Post-Game Talk: There was a game tonight?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Habs won Cup in 76, 77, 78, and 79

That’s correct. What’s your point?
You are still wrong in saying Oilers were around for 3 HABS cups. Oilers first season started in the 79-80 season. HABS win in 79. AVCO CUP was awarded in 1979.
Check it out if you wish but your wrong

Reactions: TB12

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Mcdrai not looking like mcdrai lately, hope going back home refreshes them

This happens every single time they play together.

Starts off with them absolutely burying teams for 1-2 weeks, then other teams game plan for it and kill them in the neutral zone. Then they start to get frustrated so the cheating all over the ice sets in and they become a liability. Rinse and repeat.

Those two should never play more than 3-4 games in a row together because no matter what the terrible habits and non-existent defensive play set in.

Reactions: McDrai

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That's the main coaching problem, Tippett continues using his low event, defense first tactics even team being 3 down and can't generate anything. Should loosen the reigns or do f***ing something different than bang heads against trap wall.

10 shots in 35 minutes.

View attachment 415339

To me the lack of shooting has more to do with the forward's tendency to over cycle the puck and not shoot (or blow the puck wide when they do), not so much the trap.

Although I agree with the fact that the trap is the achilles heel of this team. Simplifying to get through it just isn't in their DNA.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
That’s correct. What’s your point?
You are still wrong in saying Oilers were around for 3 HABS cups. Oilers first season started in the 79-80 season. HABS win in 79. AVCO CUP was awarded in 1979.
Check it out if you wish but your wrong
OK. I stand corrected. No worries.
My point was merely a response. To the to claim that the Habs won ALL their Cups when there was only five other teams to play against.

I was not as condescending as you when I pointed out he was wrong on that call.

"Check it out if you wish"

Cheers

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I looked into the history some more, not very familiar with specifics as it all happened well before I was born, that batch in the 70s were won with 17-18 clubs of which the expansion teams probably don’t count for much (some truly terrible teams).

Even with Bettman’s parity far overstated, winning a cup post 2000 is generally pretty remarkable given the amount of teams and how many of them can be ‘powerhouse’ teams. I don’t think it should shock too many people that a Canadian team hasn’t won in almost 30 years given the circumstances
There are alot of shitty teams every season that dont stand a chance to win the Cup. That hasn't changed.
Love that the Blues got theirs.
Leave Leafs holding the record of Cup futility.

Years Without a Cup.

Leafs .........54 - 0 Final appearances
Sabres .......50 - 2 Final appearances
Flyers.........46 - 6 Final Appearances.... ouch!
Islanders....37 - 1 Final Appearance
Sharks .......30 - 1 Final Appearance

Last edited:

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Lol... Is this your argument?
Let me put it this way... You would be screaming for justice if Tom Wilson made that exact same hit on McDavid. In fact, let's exclude Tom Wilson from this conversation completely since you'd obviously like me to.

If Any of the Habs hit an Oiler the same way Connor hit Kotkaniemi
, You'd probably be equally furious and want who ever dished the elbow suspended. I get he was frustrated. I love McDavid. I'm one of his biggest fans but that was a dirty play. He hit him up high. If Connor threw a hip check then we wouldn't be having this conversation. I just try really hard to not be bias about these types of situations. Maybe the replay on YouTube I saw made the incident look uglier than it actually was. I'll take correction and admit I'm wrong if that's the case. Regardless, I just value player safety.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Let me put it this way... You would be screaming for justice if Tom Wilson made that exact same hit on McDavid. In fact, let's exclude Tom Wilson from this conversation completely since you'd obviously like me to.

, You'd probably be equally furious and want who ever dished the elbow suspended. I get he was frustrated. I love McDavid. I'm one of his biggest fans but that was a dirty play. He hit him up high. If Connor threw a hip check then we wouldn't be having this conversation. I just try really hard to not be bias about these types of situations. Maybe the replay on YouTube I saw made the incident look uglier than it actually was. I'll take correction and admit I'm wrong if that's the case. Regardless, I just value player safety.
Bold part is false. McDavid barely touched his face or head. If it was anyone I would think the fine and penalty was fair.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

McDavid gets hit like that almost every game and nothing happens to the opposition and we barely even talk about these types of plays on him anymore because it happens so often. WE don't cry for suspensions, but would like them to occasionally call teams on it. The only difference is that McDavid often fights through this type of contact whereas JK is either the lightest guy in hockey or flopped on the play. Connor gets shoulder first, then on the follow through, high chest. As JK flops the arms rides up and gets a piece of JKs face. At no point was JK in jeopardy of being injured other than by the force he tried to hit the ice with to make sure the refs saw.

To me this was closer to interference than roughing or elbowing but Parros hates skilled players and prefers to make examples of them than hard nosed farm boys.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
There are alot of shitty teams every season that dont stand a chance to win the Cup. That hasn't changed.

Years Without a Cup.

Flyers.........46 - 4 Final Appearances

It’s looking like the Sabres might surpass the Leafs someday, unfortunately. Let’s hope not!

Reactions: brentashton

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I'm friends with a guy who tended to the gardens outside the main office. He told me Kevin Lowe would personally shit in all the soil under the excuse of "it needed some fertilizer"

Pretty weird dude.

Well, that’s cool. But this is one of my closest friends and the agency he works for isn’t small. He has some pretty big names too. I couldn’t care less if you believe it or not- you clearly drink the Oiler Kool-aide

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I dunno if I buy it. Chiarelli basically signed Talbot to an almost identical deal in 2016 -- 3 years x 4 after an equally small sample size too.

I think he figured he'd do it again as Koskinen at the time was putting up better numbers than Talbot.

That’s okay- you don’t have to. Oilers didn’t make the decision on Chiarelli that same day he got fired- but somehow people refuse to believe that the Oilers- knowing full well their GM is literally days away from being fired- would let him sign a goalie with nearly no NHL experience- to a 4.5M dollar deal. A goalie pushed by another Old Boys Club member.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Well, that’s cool. But this is one of my closest friends and the agency he works for isn’t small. He has some pretty big names too. I couldn’t care less if you believe it or not- you clearly drink the Oiler Kool-aide

You take this all very seriously.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think yeah Toronto is probably a step above the other teams in the division provided they get OK goaltending which is an open question mark as Campbell isn't very proven.

That isn't to say they can't be beat even in the 1st round, it's entirely possible they get beat again in round 1, but for the regular season they're probably a notch up on the rest.

We're not quite there yet, our depth scoring players aren't bringing enough to the table in the here and now. We are improving as a team and becoming a squad that at least can make the playoffs but the damage wrought by Chiarelli is a hard fix and Holland is also not the fastest moving GM.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Years Without a Cup.

As if I needed another reason to feel old AF. I can't believe they've been in the league for 30 years already.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Before the end of the season I would like to see a game with Neal and RNH on the second line. I dont think they've been tried together before, perhaps they can have some chemistry.

Oil53

Jun 4, 2018

Years Without a Cup.

Canucks......50 - 3 Final Appearances

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Before the end of the season I would like to see a game with Neal and RNH on the second line. I dont think they've been tried together before, perhaps they can have some chemistry.
Neal looked finished to me.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Lol
Time flies eh buddy.

I was doing the math...had to carry the 2 and borrow the 3, reduced that by pi and multiplied that by a coefficient of 4.3 and determined I was turning 13 the October of their inaugural season.

geek-news-homer-simpson-predicted-higgs-boson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad