OT: Theo Fleury

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I think it was a shame the way the media came down on him. His antics were less about being an ass as Sean Avery is, and more to do with underlying mental health and addiction issues well as being a sufferer of serious abuse as an adolescent.

The tail end of his NHL career really overshadowed what a great and determined NHL player he was.

He's one of the few 1000 point players who did not garner most of those points during the high scoring 80s.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I loved him... guy had his demons, but still cared more than any other Ranger in that 10 year period. I hope he is well, and stays that way. He and Jagr were easily the best Rangers to watch over the last 15-20 years IMO.

I get the Marchand comparisons... I get the Marchand/Zucc combo suggestion... but Theo was really on another stratosphere from those guys in terms of talent.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I loved him... guy had his demons, but still cared more than any other Ranger in that 10 year period. I hope he is well, and stays that way. He and Jagr were easily the best Rangers to watch over the last 15-20 years IMO.

I get the Marchand comparisons... I get the Marchand/Zucc combo suggestion... but Theo was really on another stratosphere from those guys in terms of talent.

Completely agree with you, I wasn't trying to suggest Marchand and Zuccs are on Fleury's level, just felt that their style of play, when meshed up is what Fleury embodied to me. A hard working, in your face blood and guts style of play while at the same time battling through the "disadvantages" of being a small player in a league among mammoth trees.

There are and were very few players that would make you get out of your seat. Fleury was one of them and to me he was a true superstar.

Who knows what could have been if he didn't have his demons.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I actually had words with him from the stands during pre-game warmups his first season here. He was entertaining but, disappointing. It's a shame Gretzky retired right before they signed him. I would have loved to see them play together for at least his for his first season which was a total disaster. I think he had 16 goals that season.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I actually had words with him from the stands during pre-game warmups his first season here. He was entertaining but, disappointing. It's a shame Gretzky retired right before they signed him. I would have loved to see them play together for at least his for his first season which was a total disaster. I think he had 16 goals that season.

Sounds amazing. I wish Wayne and him had played together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad