Post-Game Talk: There's Nothing Fine-a then Losing in Carolina: Canes 6, Leafs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Problem is my fallback team has always been the Flames.:(

They might lose like the Leafs have recently, but at least they work hard

I'm a diehard Leafs fan but moved to Calgary 6 years ago, making my Western Conference team the Flames ... It's a tough time to cheer for hockey right now

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
They might lose like the Leafs have recently, but at least they work hard

I'm a diehard Leafs fan but moved to Calgary 6 years ago, making my Western Conference team the Flames ... It's a tough time to cheer for hockey right now

My girlfriend is a Canucks fan so they're my fallback...it's a hell of a lot greener on that side of the fence.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
WTF fall back team.....means that you are not a Leaf fan.....I cheer only for the Leafs....

They are a rudderless team .....Big changes need to happen.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
I was watching TV and saw JML's interview on the NHL network after the game. Even when given the opportunity to say something bad about Carlyle/Leafs, he took the high road and gave a lot of credit to the coaching staff in the Marlies for being there for him.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
This feels eerily similar to the epic collapse a couple years ago when Wilson got fired eventually.

I hope Nonis doesn't wait until it's impossible to make the playoffs to make some changes.

Gleason isn't going to turn around this train wreck. Coaching and player changes need to be made.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
It's mindboggling for sure .. I have no idea how they can get some complacent considering they have dominated a mediorce team the entire game all year .. I believe it ties into another thing you said:

Prior to the Winter Classic, this team had an 'on' switch that when they focused and player their game they were hard to beat .. This came against tougher opponents like Chicago and LA .. But they lack to blue collar work ethic that's required to beat the bad teams when skill just isn't cutting it

Lack of effort is the best way to describe it ... And based on what I saw from 24/7 Carlyle leaves it to the players to motivate themselves .. Maybe that is part of the problem

I think it's more like:

- Defense gets tired of forwards breaking in but not being able to sustain a cycle and pressure, forcing the D to backpeddle frequently to defend
- Forwards get tired of defense making poorly timed pinches that lead to turnovers and goals
It would be fair to suggest that. However, that would suggest poor offensive participation by our defenceman. Since the first pair is dealing with tough defensive, we really need to question our offensive pairings. Franson, Gardiner are very limited in driving offence.

Mar 26, 2010
This feels eerily similar to the epic collapse a couple years ago when Wilson got fired eventually.

I hope Nonis doesn't wait until it's impossible to make the playoffs to make some changes.

Gleason isn't going to turn around this train wreck. Coaching and player changes need to be made.

Gleason sucks. Waive him!

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
The defensemen are afraid to be first on the puck because they might get hurt. The forwards have absolutely no desire to fight for pucks along the wall , that's provided that they're even along the wall, which most of the time is not the case since they're too busy circling around and cherry picking. Game in and game out no attention to detail whatsoever , no ability to do the little things right and no compete. This idea that they think that they're some kind of quick strike offense is a total joke. I don't think they make the playoffs. There's way to many floaters on that team. I watch good teams play and I think to myself I wish my team played like that and then reality sets in. It isn't going to happen until they get the right type of players, smart, responsible, work ethic and a willingness to sacrifice for the team.

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
The culture of this team is putrid. I didnt even watch the game.

Management, coaches and players all deserve to be fired.

1) Nonis buys out Grabovski, Komisarek for 2 compliance buyouts.
Signs Clarkson to the worst contract ive ever seen up there with Reddens
Lets go MacArthur and Komarov
Sends down Liles? Trades him?
Signs Smithson?
Drafts Gauthier?
Brings in Bernier when our issue wasnt goaltending, Riemer brought the Leafs to a game 7 against the Bruins, the whole team collapsed and stopped playing like they do now

2) Carlyle doesnt know what he is doing, doing the opposite of rewarding better players with benching and doesnt know how to utilize his players eg. Kadri, Grabovski, and MacArthur etc.
Goaltending, why not reward Riemer when he wins, this back and forth thing with who starts is so confusing.

3) Players. Every single player I could write a paragraph about how much they suck and how they have no pride in wearing blue and white.

I dont care anymore about wins at this point, changes are to be needed. No faith in management because Nonis has his head up his arse.

Missing the playoffs means that we will be back at ground zero. All for blowing it up.

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
Komorav's absence is heavily overrated. Jerry D'Amigo basically does what he does.

This mega-slump is due to the big offensive guns completely slacking off on all ends of the ice and not putting forth effort to win games. We have a couple players who go out there and try and win, but the team is collectively quitting night in and night out.

You dont have a clue. Come back to me when D'Amigo makes Chara flinch and actually come close to Komarovs stats.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The tank will now be enforced.

LOl, rofl what a garbage franchsie run by a bunch of bozo's. There is absolutely nothing they can do. This team is complete garbage. To all those clowns who didn't want to do a proper rebuild. You can now look forward to 5 years of sucking. Nonnis is fired and you know it. The new GM will trade players to the worst possible location, throwing them away just to get the cancer out of his locker room. Nothing will change, this is the same old tired song,over and over and over. Now pay up sucker!

The most boring,uninspiring Leaf team ever and the most expensive to boot.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
tumblr_mlbptnPqiu1rl8xr9o1_400.gif

This goat can skate better than most of the Leafs.

That is all.

Definitely more motivated than the Leafs. :handclap:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Didn't even watch the game. Watching Supernatural episodes on Netflix. Tuned into the game and it was 2-0 in the first. Knew where this was heading - back to Supernatural
Hate is too strong a word, but I really dislike this team right now. No heart, no desire. They are playing like they want the coach fired rather than fighting for their lives to hold onto a playoff spot. And there are no excuses. Young team, injuries, finding their way - ********

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Great post. Several people were warning of real issues with our team even when we were doing well. The response from the masses? "Keep calm and Corsi's wrong". The only thing that would make this bridge collapse of a season any better would be if certain posters came out and admitted how wrong they were 3 months ago. I'm not holding out any hope.

you do realise that on Tuesday we had pretty good Corsi and we still lost right? (actually, I heard on the radio, so this could be wrong - most games where we have good corsi, the Leafs generally don't win that game at all.' You also realise that the MAJORITY of the board (even your valuted "Keep Calm/Corsi's Wrong" brigade new that there were some severe issues, and it was more of a - we're winning and a point is a point. even some media people were saying the same things. it's not the fact that people were 'ignoring it.' it was more of the fact people were ignoring the fact that we were getting points and just focused on the fact that we did xyz)

you also realise that most people used that more as a giggle point than an actual belief more to the fact that in general the Leafs always had been (from my vantage point) a team that allowed a lot of shots (i'm going all the way back to Cujo era).

unless Corsi is also an indicator for sheer laziness, I don't know what to tell you.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
After watching last game, I suddenly found myself firmly in the Fire Carlyle camp. There are plenty to complain about when it comes to players as well, but when a whole team looks completely lost and rattled on the ice from the moment the puck drop, that is when they look like they even care, then it's a more fundamental problem than just deficiencies of the individual players.

I think a change is coming after tonights game.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Great post. Several people were warning of real issues with our team even when we were doing well. The response from the masses? "Keep calm and Corsi's wrong". The only thing that would make this bridge collapse of a season any better would be if certain posters came out and admitted how wrong they were 3 months ago. I'm not holding out any hope.

Good luck with that Sir. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't drink it for them.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Good thing Bozak's back or things would be going badly. He's the glue on that line, am I right?

:laugh:

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Is now an appropriate time to point out that the team that fired Carlyle now has the best record in the league at 33-8-5, with all but two of their wins in regulation or OT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad