ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
9VF3Ivp.png

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Despite what Therrien’s diehard supporters will claim, Weise’s insertion into a top-six role is not a result of Weise’s ‘versatility’ but merely a stop-gap measure for a coach who often has very few ideas on how to jump start a stuttering offence.

So far in December we've scored 22 goals in 7 games, good for 3.14 goals per game. If that pace were to continue (not saying it will) that would put us 4th in the league in goals per game.

I'm just curious as to how do you define a "stuttering" (not sure if you meant "sputtering"?) offense if 3.14 goals per game isn't good enough for you.

What kind of hockey background does Josh Greenwald have? Just curious.

From the article:

Josh is the head writer and Managing Editor for UHN. Growing up a fan of the Montreal Canadiens, Josh also started following the Sabres while attending Brock University in southern Ontario. After nearly six years abroad with stints in South Korea and Qatar, Josh has returned to his homeland and made camp in our nation's capital. His articles cover the Habs, Sabres, hockey in general and fantasy hockey.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Josh is the head writer and Managing Editor for UHN. Growing up a fan of the Montreal Canadiens, Josh also started following the Sabres while attending Brock University in southern Ontario. After nearly six years abroad with stints in South Korea and Qatar, Josh has returned to his homeland and made camp in our nation's capital. His articles cover the Habs, Sabres, hockey in general and fantasy hockey.

Impressive, with such qualifications he could one day aspire to be an hfboards mod.

eFFeRR

Major League Hockey
Dec 11, 2013
What was wrong with the article?. He made some good points. Most of which is already preached on the HFBoards.

PricePkPatch*

What was wrong with the article?. He made some good points. Most of which is already preached on the HFBoards.

Thats the thing. If i want to read the opinion of someone who's greatest qualification is being a fan, i'll just read HFBoards.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
So far in December we've scored 22 goals in 7 games, good for 3.14 goals per game. If that pace were to continue (not saying it will) that would put us 4th in the league in goals per game.

I'm just curious as to how do you define a "stuttering" (not sure if you meant "sputtering"?) offense if 3.14 goals per game isn't good enough for you.

From the article:

I guess December has improved. I think it's important to note their was a drastic lineup change that happened in December, offense was very different before and after...

-With DD as number 1C = 2.25 goals per game (25th in the NHL)
-With Galchenyuk as number 1C = 4.33 goals per game (1st in the NHL by a large margin)

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006

I can tell you with some certainty that it won't.

They've scored 22 goals, the 7th-highest total in the league, but on a mere 181 shots, the 6th-lowest total in the league.

That's a 12% shooting percentage, which is already fairly high for a forward, let alone a whole team. Average shooting percentage in all situations like this, league-wide, is around 9%.

So you can expect them to lose around a quarter of their goals going forward, unless they increase their shot production (and there's not much reason to believe they will, seeing as they have one of the lowest shot productions in the league since the beginning of 13-14...)

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site

They've scored 22 goals, the 7th-highest total in the league, but on a mere 181 shots, the 6th-lowest total in the league.

That's a 12% shooting percentage, which is already fairly high for a forward, let alone a whole team. Average shooting percentage in all situations like this, league-wide, is around 9%.

So you can expect them to lose around a quarter of their goals going forward, unless they increase their shot production (and there's not much reason to believe they will, seeing as they have one of the lowest shot productions in the league since the beginning of 13-14...)

Very good point. Those shots on goal are disturbing and the high shooting percentage has masked a lot of poor play. I still don't like the way this team is being coached and it is not restricted to line combinations... it is the style of play that Therrien and his staff have employed.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Which suggests to me that our lack of offensive production has little to do with "Therrien's tinkering" and everything to do with the personnel - the Habs simply don't have the guns to score a lot of goals, and they rely more on their defense and goaltending to win games. I don't think that's really news to anyone though.

Last year we were 21st in goals per game with 2.55. Today we're 17th in goals per game with 2.59 per game and I suspect we'll probably finish somewhere around there again.

So we're not at all any worse than we were last year, and recently (month of December) our goal scoring has been even better (even if we both agree it's probably not sustainable). It's this notion that we need to jump start a suddenly faltering offense that I take issue with because it's not really an accurate depiction of reality at all.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I'll never click a link to an HF Partner if their post is nothing but the link. If you want me to click on your website and give you your ad revenue, post a paragraph or two from the article here. If I like the preview, I'll finish the article.

That goes for every single HF Partner, and not just you.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I'll never click a link to an HF Partner if their post is nothing but the link. If you want me to click on your website and give you your ad revenue, post a paragraph or two from the article here. If I like the preview, I'll finish the article.

That goes for every single HF Partner, and not just you.

Good point. I totally agree.

A post with just a link is meh.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Looks like the work of a former English teacher in Korea and Qatar; I've seen these guys in Japan while I was working in Tsukuba. They often find it difficult to find a position at home with the same status and earning power, if teaching English is the extent of their professional qualifications. Hopefully he understands the difference between sputtering and stuttering.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Which suggests to me that our lack of offensive production has little to do with "Therrien's tinkering" and everything to do with the personnel - the Habs simply don't have the guns to score a lot of goals, and they rely more on their defense and goaltending to win games. I don't think that's really news to anyone though.

Last year we were 21st in goals per game with 2.55. Today we're 17th in goals per game with 2.59 per game and I suspect we'll probably finish somewhere around there again.

So we're not at all any worse than we were last year, and recently (month of December) our goal scoring has been even better (even if we both agree it's probably not sustainable). It's this notion that we need to jump start a suddenly faltering offense that I take issue with because it's not really an accurate depiction of reality at all.

It's less to do with the personnel and more to do with how the personnel is used. If you have ever wondered why the Habs suffer so many icing calls and create so few scoring chances, take a look at their breakout plans. It all starts in the defensive zone.

It is the equivalent of an NFL quarterback trying to throw a long touchdown pass on every play. When it works, it is spectacular but the success rate is low.

There is no semblance of a coordinated breakout and a puck possession game.

To me it looks like the team's success is in spite of the coach and not because of the coach.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Looks like the work of a former English teacher in Korea and Qatar; I've seen these guys in Japan while I was working in Tsukuba. They often find it difficult to find a position at home with the same status and earning power, if teaching English is the extent of their professional qualifications. Hopefully he understands the difference between sputtering and stuttering.

Ouch. Rough but fair. I like it! :laugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Habs are 5th in 5 on 5 GF. The reason we drop to 17th is mostly because of the 5 on 4, where we're 24th, and we know we could play much better on the PP.
We have the personnel to score. Quite frankly, Max-Galch-Galla-Eller-Plek-PAP-Markov-PK...I really don't understand how anybody could conclude that we don't have players that can score. We're not an offensive firepower, but we have enough talent to pot some in.
We were also one of the best producers in 12-13.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
South Korea and Qatar -- major hockey hotbeds. Imagine the insider info you can mine over there. :sarcasm:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Throughout his second stint as the head coach of the Montreal Canadiens, one common criticism that has stuck to Michel Therrien has been his stubborn persistent penchant for sticking with certain line combinations, despite often disappointing results.

Some great writing there to start the article.

Habs_Apostle

Feb 22, 2004
Ohhhh Therrien's Tinkerings, sounds kinky. Seriously, sounds like someone that posts here or that reads what's written here regularly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad