Speculation: There was a meeting between the Flames management and Huberdeau's agent Allan Walsh

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Like most I have a problem with Walsh, My big one is that, I get he is a player agent but sometimes his clients shit the bed and leave a lot of stains but he will blame the sheets for being there. His client has been exposed as not being a driver but a carpetbagger who signed a contract based not upon what he could do but those around him could. But he would never admit that

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Treleving should be charged with negligence for the way he allow Allen Walsh to structure Huberdeau’s contract.

$9.5 Signing bonus at age 37…… wooooof

Reactions: DekeyPete

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
So, the coach‘s boss and the player’s representative sat down and had an adult conversation about what both sides can do to improve the situation without the emotions of the coach and player clouding the discussion. Sounds like a reasonable thing to do.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Treleving should be charged with negligence for the way he allow Allen Walsh to structure Huberdeau’s contract.

I don't know shit about how buyouts work, but doesn't that make it pretty damn hard to buy him out because of the penalties that would incur ?

Like the cap hit being almost not worth it ?

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Like most I have a problem with Walsh, My big one is that, I get he is a player agent but sometimes his clients shit the bed and leave a lot of stains but he will blame the sheets for being there. His client has been exposed as not being a driver but a carpetbagger who signed a contract based not upon what he could do but those around him could. But he would never admit that
I didn't realize that Bennett and Duclair were the drivers on his line when he scored 115 and theh scored 40/50.

The reality is he's not happy and you see it reflected on the ice and in his body language. Is it fair given his contract? No, but he's no doubt in a pretty awful place mentally right now given the trade he didn't want, the expectations that he put on himself with the contract, the way he's playing, etc.

This meeting is hopefully more about trying to set Huberdeau up to succeed (including on his end, improving his attitude and play) and I highly doubt there's any trade or buyout coming like some people seem to be talking about for some reason.

These meetings happen more than people think, but when it's Walsh the guy makes sure to make every single thing he does public for some reason.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
If I were GM of an NHL team, Walsh would be banned from building. It would be a tough choice for me if I had to choose between a meeting with Kanye West, Donald Trump, or Allan Walsh...

What in the world can Allan Walsh offer to improve the situation...

If you've ever watched wrestling, he is a carbon copy of this guy:

1699540639781.png

Reactions: DRAGO 18

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
He'd never admit it publicly, for good reason, you don't know what the conversation is like when he's negotiating in private and the FO points out legitimate issues with his clients' performance.

It's all an act on twitter, for the purpose of improving his clients' livelihoods. He's not actually trying to have an honest conversation with the entire planet at once so don't let it annoy you too much.

Reactions: TLEH

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Contracts can be terminated by mutual agreement as long as the player passes through unconditional waivers. There's no way Huberdeau does that though. Best case for him is a 7 year deal at 7M (likely less). He'd be leaving more than 30M on the table.
That is a lot of money. However, if you were in the prime of your life and you hated where you currently were, would you just swallow it and live there for another 8 years when you can leave, go somewhere you love, and still make 50 million dollars? I think I probably would. I know we are just plebs but to me the difference between 50 million and 80 million isn't enough for me to be miserable for a decade through the prime of my life. For me those might as well be the same amount of money.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

This is the fault of the ownership, he should have used common sense(if he had any.)

I'd request a trade but take the money. 30m buys a lot of beans

Who is going to trade for him?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'd assume it's more of a conversation in - what do we need to see happen so you're not benching my player and this situation works out. In the players/agent perspective, you shouldn't be benched because the puck isn't going in the back of the net at the rate your contract cost. So I'd think it's less about trade talk and more about what can we do.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Feels like Jeff Carter in Columbus to some degree.
It isn’t remotely. It’s not like Huberdeau ran off to the beach and turned off his phone to sulk for a month after the trade, forcing the the Flames existing star player to physically go and extract him from his sadness pit. He hasn’t spent months intentionally dogging it to force a trade elsewhere. He’s genuinely trying and sucks anyway.

Reactions: Fig and Bond

Bond

May 10, 2012
I'd assume it's more of a conversation in - what do we need to see happen so you're not benching my player and this situation works out. In the players/agent perspective, you shouldn't be benched because the puck isn't going in the back of the net at the rate your contract cost. So I'd think it's less about trade talk and more about what can we do.
Yeah, for what it is worth, Huberdeau seems to want to make it work and hasn't just thrown up his hands and said eff it. Needs to just go back to a super simple passing game or something

Reactions: Fig

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It isn’t remotely. It’s not like Huberdeau ran off to the beach and turned off his phone to sulk for a month after the trade, forcing the the Flames existing star player to physically go and extract him from his sadness pit. He hasn’t spent months intentionally dogging it to force a trade elsewhere. He’s genuinely trying and sucks anyway.

Feels like it anyway.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Huberdeau is coming across like the biggest bum in the league right now I’m sorry.

You can’t be mad about being traded there but turn around and sign a huge deal for 8 years. You can’t have your agent set up a meeting with the team because you’re not getting ice time when you don’t play hard for almost 100 games now. Sorry bro. You wanted to be the top dollar guy- it means you get held more accountable, not less.
Reading comments from Flames fans over the last few days, it doesn't seem like it's from a lack of effort, it's just a bizarre, complete lack of production outside of his turnovers.

Reactions: Fig

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
This is the fault of the ownership, he should have used common sense(if he had any.)

Who is going to trade for him?

It’s more on Treleving
Ownership agrees to the contract
But treleving structured it that way
He could has lessened the SB’s.
He could have told ownership that he wanted to wait on signing him as he still had a year to evaluate him on his current deal.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
the only time the league has ever allowed players/teams to "mutually terminate" contracts is cases where the player is leaving the nhl (typically to go play in europe). they would never, ever approve it just because a player is unhappy and their contract is such that they're unmoveable for any kind of reasonable compensation. even if the nhl was fine with it the nhlpa would immediately file a grievance

it's simply not an option for huberdeau and the flames to break up unless huberdeau is willing to retire or go play in europe or if the nhl reintroduces compliance buyouts
You're wrong on all fronts in the first parahraph. Just this offseason Detroit and Zadina mutually terminated a contract that owed the player a lot of money, and he went to sign in SJ for a lot less.

There's nothing the NHL or PA can do if both parties agree to terminate the deal.

Now it was already pretty stupid for Zadina to leave millions on the table that he'll probably never see again. But that's chump change compared to what Huberdeau would be walking away from, which is why it'd never happen.

Reactions: Ciao

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
That is a lot of money. However, if you were in the prime of your life and you hated where you currently were, would you just swallow it and live there for another 8 years when you can leave, go somewhere you love, and still make 50 million dollars? I think I probably would. I know we are just plebs but to me the difference between 50 million and 80 million isn't enough for me to be miserable for a decade through the prime of my life. For me those might as well be the same amount of money.
I mean 30M is so much money though. I get it, there isn't a lot of difference between an amount I could never spend and a bigger amount I could never spend. But we are talking a 37.5% difference. Like if you were making 50k at a job you enjoyed or 70k at a job you didn't. I think I would take the money, but I'd understand people who would choose a happier work environment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad