GDT: There is a game tonight

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
good ****ing clear nordstrom

i dont know why so many PKers in the nhl always clear off the boards instead of up the middle and out

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The Canes don't have a SH goal this year, do they? (I suppose I could look it up, just don't recall one).

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
good ****ing clear nordstrom

i dont know why so many PKers in the nhl always clear off the boards instead of up the middle and out

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think it's because if you fail to clear up the middle, you give the opponent a much better scoring chance. Along the boards, you limit your risk and many times it's hard to handle bounces off the board. I'm not saying against the board is the right choice all the time, but I can see why players look for that first.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Justin Faulk telling the ref where he's going to score on this pp. Love the confidence.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, I know what you mean. I think it's because if you fail to clear up the middle, you give the opponent a much better scoring chance. Along the boards, you limit your risk and many times it's hard to handle bounces off the board. I'm not saying against the board is the right choice all the time, but I can see why players look for that first.

I know through experience you can't hesitate for too long or anything, but Nordstrom had a good bit of time and then decided to just slap it at the boards right where the NJ dman was. And I see that so often.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Terry looked like a guy trying to get to his always goals spot in a video game. How do you have that much open ice and still take too long to gets shot off?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I know through experience you can't hesitate for too long or anything, but Nordstrom had a good bit of time and then decided to just slap it at the boards right where the NJ dman was. And I see that so often.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you on that instance. I was just offering why guys go off the board when it seems obvious they should go up the middle. I just know that some guys can think quickly and make those plays like you say and others treat the puck like a hot potato and do what is the lower risk play. Nordstrom isn't overly skilled so I feel he may fall into the "hot potato" category. Saw it all the time when I coached. The better players always seemed to slow the game down and make the right play.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you on that instance. I was just offering why guys go off the board when it seems obvious they should go up the middle. I just know that some guys can think quickly and make those plays like you say and others treat the puck like a hot potato and do what is the lower risk play. Nordstrom isn't overly skilled so I feel he may fall into the "hot potato" category. Saw it all the time when I coached. The better players always seemed to slow the game down and make the right play.

I've seen so many clears that go right at someone with the whole rest of the ice wide open. killing a penalty the first instinct is very often to just get the puck as far away from the net as possible as quickly as possible.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I've seen so many clears that go right at someone with the whole rest of the ice wide open. killing a penalty the first instinct is very often to just get the puck as far away from the net as possible as quickly as possible.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I do get Ollie's point though. The better players have more ability to make the right play vs. just "get it away from the net".

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Not sure if you anyone is listening to the intermission Q+A with Tripp/John, but Tripp said that E. Staal said about Hanifin: "He has the positional awareness of Lidstrom, but is a better skater". Not saying he'll be anywhere close to Lidstrom, but pretty high compliment from a guy that has been a top player in the league.

Oh, and they also said Francis is "Fort Knox" when it comes to leaking out information about moves. So if there are rumors out there re: Carolina, it's likely not coming from the Canes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad