Post-Game Talk: Them and us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Because Schmidt has shown top-4 ability and is only 24 years old?

He's been miles better than Orlov this season, IMO, and has proven a heck of a lot more than Bowey.

I am purely focused on this year and next year, as it seems that is is current window with this team. We really should target 4 young d-men to be in our top 4. We need some vets, and once Orpik is relagated to third pair, we will have 5 young dmen once Bowey is ready. Maybe as soon as next year? Certainly by 2017, when we will lose a few FA's from the roster. So it's either Orlov or Schmidt that can help us to get better, now. I personally like Orlov better as I think he has a higher ceiling, and can get to that top 4 level faster than Schmidt. This year even? Next year for sure?

Again, I'd like to see a short term upgrade from Orlov or Schmidt. Coupling it with a Laich package, that would get us the better bottom 6 forward and the better bottom pair (or middle pair if Orpik as already started his slow down). Perhaps it's Orlov then to get traded?

Alzner -Niskanen
Traded D - Carlson
Orpik - Orlov/Schmidt

If we add a nice future piece (Vrana, Voracek, Carrick, etc) then we should be able to get a good middle pair Dman and bottom 6 C/F in return.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Schmidt for a bottom 6 forward is crazy. If you trade him, it'd better be for a clear direct upgrade. I really just don't see the point., or any reasonable targets. Schmidt gives you top-4 level play at $812K this season and next.

Just move futures and salary.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think that we need to see a whole lot more of Orlov if we are to trade Schmidt because Orlov is the keeper of the two. Meanwhile, I think it awfully presumptuous to conclude that Orpik will be in hard decline so to be dropped to the 3rd pair and need a veteran top 4 added.

So far Schmidt has been better than Orlov by far, as has been mentioned. Lets let Orlov show that he is going to be the better player for these next playoffs

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Schmidt for a bottom 6 forward is crazy. If you trade him, it'd better be for a clear direct upgrade. I really just don't see the point., or any reasonable targets. Schmidt gives you top-4 level play at $812K this season and next.

Just move futures and salary.

Where is anyone saying that they want to trade Schmidt straight up for a bottom 6 forward? Or are you just reading what you want to read?

Schmidt is a very valuable trade piece, one that could get us a better defense *TODAY* than him, and could also help us to shed Laich's contract so we can get a more cost effective bottom 6 forward.

Take the 5.3m spent on Schmidt and Laich and get a 4m defenseman and a 1.5m forward. Both veterans. That would significantly upgrade the defense, and give us a much more reliable insurance policy if Orpik, Niskanen, Alzner, or Carlson get hurt. And it would allow the bottom 6 to get a player that better fits the mold and cost structure of that role.

If the goal is to maximize the next "great Ovechkin window of 15-16 and 16-17 seasons", then it obvious that they need to move either Orlov or Schmidt. I like Orlov better for the reasons I have described in this thread, and with Bowey being 1-2 years away, we have another young D to plug into the bottom pair role come 2017-18.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'd trade Orlov way before I trade Schmidt, but trading either would be a mistake. I'm more than comfortable with moving Bowey.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I think that we need to see a whole lot more of Orlov if we are to trade Schmidt because Orlov is the keeper of the two. Meanwhile, I think it awfully presumptuous to conclude that Orpik will be in hard decline so to be dropped to the 3rd pair and need a veteran top 4 added.

So far Schmidt has been better than Orlov by far, as has been mentioned. Lets let Orlov show that he is going to be the better player for these next playoffs

Playing the waiting game would be so...George. Haven't we learned enough from that tactic? That never works, as you don't know when the right acquisition will become available (look at the Hamonic situation, as an example....things just pop up, out of the blue, and you need to be ready to take advantage).

IF we really want the Cup, this season may be our best chance. Perhaps next...but I wouldn't look much beyond that. Ovechkin will be 32, and we have a truckload of players that will need new more expensive contracts.

The sense of urgency to really "complete" this team should be now, and the best way to do that is to dump Laich's massive salary, and to do so by adding Orlov or Schmidt. Then use that salary a heckuva lot more wisely than it is today.

In a perfect world, they'd find a way to add a player like Francois Beauchamin (salary is 4.5m, thru 2018), or Dan Hamhuis (4.25m thru this season), or Mark Fayne (3.5m thru 2018)....or you get my drift.

We all thought Mike Green was too expensive for the bottom pair, and he was....but we had our best defense in a long long time, last year, so I would welcome Laich's salary slot to be used on another top 4 dman. We'd be stacked.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I'd trade Orlov way before I trade Schmidt, but trading either would be a mistake. I'm more than comfortable with moving Bowey.

I think we need another top 4 d-man for the playoffs. Trading Bowey would just create a larger log jam, and that would mean one of Orlov or Schmidt would be sitting anyway.

Whomever is dealt, Laich HAS to go with them, or else there isn't enough salary moved to fit anyone worthwhile in.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't really disagree with any of that where this season is concerned. But I don't see where trading Schmidt is necessary or the right move to do it.

I still expect that Orpik will be on the 1st pair though come playoffs and landing a Hamhuis would mean making the 3rd pair stronger and presenting better depth. Are you thinking he needs to be demoted now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad