Speculation: THEORY: Benning has already been fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
I just thought of this. When's the last time you heard Benning speak to the media? Before the WJC for sure. Botch has said that he is "dealing with family issues", but noone has spoken on that, and Linden has come out multiple times to speak to the media in Benning's place.

From the last provies: "Benning has left the team and wasn't at the World Juniors." Why hasn't Linden spoken on that? If it's a family issue he could just say "Jim is dealing with a personal issue right now and won't be around for the foreseeable future" or something like that? In such a hotbed time for Jim's contract, this is unusual behavior.

Also: "I've seen the current mood in Rogers Arena described anywhere from "restless" to "apoplectic"".

With the complete lack of reassurance from Linden to the media about Jim's contract, it's really more about what he didn't say than what he said. Could Jim already be out the door?

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
I just thought of this. When's the last time you heard Benning speak to the media? Before the WJC for sure. Botch has said that he is "dealing with family issues", but noone has spoken on that, and Linden has come out multiple times to speak to the media in Benning's place.

From the last provies: "Benning has left the team and wasn't at the World Juniors." Why hasn't Linden spoken on that? If it's a family issue he could just say "Jim is dealing with a personal issue right now and won't be around for the foreseeable future" or something like that? In such a hotbed time for Jim's contract, this is unusual behavior.

Also: "I've seen the current mood in Rogers Arena described anywhere from "restless" to "apoplectic"".

With the complete lack of reassurance from Linden to the media about Jim's contract, it's really more about what he didn't say than what he said. Could Jim already be out the door?
Think he was out getting burgers for the boys,,,,it would be nice if this was the case,,but he forgot to take his buddy Wiesbr with him....yeah i noticed his absence last night at the game..

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
If that was true, I'd think there be leaks. Media have been pretty respectful in keeping their distance it seems (which for the most part indicates they are not just blowing smoke ).

Reactions: Jack Burton

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Dont want to speculate too much but Bennings dad Elmer got treated for cancer (prostate and bones) when Jim got hired in Vancouver. I would say there is a chance the "family issues" are related to this and I think people should respect his privacy in that case.

As much as i dislike Jim but I dont think the Canucks would do something like this and claim family matters as a cover up for him being fired already.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
don't need detail. could just say "there's a personal issue going on." full stop.

Why though. We are not owed an explanation just because he's not at a couple games. There is zero reason for the Canucks to do this.

Having said that, I do think it is possible that the Canucks have more or less already made the decision not to renew his contract, and have neutered Benning of most of his power. I could definitely see something like this taking place, where they are leaving him in the position to not create a "distraction" but he can't really do much without approval.

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
Why though. We are not owed an explanation just because he's not at a couple games. There is zero reason for the Canucks to do this.

Having said that, I do think it is possible that the Canucks have more or less already made the decision not to renew his contract, and have neutered Benning of most of his power. I could definitely see something like this taking place, where they are leaving him in the position to not create a "distraction" but he can't really do much without approval.

It's been like 3 weeks. I don't want to know his personal life but I'd like clarification on if the reason he's gone is because of personal issues or organisational issues.

I agree with your second point it's very possible.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Dont want to speculate too much but Bennings dad Elmer got treated for cancer (prostate and bones) when Jim got hired in Vancouver. I would say there is a chance the "family issues" are related to this and I think people should respect his privacy in that case.

As much as i dislike Jim but I dont think the Canucks would do something like this and claim family matters as a cover up for him being fired already.

This was exactly what I was thinking as well as it most likely has something to do with Jims father.

I really dont want to speculate nor participate in starting rumors of "where's Jim"

I will take this at face value and believe the organization that he is indeed dealing with family issues and respect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad