Theo Fleury

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Character is a requisite for the hall of fame. Fleury was my favorite player as a kid, but he doesn't belong in the HHOF

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Good god I hope not. Putting "Fluery" in the rafters would be more embarrassing as the Buffalo Sabres knock off and spelling error fiasco:
Why were Sabres jerseys misspelled? | Buffalo Hockey Central

I think Theoren Fleury would be in the HHOF if he stayed quiet for the last 5 years. Instead he's been doing and saying things to keep himself off that list.

As in putting out the book explaining how years and years of systematic abuse in the hockey culture can cripple your personality and decision making?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
As in putting out the book explaining how years and years of systematic abuse in the hockey culture can cripple your personality and decision making?

Uhh... no. Not that. It's significantly more abrasive than stuff like that and some of it is unfair and a bit loopy as well.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I love the woke world we live in.

This guy went through absolute trauma as a youth and young man, if shaped his future in the most negative way... a failure of multiple systems.

However, he’s pretty far right as far as Canadians go in his views, and thus he’s a dirtbag.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I love the woke world we live in.

This guy went through absolute trauma as a youth and young man, if shaped his future in the most negative way... a failure of multiple systems.

However, he’s pretty far right as far as Canadians go in his views, and thus he’s a dirtbag.

I totally get the point that you're trying to make, but Theo has an attribute to his personality where he downright attacks and tears down people. Yes, the trauma shaped him in a negative way, but that specific personality facet IMO is causing the necessary raucous behind the scenes where those involved in the NHL do not want to stand behind him and give him the recognition he deserves. That's what I am saying.

I don't think that the average fans considers him a dirt bag. But many of us understand that with him very willing to tear down and attack certain individuals, we can kinda see why perhaps there are those who don't want to interact with him nor potentially give him a platform to further tear down and attack more individuals. It's not an attempt to be woke. It's an attempt and main conclusion by many who perceive that is why he is not yet in the HHOF.

Reactions: Lunatik

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I totally get the point that you're trying to make, but Theo has an attribute to his personality where he downright attacks and tears down people. Yes, the trauma shaped him in a negative way, but that specific personality facet IMO is causing the necessary raucous behind the scenes where those involved in the NHL do not want to stand behind him and give him the recognition he deserves. That's what I am saying.

I don't think that the average fans considers him a dirt bag. But many of us understand that with him very willing to tear down and attack certain individuals, we can kinda see why perhaps there are those who don't want to interact with him nor potentially give him a platform to further tear down and attack more individuals. It's not an attempt to be woke. It's an attempt and main conclusion by many who perceive that is why he is not yet in the HHOF.
This is exactly why we won't retire his number too

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Is it something you can share here? I genuinely haven't seen anything since his book.

The entirety of his twitter feed is only a partial reflection of what he says. Supposedly he says to individuals directly and more.

https://twitter.com/TheoFleury14/with_replies?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Other basic stuff for instance that shed light into the situation was when he basically tore Conroy apart when his come back didn't end up the way he had hoped and he was cut at the end of the 2009 preseason.

Theo Fleury bashes Craig Conroy and more.

This is apparently just lower tier stuff of what he does/says when tearing people down, much of it not documented on the internet.

This is exactly why we won't retire his number too

I'd love to see a reconciliation between him and ownership so the retirement of his number can happen, but I don't know if this will happen any time soon.

Last edited:

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
The entirety of his twitter feed is only a partial reflection of what he says. Supposedly he says to individuals directly and more.

https://twitter.com/TheoFleury14?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Other basic stuff for instance that shed light into the situation was when he basically tore Conroy apart when his come back didn't end up the way he had hoped and he was cut at the end of the 2009 preseason.

Theo Fleury bashes Craig Conroy and more.

This is apparently just lower tier stuff of what he does/says when tearing people down, much of it not documented on the internet.

Okay, his Twitter feed is a mess. So weird seeing what he says mixed with mental health retweets.

Sort of a shame to see as I idolized him growing up.

I still hate how political the HoF is to an extent.

Reactions: Fig

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

No I get what you're saying; what I'm saying is we live in a world where trauma is an excuse for actions for some, however is not an excuse for others. Like, you think Theo would be this weird of a guy if his brain wasn't melted from decades of drug/alcohol use stemming from childhood abuse and systematic racism?

This is my main point:

His play on the ice is deserved of a HoF recognition. He's a top 50 all-time points/game scorer (with over 600 games played in the league) with over 1000 games played and 1000 points. If someone like Tim Horton who was an alcoholic wife beater is in the HoF, a guy who is mean on social media probably doesn't hit the same way.

Just saying. I get why he'll never get in there, and I get why the Flames will likely never raise that 14 either.

The thing though, I've met him... I don't know how many times over the years now; dude's a really, really good guy; just opinionated and really has no ability to hold his tongue.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Might be the all time king of burning bridges. Loved Theo the hockey player. Theo the person is a pretty big scumbag, and while the HoF definitely includes some of those too, in this media climate I find it unlikely they'd consider him.

Talk to ANYONE who ever went into business with him, he f***ed every single one of them over. I get that he had some significant trauma as an adolescent, most of us thankfully will never know what that's like, but using it as an excuse to be an asshole for 30 years just rubs me the wrong way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad