OT: Theo Fleury

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I really enjoyed having Theo as a Ranger. He was a very good player for us in a bad era for Ranger fans. He was battling some personal issues but I even rooted for him in his mini "comeback" some years ago. I wish he was a Ranger for his whole career.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Great player--kind of like Brad Marchand is today. His last year here though he kind of lost control of his life and it had a bad impact on the ice.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I thought he brought some much needed pride and give-a-crapness to a franchise severely lacking in both departements. I can imagine for fans older than me at the time, though, that his antics got tiresome.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
hell of a hockey player when he was here. the only bright spot on a pretty awful Rangers crew, IMO. loved watching him play, especially that first year with us

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I wish Theo's life wasn't as messed up back then. He was a giant of a player.

It's as if Zuccs had a child with Marchand.

I only wish there was footage of him kicking Sharkie's ass. I know it may have been a horrible experience for the guy in the costume but I can't help but laugh at the sight of a 5'5 guy beating up a mascot with a giant shark head.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I wish Theo's life wasn't as messed up back then. He was a giant of a player.

It's as if Zuccs had a child with Marchand.

I only wish there was footage of him kicking Sharkie's ass. I know it may have been a horrible experience for the guy in the costume but I can't help but laugh at the sight of a 5'5 guy beating up a mascot with a giant shark head.

Hell of a player. He had Avery's kind of attitude and a lot more skill to back it up. Amazing what he accomplished with the off-ice issues he was experiencing at the time.

Fleury was one of my favorites. Hell of a player and always exciting to watch.

Poor Sharkie didn't stand a chance.

AVsTimeOut

Jan 31, 2012
AV's Gum Retailer.
NY was probably the worst thing for him.
Not as a player, but as a person. He was a great player and my earliest memories as a NYR fan revolve around Theo, but, the city with all the drugs and alcohol spots, on top of the things he was going through, this wasn't the place for him.

Grab a copy of his book if you can. Really good read.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Loved him. His attitude, energy, and skill were fun to watch. I felt terrible afterwards reading how bad his personal life became in NYC but watching him on the ice at the time was fun.

He was Sean Avery with an all-star skillset. Drove everyone on the other team crazy, didn't back down from anything, and was an offfensive force.

And yeah poor Sharkie :D

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Didn't see him play until his comeback tour with the Flames in pre-season. There was a lot of talk around that and from what I remember, he played well enough for a contract, but didn't receive one. That's a shame really, would've loved to see him.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Fleury was awesome on the Rangers. The Brad Marchand comparison is really spot on. Fleury was so fun to watch on the PK and he went full tilt despite playing on Rangers teams where half the roster were essentially terrible players and the other half were just older vets cashing in. I'm actually really glad he's turned his life around, he does a lot of positive work in the community and seems to be a really happy dude now.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
FLY Line and Czech Mates were my two favorite lines growing up.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Probably the reason I'm a Rangers fan. For all it's worth, I knew nothing about hockey, till we got a copy of NHL 2000. I picked the Rangers, knew New York. And he was on the team, fastest player in the game. It just stuck.

With time and internet access I learned some stuff about him. The alcohol abuse and all. I guess we was an entertaining Ranger. He was an exceptional hockey player and certainly been through stuff.

I can only thank him for kind of bringing me to the Rangers.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
I loved the guy because I saw him out here in Calgary a number of times and knew he was always balls to the wall.
With the Rangers, good hockey was mixed with his emotional troubles. I was actually glad for him in a weird way when it imploded.
So, some very good passionate and effective hockey, some unhinged behaviour.
Great guy and I am glad he worked his way out.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Loved him...

I came to post this, figures you did already lol

This was my in my top 5 favorite NYR reg season games EVER.

Only screen printed jersey I have is from Cosbys…Sandy McCarthy lol Had to have him on my back. He was severely under used.

This is about Theo though, and he was a favorite of mine before he came over, loved being able to own a NYR jersey with Fleury on the back as well.

BlaqICE

Apr 10, 2007
N.Y.
Theo Fleury was the reason I HAD to have those yellow wax laces on my hockey skates growing up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad