Speculation: Theory as to why Eugene Melnyk backtracked on LeBreton

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The Lebreton project is massive, it's worth billions and will make the developers even more 100s of millions. The Sens are just a piece of the puzzle but they are the anchor piece. Everyone knows this, the NCC, Melnyk, all the developers, the city and the feds. None of these players will disappear just because the original negotiation proposal went to Melnyk and his partners.

I'll use entirely hypothetical numbers in my guess to illustrate, nothing to back this up, but I bet they aren't that far off. Let's say the Sens are worth 600 million right now because the Lebreton project has now opened up. After the development is underway, the Sens are playing in a beautiful new arena, real estate is popping up around it, the LRT is there and the place is humming along. What are the Sens worth now?...800 million?

So if you are Melnyk, what is your asking price right now? He doesn't have to sell but probably would if he got enough. I would tell the world I'm not selling too...unless of course you maybe wanted to give me 650 - 700 million.

Exactly. If someone came to you and said "I'll make you comfortably a billionaire again", most multi-millionaires would take that offer. Melnyk cares about the team sure but I'm sure he cares about his family more, he might like horse racing just as much, etc...

We're all Sens fans but we all have other things in our lives we likely value more.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So are you suggesting that Melnyk is trying to sell the Senators, and he is lying when he says that he is not?

So explain how that helps him get top dollar for the Sens, as that would be in his best interests, right?

Dude, the reasoning has been brought up several times already.

At this point, you have to be arguing for the sake of being contrarian.

Reactions: Brian MacKinnon

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
Once they lost the bidding process, they've not voiced any expression of buying the Senators ...........perhaps you need to give your head a shake?
Once they lost the bidding process, they've not voiced any expression of buying the Senators ...........perhaps you need to give your head a shake?

Really? They lost the initial bid and haven't expressed interest in buying the Senators? So DEVCOR doesn't want to own the Senators if the team is located in Kanata - wow, who da thunk it?

Yes, they lost the initial bid to be the "preferred" winners of the Lebreton land development, but this process is far from over and no winner has been officially awarded yet. If the NCC determines Melnyk doesn't have the financial resources or moral character to go ahead with this project - and I'm guessing he's lacking in both - then DEVCOR and maybe other groups could easily be back in the picture.

There are many, many negotiations and many possibilities still open before anyone knows who will be the next owner of the Ottawa Senators when the team is playing hockey in their new arena at Lebreton Flats. And if I was Melnyk I'd deny wanting to sell the team today to maybe create a bidding war. Why be honest about your intentions to sell/not sell the team until an official winner of Lebreton Flats is announced, it makes no sense. One would have to have an open mind to consider any of the above possibilities, though.

Reactions: pepty

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Really? They lost the initial bid and haven't expressed interest in buying the Senators? So DEVCOR doesn't want to own the Senators if the team is located in Kanata - wow, who da thunk it?

Yes, they lost the initial bid to be the "preferred" winners of the Lebreton land development, but this process is far from over and no winner has been officially awarded yet. If the NCC determines Melnyk doesn't have the financial resources or moral character to go ahead with this project - and I'm guessing he's lacking in both - then DEVCOR and maybe other groups could easily be back in the picture.

There are many, many negotiations and many possibilities still open before anyone knows who will be the next owner of the Ottawa Senators when the team is playing hockey in their new arena at Lebreton Flats. And if I was Melnyk I'd deny wanting to sell the team today to maybe create a bidding war. Why be honest about your intentions to sell/not sell the team until an official winner of Lebreton Flats is announced, it makes no sense. One would have to have an open mind to consider any of the above possibilities, though.

Ok so I get that there is a lot of negative sentiment towards Melnyk but there is so much wrong with this post that there really isn't a spot to begin to tear it apart. I wouldn't even know where to start

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Dude, the reasoning has been brought up several times already.

At this point, you have to be arguing for the sake of being contrarian.

I'm just pointing our the absurd and contradictory nature of some of these arguments.

Either Melnyk is a liar or not ........... you can't just pick and choose which statements you like to label as a lie, just to fit the narrative of the day.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I'm just pointing our the absurd and contradictory nature of some of these arguments.

Either Melnyk is a liar or not ........... you can't just pick and choose which statements you like to label as a lie, just to fit the narrative of the day.

Yes Melnyck is a huge Liar. He promised us Stanley Cups, crushing the Leafs and Superstar players.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Do you think that the NCC would not already investigated the financial backing of either of the two bidding groups for Lebreton? That's pretty much what the NCC does, is investigate, research, consult, debate, schedule meetings and do all multiple times before they announce anything.

To suggest otherwise is an admission of complete lack of knowledge as to the inner working of the the NCC.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Yes Melnyck is a huge Liar. He promised us Stanley Cups, crushing the Leafs and Superstar players.

So you saying that when Melnyk says he's not selling the team, and has every intention of passing the team ownership on to his daughter, that he is lying......... and therefore the Sens are for sale .......... right?

iu

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

This such an absurd position to take. You are essentially arguing the Melnyk either always lies or always tells the truth and people have to choose one or the other.

People can and should use all the information available to decide on a case by case basis whether they believe something or not. To suggest you need to believe everything or nothing is beyond ridiculous

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So you saying that when Melnyk says he's not selling the team, and has every intention of passing the team ownership on to his daughter, that he is lying......... and therefore the Sens are for sale .......... right?

iu

I’m saying I don’t believe anything that comes out of Melnyck’s mouth because I can’t tell when he is or isn’t lying, he is a covicted felon so he’s got that on his record, so by defitnion he is a dishonest man.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I’m saying I don’t believe anything that comes out of Melnyck’s mouth because I can’t tell when he is or isn’t lying, he is a covicted felon so he’s got that on his record, so by defitnion he is a dishonest man.
Felon? What?

It’s Melnyk . Get the spelling right.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Do you think that the NCC would not already investigated the financial backing of either of the two bidding groups for Lebreton? That's pretty much what the NCC does, is investigate, research, consult, debate, schedule meetings and do all multiple times before they announce anything.

To suggest otherwise is an admission of complete lack of knowledge as to the inner working of the the NCC.

There is always risk that financing falls through. Nobody in the world is going to guarantee hundreds of millions or billions worth of financing before a project has even been negotiated.

To suggest otherwise...

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Felon? What?

It’s Melnyk . Get the spelling right.

Beyond his security fraud convictions Melnyck hasn’t paid out the contract if Cyril Leeder and a lot of the Sens staff he laid off/fired.

When Leeder asked for his co tract to be paid out Melnyck said ‘sue me for it’ - this is to the top officer in his organization who worked for him for 10 years and the Sens for 20 - that says everything you need to know about Melnycks character - which is he has none. Hes untrustworthy, a liar, has been kicked out of his own company’s, refused to honour contracts he’s signed, he’s that guy, the guy you guys ve your all to an are not rewarded for it (see Alfie file)

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

Yes, he was reprimanded by the Ontario Securities commission, and I have absolutely zero love for one of the worst owners in pro sports, but given the history of HF boards and our dear owners litigious nature, you may want to delete this post.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Yes, he was reprimanded by the Ontario Securities commission, and I have absolutely zero love for one of the worst owners in pro sports, but given the history of HF boards and our dear owners litigious nature, you may want to delete this post.

I think Sens nation would love nothing more then Tuna99 vs Melnyck in court over whether he is honest or dishonest.

I’d get more gofundme sponsors then Melnyck has season ticket holders

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Perhaps the owner can strike up some sort of agreement with all the fans who expect him to spend more of (his) money, without any regard to what the revenues are.

He could commit to a percentage of an increase to the players salary budget, commensurate with the exact same increase in season ticket sale for next season.

If Season tickets sales rises to 15% (over this season) then he commits an additional 15% increase to the internal budget.

Fans can put their money where their mouths are.

Perhaps the owner doesn't need to suck money out of the team to prop up other businesses, then cry about the team finances and ask the fans to pump more money to service his debt.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
How is this a "logical reason" for him to lie about his intentions about the rumoured sale of the team?

How does this alleged lie help him sell his team?

If you're planning in selling your house, do you put a for sale sign on the lawn, and when people ask you if or why you're selling, would you lie, and say that the house is not for sale, and that you may even consider re-locating it? .... How does that increase the value of your house, assuming you want to get the highest price for the house.

Are you asking me why liars lie?
and clearly you've never sold a valuable house privately.
(We'll go with the house anaology though it's a terrible one)
You have a nice expensive house you are looking to sell & put it out to the appropriate brokers who have that clientele. There is no need to plant a sign on your lawn, the people who need to know it's for sale know it's for sale. Why this way? Perhaps you don't want a circus around your house, maybe the buyers have asked not to divulge their names.
Maybe you aren't sure you want to sell in end (maybe it's not up to you, maybe units up to the banks and you are still trying to navigate that, but can't get caught with your pants down if thy turn you down. )

Cheers

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
This such an absurd position to take. You are essentially arguing the Melnyk either always lies or always tells the truth and people have to choose one or the other.

People can and should use all the information available to decide on a case by case basis whether they believe something or not. To suggest you need to believe everything or nothing is beyond ridiculous

When people, likeTuna99 says this ↓↓↓↓↓↓

I simply point out the flaw in their logic.

How would you do it?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
There is always risk that financing falls through. Nobody in the world is going to guarantee hundreds of millions or billions worth of financing before a project has even been negotiated.

To suggest otherwise...

Really?

Who would make an offer on a $900,000 house, if they didn't already know they had the financial ability to take on the required mortgage???

Would you?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I think Sens nation would love nothing more then Tuna99 vs Melnyck in court over whether he is honest or dishonest.

I’d get more gofundme sponsors then Melnyck has season ticket holders

more then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad