News Article: There are no local streaming options for the 2021 Hurricanes season

Johniac

Jul 18, 2011
North Carolina
Would anyone else find use in a stickied thread where Post #1 is a run-down of where Canes games can be found...or would that run afoul of the rules?

I think it would be helpful. Plus, if anyone hears that Hulu or Youtube pick up Bally Sports, we could be easily informed. And if Bally comes out with a direct to consumer stream, I would like to know when and how. It doesn't look like it will help as much for this season, but certainly for the next one.

Reactions: DaveG

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
Hurricanes are getting absolutely murdered on facebook about how no one can watch and then some are complaint about the broadcast team

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Hurricanes are getting absolutely murdered on facebook about how no one can watch and then some are complaint about the broadcast team
Yeeeeeaaaaah. Seemed a little tone deaf to release those "how to watch the Canes this season" articles that basically just say 'sign a Spectrum contract'

Granted, none of this is their fault, but damn. At the same time, if this roasting causes them to rethink their deal with Fox Sports Carolinas, then I'm all for it.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
As bad as Comcast is, I've literally never had the problem of them adding or dropping my favorite/most watched channels, and while the price has certainly increased over the last 10ish years I've been paying for cable, it hasn't gone up anywhere near as much as YoutubeTV and similar streaming services increase their prices year over year. Ultimately if I ever have to downgrade, arrr matey there's only one answer!

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
As bad as Comcast is, I've literally never had the problem of them adding or dropping my favorite/most watched channels, and while the price has certainly increased over the last 10ish years I've been paying for cable, it hasn't gone up anywhere near as much as YoutubeTV and similar streaming services increase their prices year over year. Ultimately if I ever have to downgrade, arrr matey there's only one answer!

Honestly just wait until the streaming service is created for Sinclair. I'm sure they'll be absolutely ridiculous at like $25 a month but f*** it, that and Sling would be everything you get with cable at like half the price. And Sling's the one that I haven't noticed raising prices left and right compared to the other services.

Reactions: Canes

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Honestly just wait until the streaming service is created for Sinclair. I'm sure they'll be absolutely ridiculous at like $25 a month but f*** it, that and Sling would be everything you get with cable at like half the price. And Sling's the one that I haven't noticed raising prices left and right compared to the other services.
The whole cable and streaming industry is literally insane at this point. You'd need a Ph.D. in math to optimize the cheapest option to get even like 2/3 of the shows you and/or your family want to watch. While I have a cable package with most of the sports packages, I still pay for Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, and CBS Sports (Champions League), and I've almost had it with legally trying to consume content. It's cable prices no matter what but now every production company wants to exercise their monopoly on certain content to make you pay even more than you would have before.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If the streaming services, a) carried the sports I wanted to see and, b) allowed a la carte pricing, I believe they'd dominate the cable franchises. The big issue, frankly, is that Disney, for example (owner of ABC, ESPN, etc.), charges out the ass for ESPN, so much so, if I understand correctly, it's almost as if the other, lesser channels subsidize your cable bill.

I realize that this type of "menu-driven" pricing would never work as the individual content providers could/would charge more for each of the individual channels. In the end you'd end up with the same bill and/or even higher bill.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I fought cutting the cord for a while. But a couple of years ago I just took a couple of hours to make a spreadsheet on the channels my family needed that were must have vs nice to have vs didn't care and the costs. I also included other streaming services I had and ones I might need to get if I cut the cord or chose a particular service. Easy enough to see which providers met that the best. I did the 3-7 day trials on the streamers to make sure. It was simple and I still saved over $50 a month vs where I was (even with price increases), didn't have a contract, can watch the stuff I want to watch anywhere, and don't have near as many channels I don't need. It will be tougher as prices continue to increase but I still like the setup better this way, so it'd have to get to be way more expensive for me to care.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Having cut the cord many years ago, even *need* gets quickly redefined. Cut it, suffer for a few months, redefine how you are entertained, get used to it, and ultimately save yourself a ton of money.
Pretty much. There's very little outside of sports that I consider appointment tv. I just watch it at my own pace on DVR or other streaming services. I probably missed out on a few channels I like, but can't say that I ever think about it much. For me, it also allowed me more time to catch up on shows and movies on streaming services I was usually just letting pile up and games I wanted to play but just let pile up and books I wanted to read that I was just letting pile up.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
What I ultimately found is that the quality of shows on broadcast TV is significantly lower quality than what I've found on streaming services. By a country mile.
Access to good content from around the world is what does it for me especially during Covid. I can't say that I am necessarily saving money as I have 9-10 different subscriptions but it's nice to have access to different types of programming and perspectives.

Reactions: geehaad and DaveG

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Was VERY lucky sling streaming had the Capitals as one of two teams (sharks as well) using the service.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Was VERY lucky sling streaming had the Capitals as one of two teams (sharks as well) using the service.
Sling, while they still had all the RSNs, was fantastic value for what you get. I'm probably going back to it once the RSN streaming service is released since price wise just makes sense to do so.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I'll be trying ATT at some point this week to see what the experience is like. I'm still planning on maybe an alternate route, but I also have little time to be fiddling with it, so convenience might win over.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Suddenly AT&T Now is not an option. From their site:

AT&T TV NOW packages are no longer available for new customers. Current AT&T TV NOW customers can continue to access their service here.

Wasn't there last night. Maybe a pushback from Sinclair? I wouldn't put it past them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad