winner from 2013, a vastly improved Pacioretty and essentially the same roster overall. The only real difference is a notably better Eller, but he also saw substantially better minutes.

So care to explain why a near identical team can score potentially fifty more goals, yet somehow forgot how to do that two years later?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Sad as it is, if I were given a definitive ultimatum where losing in a sweep or just getting outright embarrassed guaranteed him getting canned. It would be difficult not to sacrifice the season for the long-term success.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
In 2012-13 the Habs mustered 149 goals in just 48 games; an on pace average of 3 goals per game, which prorates to 255.

With only three games left, the 2015 Habs stand likely to score less than 220. Bear in mind this team boasts the same Norris winner from 2013, a vastly improved Pacioretty and essentially the same roster overall. The only real difference is a notably better Eller, but he also saw substantially better minutes.

So care to explain why a near identical team can score potentially fifty more goals, yet somehow forgot how to do that two years later?

I think he was being sarcastic.

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
Lets see how the Habs react to comments about the power play woes. Therrien acknowledges it, Subban acknowledges it and says more traffic is needed in front of the net. To me its all on the players , they know that they have to find a way to make it happen by any means possible. The coaches can draw xs and os all day long but the players are the ones that can make it happen on the ice. They have been scoring goals from a very young age.Instincts should be kicking in.Go boys, Show us what you have in you.

Nynja*

Except you dont go against what your coach tells you. If you do that and you succeed, they MIGHT be nice to you. If you go against what they tell you to do, and you fail, oh boy you're ****ed.

Do you go against your boss's orders? Absolutely not.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
What a gem, will MT dare to go with lil DD as the top C into the playoffs? stay tuned.

It's like people who insist the Earth is flat. It runs contrary to known facts, unassailable evidence, common sense, and the proclamation of experts.

So, yes. DD will start with Pacioretty 5 on 5 and lead the PP going into the playoffs.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's like people who insist the Earth is flat. It runs contrary to known facts, unassailable evidence, common sense, and the proclamation of experts.

So, yes. DD will start with Pacioretty 5 on 5 and lead the PP going into the playoffs.
Geez, now we have to actually HOPE this is true. Who knows if Max will even be in the playoffs to begin with...

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

Am I really prepared to keep going with this position? What the hell, I want to see if I can out do die hard DD supporters.

-larger sample of games
-statistical regression to mean
-and yes, deliberate change in philosophy. Not necessarily a bad one given Price's play and the results.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Like the true coward I am, I'll let somebody else do my fighting for me. :)

Too bad, you would have done well. I have made one reply in this devil's advocate guise so far, and I found even that to be horribly difficult. The words are not flowing, they just lie there, unshaven, hungover, in yesterday's boxer shorts.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Therrien had Crosby, Malkin, Ketang and Fleury and could not win a cup, was that on the GM as well? We have Price, Subban, two Gallys and Patches. Not quite Criosby and Malkin but not bad. The habs need to play to their strength which is speed. Like Tampa and the Rangers. Both teams hate to give up the puck and when they do they persue it. Look at the 5 games against Tampa, outshot, outplayed, out scored and out coached. My reason for saying this is simple, after losing four games to Tampa already we played the fufth the exact same way we lost the previous four. Wide open slots for Tampa, numerous odd man rushes for Tampa and we still had no answer to their game. MT is not an NHL stanley cup coach and as many others have said this year without Price winning 7-8 games on his own we are a wild card team.

Habs don't have near the offensive talent Tampa has IMO, and with a couple of exceptions Price has been average against them this year. Hence, they swept us. Not much MT could have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad