Friedman: "There's still a big possibility that San Jose has to honor Kane's contract and that Kane has to return to SJ"

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I highly doubt that happens. The arbitrator would be giving San Jose an advantage (having Kane back as an asset to use in trade) as a punishment. It would also likely hurt Kane, who can likely get a similar contract with longer term this summer.
Nobody is giving Kane another 7M contract for 3+ years :laugh: Guy is a complete locker room cancer, who cares if he put up good numbers next to McDavid.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Imagine being able to continually screw up over and over and over yet still continue to make millions and not really lose a beat?

Meanwhile in normal life a great hardworking person accidently makes a mistake and gets fired and him and his family struggle just to pay basic bills and go in debt
If you are top .1% in the world at whatever your profession is, you likely won't be unemployed for long (and likely have a job with severance or own your own business). That's what NHLers are, just in a profession that pays absolutely insane money because a large amount of people watch/enjoy the product.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
@mouser
At this point, it seems like Kane would prefer to be UFA and sign wherever he wants. Could he and the Sharks cut a deal to settle this past season then agree to mutually terminate the remaining years of the contract. I’m thinking something like the Sharks agree to pay Kane the difference between what he was owed and what he made with the Oilers and take that cap hit for this current season.

The NHL, SJ, PA and Kane would all have to agree on any settlement deal. That's what happened with Mike Richards.

I haven't seen any reports so far that the NHL and PA may be considering settling rather then going to a arbitration ruling. I'm inclined to expect that's what will happen though.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Friedman on the Marek show regarding Kane and SJ

- Arbitrator has yet to rule whether or not SJ had the right to terminate Kane's long term contract
- If Arbitrator rules in favor of Kane, then Kane will return to SJ under his old contract next season.

Friedman then speculates if Edmonton would trade for that contract as he thinks Edmonton has put it as a priority to re-sign Kane this off-season.

Fyi- Kane's contract that was rightfully or wrongfully terminated by SJ would have 3 yrs left with a 7mil AAV.

Oilers couldn’t afford Kane at 7 million. If this happens SJ either retains or has a long term issue on their hands.

Kane was great in Edmonton, his play with McDavid likely doesn’t increase his perceived value outside of Edmonton though.

That contract passed waivers and many still seem sour on Kane league wide.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Oilers couldn’t afford Kane at 7 million. If this happens SJ either retains or has a long term issue on their hands.

Kane was great in Edmonton, his play with McDavid likely doesn’t increase his perceived value outside of Edmonton though.

That contract passed waivers and many still seem sour on Kane league wide.
Edmonton IS the Kane market, unless he takes sweet heart deals for 1-3 million. Which he likely can't afford to do

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
How was he able to sign another contract without it being absolutely concrete and factual that his deal with the sharks was legally terminated? He shouldn't have been able to sign a new deal until his grievance was settled and the termination of his contract was 100% set in stone. Very odd situation.

It blows my mind that Kane was able to sign a new deal, play the rest of the season, play 3/4 of the playoffs, and finish his new deal all before it being settled whether or not the sharks even had the right to buy out his old contract. Pretty sure that should have been sorted out before hand.

I can see them having to pay him the full amount of his old deal, but to force him to go back to the sharks? Nah. Won't happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeune Poulet

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Edmonton IS the Kane market, unless he takes sweet heart deals for 1-3 million. Which he likely can't afford to do

This whole situation seems a mess but that Edmonton interest in Kane likely had a cap max around 5. Club simply doesn’t have the needed cap.

If SJ won’t retain they can have Kassian for him. Otherwise they can see if they can come to a mutual termination with Kanes camp.

Reactions: TFHockey

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
This whole situation seems a mess but that Edmonton interest in Kane likely had a cap max around 5. Club simply doesn’t have the needed cap.

If SJ won’t retain they can have Kassian for him. Otherwise they can see if they can come to a mutual termination with Kanes camp.
It'll be interesting, His 3 team list likely wont deviate from Vancouver, Edmonton and Seattle. Hopefully Rutherford/Allvin don't do something silly

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
This is a very interesting topic. There are a few things I could speculate why Kane has to file a grievance.

Is it possible that Kane has to try every avenue possible to try and get the Sharks to fulfill the monetary compensation which was agreed to originally for legal reasons for the bankruptcy obligations. The creditors could speculate that the Sharks were doing Kane a favor as he greatly benefits in this situation. Also Sharks relieve themselves of the relationship which is hugely beneficial money/cap wise and the teams internal fracturing of Kane with his teammates.

This could be a way to tie up some legal loose ends for Kane, the Sharks and the NHL.

Will be interesting to see how the arbitrator does rule on this, it could throw a wrench in the NHL's and PA's process and their own ruling.

It could be possible that Kane's off ice situations, decisions and internal teams relationships weren't enough to void the contract even if the NHL and PA thought it was.

I sure hope this doesn't drag on for a extended period of time. It would be kind of embarrassing for the league and PA.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Seeing that contract is tied to his debts and Edmonton wants him back, him and SJ can just do a mutual termination as I’m sure SJ doesn’t want him back either

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
How was he able to sign another contract without it being absolutely concrete and factual that his deal with the sharks was legally terminated? He shouldn't have been able to sign a new deal until his grievance was settled and the termination of his contract was 100% set in stone. Very odd situation.

It blows my mind that Kane was able to sign a new deal, play the rest of the season, play 3/4 of the playoffs, and finish his new deal all before it being settled whether or not the sharks even had the right to buy out his old contract. Pretty sure that should have been sorted out before hand.

I can see them having to pay him the full amount of his old deal, but to force him to go back to the sharks? Nah. Won't happen.

There was a report the NHL and PA agreed it was okay to proceed in this fashion, with Kane signing a new contract while the grievance was still pending.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
How is it tampering if he currently does not have a contract with San Jose?

The arbitrator hasn’t rendered a decision yet and Kane is still an Oiler.
Sarcasm-2.gif

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Sort of. Technically Richards is not considered a precedent. Though the NHL and PA could negotiate a similar settlement for Kane.

Haven't seen any reports that they're considering doing so at this time though.

The rest of the NHL was pretty pissed off with the Richards settlement and required that teams not be allowed to use it as a precedent in the future.

A source also said Richards' settlement includes non-precedent language so that other teams in similar positions cannot cite the Richards case.

This is the only quote I can find quickly right now but it was discussed in more detail at the time.

NHL defends Richards-Kings settlement as legit

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
If this happens SJ can retain 50% and find a market for Kane at 3.5m x 3, they might even get a nice asset for that.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Now that Kane's worth something the Sharks want him back?

Not really but if the Sharks can make a deal then both parties win.

Provided Edmonton wants Kane long term at $7 million. One million yes. Seven is a no in my books. Don't care if he scored 40 points in theplayoffs.

smytty

Aug 1, 2015
Bettman ruled that his sharks contract was still valid and Edmonton was using an illegal player for the playoffs. All wins have been removed and Edmonton must forfeit their next three first-round picks.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Why are they determining this now after he played half a season and 3 playoffs series affecting other teams playoffs. Hard to defend the stupid shit this league does

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
If he’s reassigned, he’s never pulling a teal sweater on again. He’ll be traded along with his contract. There are teams that will do it. Good for us in any light.
Yes, if stuck with the contract the Sharks will just demote him to the AHL like they did last time. The team does not want him around.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
How in the world could he Play in edmonton?

If his contract was potentially valid? He should have been sent home without pay and suspended

Pay goes in trust and if the arbitrator decides he wins he gets his money?

The NHL is so dumb.

Guy plays in playoffs and injures kadri when he is on contrac with another team

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Seeing that contract is tied to his debts and Edmonton wants him back, him and SJ can just do a mutual termination as I’m sure SJ doesn’t want him back either
I think this is where it comes out, as it is in the best interest of both the Sharks and Kane for the contract to be terminated. Kane took out personal loans secured by his Sharks contract and, depending on how his bankruptcy plays out, it is possible his creditors could still have access to those funds. If he signs a new contract, it may diminish any access they may have to future earnings.

And it is still very possible he gets pinched for fraud. It would be interesting to see what happens in that situation.

Reactions: Leafs87

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
How in the world could he Play in edmonton?

If his contract was potentially valid? He should have been sent home without pay and suspended

Pay goes in trust and if the arbitrator decides he wins he gets his money?

The NHL is so dumb.

Guy plays in playoffs and injures kadri when he is on contrac with another team

How can they stop him from playing somewhere when his contract was terminated? He should have had to sit and wait for them to determine it? Why should a player be punished for what might have been getting illegally fired in the first place? If they determine it wasn’t illegal he sat for what? If it turns out it was illegal he was punished for what?

1. He no longer had a contract because the Sharks terminated it. Meaning he is free to sign anywhere.

2. The termination may have been illegal and the Sharks may still be bound to it.

both of these statements can be true at the same time.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
How can they stop him from playing somewhere when his contract was terminated? He should have had to sit and wait for them to determine it? Why should a player be punished for what might have been getting illegally fired in the first place? If they determine it wasn’t illegal he sat for what? If it turns out it was illegal he was punished for what?

1. He no longer had a contract because the Sharks terminated it. Meaning he is free to sign anywhere.

2. The termination may have been illegal and the Sharks may still be bound to it.

both of these statements can be true at the same time.
It’s amazing how tough this is for 80 percent of the posters here to understand. They terminated the contract. He was a free agent. Now the appeal of their termination will be heard. If the Sharks lose it doesn’t mean he was still under contract to them as an Oiler. . Because he wasn’t.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad