Speculation: The Worst Penguins Skaters of All Time (and maybe some of the good ones too)

Who was the worst skater this poor club has ever seen?

• Michel "Mango Salsa" Ouellet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
So, all the discussion about Poulin and his potential lack of wheels got me thinking... who was the absolute WORST skating Penguin you saw lace up the skates? Robitaille? Douglas Murray? Michel "Mango Salsa" Ouellet?

We talk a lot about how much we want this team to be fast and mobile, but honestly, we've seen a lot of plodding benders in the black and gold. You know, the guys who skate like they've got hot nails in their boots. The guys who can't stay on their feet. The guys who just frankly look UGLY on the ice.

And then after we get bored, we can talk about the Pens who could actually skate.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I'll go with the football player turned hockey player, Jay Caufield.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'll go with the football player turned hockey player, Jay Caufield.

Weirdly enough Stevens was too (as well as a drafted baseball prospect), but focused on hockey because he thought he'd have a better shot in making it professionally (which was true).

Reactions: td_ice

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Weirdly enough Stevens was too (as well as a drafted baseball prospect), but focused on hockey because he thought he'd have a better shot in making it professionally (which was true).
Huh, wow, I never knew that, interesting.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I still remember the interview with GM Eddie Johnston, after he traded for the rights to Kevin Stevens. "he's a big forward with good hands. He needs to improve his skating. If he can, we may have something there. If not, we gave up nothing to get him." (a slam to Anders Hakansson who went the other way in the trade.)

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Steve McKenna was pretty bad. The only reason he didn't lose more fights outright was because he'd fall over after the first punch was thrown. The guy made Sheary look like Jagr in terms of being able to stay on your feet. I'd say he was a much much worse skater than Douglas Murray. Murray at least had balance going for him.

Too often speed=god skater in many people's minds. I've heard Sheary described as a great skater but to me his poor balance washes out his speed, I'd consider him average at best. Then I heard guys call Kovalev (in his prime) not a very good skater because he lacked the top end speed yet to me he was a very very good skater. His edge work, balance and ability to make sharp, quick cuts was fun to watch.

Last edited:

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I say Murray, but probably only because of recency bias. I know those other guys were slow, but it's been so long on someone like Franky Leroux, it's hard to compare.

If you separate the goons and defensemen/goons/long reach, then you have to also consider Robbie Brown's hall of fame scoring touch neutered by his skating in quicksand. I think Robert Dome may also make the category, and Jock Callendar was also historically and memorably bad.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I say Murray, but probably only because of recency bias. I know those other guys were slow, but it's been so long on someone like Franky Leroux, it's hard to compare.

If you separate the goons and defensemen/goons/long reach, then you have to also consider Robbie Brown's hall of fame scoring touch neutered by his skating in quicksand. I think Robert Dome may also make the category, and Jock Callendar was also historically and memorably bad.

I thought Dome could skate? I have little recollection of him... think I read his parents died or something and that derailed his career.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I thought Dome could skate? I have little recollection of him... think I read his parents died or something and that derailed his career.

Hah, you beat me to Robbie Brown by a minute. On Dome, I'm not sure if it was skating, effort, or other issues as you mention.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Hah, you beat me to Robbie Brown by a minute. On Dome, I'm not sure if it was skating, effort, or other issues as you mention.

Brown was so cooked in his second stint...

With Dome I remember his stickhandling being pretty good... just can’t recall much else about him TBTH.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
uss.hal_.gill_.jpg

Godard and tough guys in general
J. Samuelsson
McKee
McKensie
J. Mullen
M. Ramsey
Sydor

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I’ll go with Murray, only because he was the worst culprit in a horrible deadline that turned a pretty damn good team into a sluggish mess with no chemistry. And Shero gave real assets to get him.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Rico Fata just kidding Francois Leroux and Jordan Staal way back when He had nights where He looked like He was skating in mud..Jordan Staal is pretty good today.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Caufield could barely stand. It has to be him but Leroux could give him a slow for his money.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Went with Crankshaft. Honestly can't remember Caufield playing, let alone skating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad