Speculation: There is a trade in place for Loui Eriksson (No there isn't - just Halford and Brough hypothesizing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
With the amount of money Ottawa traded away they have to take on salary.

As I stated earlier, Ott has $45M tied up in 14 contracts next year. They have 4 RFA which I assume they will try to sign. They are going to be very near the cap floor.

Be interesting to see what would be involved if Ott wins the draft lottery, being favorites and all. Could announce a very large deal like Horvat Erickson 6th OA a prospect or two and a 3rd rounder for Bobby Ryan and 1st OA.

Of course money would be retained on Erickson, and would piss off the Ottawa fans a ton, but would be a huge salary dump for Ott.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Lol so the new logic to defend bennings move is that the sedins are to blame for eriksson not scoring;

And that loui eriksson at 31 would become a 40 goal scorer that he had never been before,

At this points the mods have to see he’s a troll or an idiot both of which should be grounds to ban

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
As I stated earlier, Ott has $45M tied up in 14 contracts next year. They have 4 RFA which I assume they will try to sign. They are going to be very near the cap floor.

Be interesting to see what would be involved if Ott wins the draft lottery, being favorites and all. Could announce a very large deal like Horvat Erickson 6th OA a prospect or two and a 3rd rounder for Bobby Ryan and 1st OA.

Of course money would be retained on Erickson, and would piss off the Ottawa fans a ton, but would be a huge salary dump for Ott.
Colorado has Ottawa pick

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
No one thought Eriksson would be this bad. It’s better that they fix their mistakes rather than sit on their a*s. Rumours had the Oilers offering Lucic + Puljujarvi to get rid of Lucic’s contract. If Benning can move Eriksson’s contract, it’s a huge win.

I said this would be an awful contract midway through. Instead it has been even worse than I predicted. Either way, I'm not going to praise Benning for simply cleaning up a mistake he never should have made to begin with.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Rumor/Speculation reported by Halford and Brough on sportbet 650 just a bit ago regarding Loui Eriksson.

Paraphrasing:

They believe there is a trade in place already or the motion has been set and rolling for a Loui Eriksson trade in July.

They didn't say this. Nor did Botchford say it in the Athleties. It's not a rumour. It's not really even speculation. They simply said it would be good if he were moved, and maybe it would be possible. The original post is entirely misleading.

Reactions: Pip

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
To have a trade in place for a guy like Eriksson this far in advance seems a little silly.

I'm sure they'll look at moving him once the draft rolls around and teams really start talking moves.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Not sure what you're getting at here. There are tons of teams that could absorb that cap hit easily and for whom the only important consideration is real salary.

There's a market for cap space. Real salary isn't the only consideration for the other team. Nobody is taking Loui Eriksson's contract unless additional assets are included.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
There's a market for cap space. Real salary isn't the only consideration for the other team. Nobody is taking Loui Eriksson's contract unless additional assets are included.
I can't see a single team in the entire league who would be willing to play even a $3m Loui Eriksson on their 4th line instead of a young player...actually, I can see one team....this one.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
fair enough. i will admit i am running with it a little because i found the scratch so surprising last night and also was noticing the vague way the tv guys handled it. erikkson has not played that badly lately and they dressed granlund who i think looks exhausted and has been really poor recently. i also cannot see them burying him in the ahl with that much money for three years when he is still a passable nhl 3rd liner.

as unlikely as it seems that they could trade him, it is the best explanation.

It's not an explanation. It's literally just two guys saying something. They make no claim to having any information we don't have. It doesn't make a trade any more or less likely. I'm not saying it's unlikely Eriksson could be traded -- I think he will be. A couple of people choosing to mention this possibility in order to create content for a podcast is not a rumour.

Reactions: lindgren

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

Might want to check that.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I didn't say any of the things you're contradicting here.

Well, you wrote: "There are tons of teams that could absorb that cap hit easily and for whom the only important consideration is real salary." Real salary isn't the only important consideration.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Well, you wrote: "There are tons of teams that could absorb that cap hit easily and for whom the only important consideration is real salary." Real salary isn't the only important consideration.
For teams with a great deal of cap space at no risk of running out of it within the duration of Eriksson's contract, yeah -- cap space is absolutely not a consideration and it's obvious.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
If:

1. The Sedins found chemistry with Eriksson (which was likely because they already had chemistry from international tournaments)

and

2. The Sedins looked even close to the level of the previous year when they carried the offense of the team into the playoffs (which was also significantly probable - if anyone says they knew with certainty that the Sedins would fall off exactly when they did and by how much, they’re lying)

then

3. Loui Eriksson would’ve scored 30-40+ goals (for $6 million these days is a bloody steal)

and

4. Loui’s contract would’ve been at worst justified and, at best, a steal.

The logic is plain for everyone to see but NOBODY here can refute the PROCESS or the LOGIC of Benning’s decisions because they’re always logically virtuous. The ONLY thing critics ever do is criticize the result. Which is the worst way of finding out someone’s ability at anything. Ask ANY scout. They look at the method and almost never put more weight in the results.

The problem is, you are living in a world that isn't taking into account statistics. Statistics exist, it is logical to utilize them for advantage. You believe in miracles, while failing to realize that miracles are really just low probability events. Keep betting on low probability events, and most will fail... but you believers hang your hat on the few "miracles" that generate anything but complete waste. You are stuck in the past, in a time before the advent of math, and you need to get with the times. You are living in the age when shamans understood the world. Their nonsense is your logic... but feel free to cover yourself in the ashes of the Canucks corpse, to help speed up the prophecized coming of The Team. It might work... It would be a miracle if it did, but statistics say that low probability events happen every day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drunkan Keith

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not much doubt this is Eriksson's last season in Vancouver. He'll somehow be dealt after July 1st when the Canucks cough up millions in bonus money.

But the only way this has a happy ending is if the Canucks and Benning have actually learned something from it. A six-year contract for a player in his 30's is a recipe for disaster.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
If the salary and real cap hit are different, how would it be possible to retain the same percentage of both?
You don't understand how the Canucks could retain 50% of both cap hit and owed salary? Isn't it obvious? If they trade him after July 1st and retain 50% here's what the Canucks would be on the hook for:

19-20: $3M cap hit; $500K salary (plus $4M bonus they would've already paid)
20-21: $3M cap hit; $2M salary/bonus
21-22: $3M cap hit; $2M salary/bonus

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
The problem is, you are living in a world that isn't taking into account statistics. Statistics exist, it is logical to utilize them for advantage. You believe in miracles, while failing to realize that miracles are really just low probability events. Keep betting on low probability events, and most will fail... but you believers hang your hat on the few "miracles" that generate anything but complete waste. You are stuck in the past, in a time before the advent of math, and you need to get with the times. You are living in the age when shamans understood the world. Their nonsense is your logic... but feel free to cover yourself in the ashes of the Canucks corpse, to help speed up the prophecized coming of The Team.

There are three or for guys (he is one of them), that are living in a world where they get paid to write crap told by Benning.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
There are three or for guys (he is one of them), that are living in a world where they get paid to write crap told by Benning.

The Gospel according to RMB? If not directly paid, payment through eternal happiness! The Team is Coming. If this is not the next Canucks slogan, I'm disappointed.

Reactions: MadaCanuckle

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For teams with a great deal of cap space at no risk of running out of it within the duration of Eriksson's contract, yeah -- cap space is absolutely not a consideration and it's obvious.
In real cash does a team view Loui as a $3 million per year player? If not then they have other options to use that $3 mill per year.

Avs took Orpik at $5.5 cap hit to buyout at $4.5 mill so cash of $3 million to get Grub while trading a second. Teams have reasons for taking on contracts.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
It’s what happens when you gamble on a free agent. You NEVER know 100% if a guy will stop caring after his big payday or you will get the player as advertised. Whether you’re signing a $10 million free agent or a $700k free agent it carries that risk.

Guys like y2k who hate every signing will feel vindicated when the worst case scenario happens but that doesn’t mean it was a bad decision and it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t chase free agents because the next time you could sign a major steal. Like Antoine Roussell.

I'm no Benning hater but I intensely disliked this deal from minute one. Loui is a pretty good player (sometimes) but the amount AND term were ridiculous, probably Benning's biggest blunder. If we can unload him even if it means eating some of his salary I am all for it even though I can pretty much guarantee that he will play better wherever he ends up than he did here. Time to move on...

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
In real cash does a team view Loui as a $3 million per year player? If not then they have other options to use that $3 mill per year.

Avs took Orpik at $5.5 cap hit to buyout at $4.5 mill so cash of $3 million to get Grub while trading a second. Teams have reasons for taking on contracts.
No, and I never suggested any team would. Earlier in the conversation I literally said the opposite. With retention and paid roster bonuses Eriksson's real salary could be reduced far below $3m. That's the underpinning of this entire conversation.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
The problem with signing a guy like Eriksson and watching him completely and utterly fail, just points out Jim’s inability to assess professional level player.

Even if you’re able to move him, signing this player after a pretty porus stretch in Boston where he had concussion issues just because he had a decent season playing with two of the best players in the league is incredibly stupid for a “rebuilding team”.

Jim Benning signed this player to make the team competitive, instead he turned into one of the worst contracts in the league and the Canucks worst the worst team in the league over the 3 years he’s been on the rosters. That’s the definition of a complete and utter failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad