Post-Game Talk: The Worst GDT Ever Again: Devils visit Rangers 3pm

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
I happen to think Moose can be a good goalie, but just as a backup only. He's just not a capable starter. He was great for a week at the beginning of 11-12, but came back down to earth after that while Marty was injured. He seemed to be at his best his last week of being a starter this year except for that Rangers game.

I think if Marty never gets injured, and Moose just comes off the bench weekly like he had been then he probably finishes the season with a good save percentage like the last two years before this. He particularly looked bad in back to backs also. That's where Pete needs to try and change the momentum. The penalty kill was a mess though during Moose's starting tenure this year, and he was only given 1.83 goals of support per game.

However reports of Marty scoring on him in practice are somewhat disturbing.:laugh: Same with the shootout lineup in practice where it was mostly defensemen, and Kosto beating him.:laugh:

Hedberg has always been a little shaky, even when he won 17 games for us last year, he had some games where he wasn't really being challenged at all and some were gimmes. You can really only live with a Hedberg type if you have a bonafide stud like a Carey Price who chews up so many of the games on the schedule. I really truly believe last year was an anomaly for Hedberg and for us in general with having a 39 yr old Brodeur as the #1. I mean, it's not like Hedberg is young either. He's old. Probably part of the reason he stunk so bad this year when we needed him to string together multiple starts. He got exposed badly.

If Marty's ego keeps telling him he's the #1 and should be playing 60-65 games, Lou needs to have a heart to heart with him this offseason. I think it's in Marty's best interest to be honest to be reduced to a 40-42 game workload. I think we'd get a more effective, athletic, and rested Brodeur if we could get to the playoffs next year with someone other than Hedberg.

We really need to impact a transition and next year is the best time to do so. Going into 2014-2015 with two goalie slots open is not a good idea.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Hedberg has always been a little shaky, even when he won 17 games for us last year, he had some games where he wasn't really being challenged at all and some were gimmes. You can really only live with a Hedberg type if you have a bonafide stud like a Carey Price who chews up so many of the games on the schedule. I really truly believe last year was an anomaly for Hedberg and for us in general with having a 39 yr old Brodeur as the #1. I mean, it's not like Hedberg is young either. He's old. Probably part of the reason he stunk so bad this year when we needed him to string together multiple starts. He got exposed badly.

If Marty's ego keeps telling him he's the #1 and should be playing 60-65 games, Lou needs to have a heart to heart with him this offseason. I think it's in Marty's best interest to be honest to be reduced to a 40-42 game workload. I think we'd get a more effective, athletic, and rested Brodeur if we could get to the playoffs next year with someone other than Hedberg.

We really need to impact a transition and next year is the best time to do so. Going into 2014-2015 with two goalie slots open is not a good idea.
Totally agree about Hedberg. The grandfathers are not going to be able to carry the workload anymore. Marty needs a younger back up. I think it will go along way in helping this team.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
I happen to think Moose can be a good goalie, but just as a backup only. He's just not a capable starter. He was great for a week at the beginning of 11-12, but came back down to earth after that while Marty was injured. He seemed to be at his best his last week of being a starter this year except for that Rangers game.

I think if Marty never gets injured, and Moose just comes off the bench weekly like he had been then he probably finishes the season with a good save percentage like the last two years before this. He particularly looked bad in back to backs also. That's where Pete needs to try and change the momentum. The penalty kill was a mess though during Moose's starting tenure this year, and he was only given 1.83 goals of support per game.

However reports of Marty scoring on him in practice are somewhat disturbing.:laugh: Same with the shootout lineup in practice where it was mostly defensemen, and Kosto beating him.:laugh:

I think your bar is pretty low on judging the quality of goaltenders since you're down there in Florida and get treated to the wonderful display of world-class goaltending that is the Panthers and Lightning. Haha.

Anybody looks good compared to the likes of Clemmensen.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
i realize that the team was as close to dead in the water as it could be .....but man, what a ****** way to go out being serenaded like that at madison square garbage.

...this season feels worse then the mac era for me. a trip to the final and great start and expectations only to finish bottom 10 and seeing division rivals and toronto going on......not to mention being mentioned in the same breath as the slugs.

what a disappointment. :(

...its going to be a long summer.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think your bar is pretty low on judging the quality of goaltenders since you're down there in Florida and get treated to the wonderful display of world-class goaltending that is the Panthers and Lightning. Haha.

Anybody looks good compared to the likes of Clemmensen.

Never have truer words been spoken than anybody looks good compared to that piece of garbage.:laugh: You got him and those 3 other mattresses down here. The Tampa Bay Tempur-pedic twins, and the Loch Ness Markster.:laugh:

My bar is pretty high actually which is why I say trash like Mike Smith is overrated. I've played a little goalie so I know how hard it is to stop those deflections that seem to cripple us every game, but we barely can get one to go our way. Hedberg was a very good backup for us for two years before this, and he was fantastic in the first few games when he was getting sporadic starts. I agree that there were times he wasn't really tested. Though he's a good backup I think.

Personally I'm more interested in getting some scoring. Hedberg is fine as a backup, but should NEVER be counted on to start that many games or at least not in back to backs. I wouldn't want Marty to start in back to backs in an 82 game season. We've seen the early and mid 30s Marty start so many games in the regular season, and be pretty ineffective come playoff time. So that means if Hedberg gets injured then someone else needs to get a chance to play in his spot during the back to backs next year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Never have truer words been spoken than anybody looks good compared to that piece of garbage.:laugh: You got him and those 3 other mattresses down here. The Tampa Bay Tempur-pedic twins, and the Loch Ness Markster.:laugh:

My bar is pretty high actually which is why I say trash like Mike Smith is overrated. I've played a little goalie so I know how hard it is to stop those deflections that seem to cripple us every game, but we barely can get one to go our way. Hedberg was a very good backup for us for two years before this, and he was fantastic in the first few games when he was getting sporadic starts. I agree that there were times he wasn't really tested. Though he's a good backup I think.

Personally I'm more interested in getting some scoring. Hedberg is fine as a backup, but should NEVER be counted on to start that many games or at least not in back to backs. I wouldn't want Marty to start in back to backs in an 82 game season. We've seen the early and mid 30s Marty start so many games in the regular season, and be pretty ineffective come playoff time. So that means if Hedberg gets injured then someone else needs to get a chance to play in his spot during the back to backs next year.

I swear your nick names are the work of genius.:laugh: Jesus that made me laugh.

In seriousness though I agree that if Marty were to get hurt again next year, Pete can't be so stubborn and force Moose to start every game. That is just really really dumb. If Moose is sticking around he has to be splitting time, whether it is with Marty or a kid.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i realize that the team was as close to dead in the water as it could be .....but man, what a ****** way to go out being serenaded like that at madison square garbage.

...this season feels worse then the mac era for me. a trip to the final and great start and expectations only to finish bottom 10 and seeing division rivals and toronto going on......not to mention being mentioned in the same breath as the slugs.

what a disappointment. :(

...its going to be a long summer.
I hear you there. I am still trying to stomach the fact that the Islanders will be in the playoffs, and not us. The frickin Islanders! Well a lot of people here wanted to see them make a run. I always said if they do anytime soon it would probably involve us not being in the playoffs.
I swear your nick names are the work of genius.:laugh: Jesus that made me laugh.

In seriousness though I agree that if Marty were to get hurt again next year, Pete can't be so stubborn and force Moose to start every game. That is just really really dumb. If Moose is sticking around he has to be splitting time, whether it is with Marty or a kid.
Thanks! Glad to make people laugh in these maybe somewhat disheartening times around here. :(

Yeah that's on Pete for not trying to change things up. Kinkaid played pretty well in his period+ of work, and even stopped one of the best players in the league on a breakaway. I don't give a **** if he has a 906 save percentage in the AHL. He will probably be more protected here, and who knows? It might have forced the team to play a little tighter in front of him. Especially on the PK which was horrid at that time during that sretch for awhile there.

Still have a hard time blaming Moose when the team scored 1.83 goals for him. I always said Marty on top of his game could have just gotten us loser OT points, and it seemed once he came back, and Kovy went down that's exactly what was happening in half those games. We were losing in shootouts. Had the team played like that with Marty then maybe we'd be in the playoffs, but we'd have so many loser points it would put last years Panthers to shame, and many people loved to rip on their record last year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I hear you there. I am still trying to stomach the fact that the Islanders will be in the playoffs, and not us. The frickin Islanders! Well a lot of people here wanted to see them make a run. I always said if they do anytime soon it would probably involve us not being in the playoffs.

Thanks! Glad to make people laugh in these maybe somewhat disheartening times around here. :(

Yeah that's on Pete for not trying to change things up. Kinkaid played pretty well in his period+ of work, and even stopped one of the best players in the league on a breakaway. I don't give a **** if he has a 906 save percentage in the AHL. He will probably be more protected here, and who knows? It might have forced the team to play a little tighter in front of him. Especially on the PK which was horrid at that time during that sretch for awhile there.

Still have a hard time blaming Moose when the team scored 1.83 goals for him. I always said Marty on top of his game could have just gotten us loser OT points, and it seemed once he came back, and Kovy went down that's exactly what was happening in half those games. We were losing in shootouts. Had the team played like that with Marty then maybe we'd be in the playoffs, but we'd have so many loser points it would put last years Panthers to shame, and many people loved to rip on their record last year.

Wasn't just the offense in the Moose games. We went over how horrific the PK during that time, and honestly the 5 on 5 defense was more error prone during that period too. We tightened up defensively when Marty came back, part of it expected with his puck play, but we stopped scoring goals period.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wasn't just the offense in the Moose games. We went over how horrific the PK during that time, and honestly the 5 on 5 defense was more error prone during that period too. We tightened up defensively when Marty came back, part of it expected with his puck play, but we stopped scoring goals period.

I think a lot of that had to with Kovy being injured when we stopped scoring goals when Marty came back. The offense was pretty dry with Moose though too when Kovy was still in the lineup.

I am conveniently cherry pick as the feed me stats people would say. We actually scored something like 2.07 goals per game when Moose was starting, and Marty was injured. I conveniently leave out the 5-2 Flyers win with the goal explosion though. That one game skews the numbers, and brings them above 2.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think a lot of that had to with Kovy being injured when we stopped scoring goals when Marty came back. The offense was pretty dry with Moose though too when Kovy was still in the lineup.

I am conveniently cherry pick as the feed me stats people would say. We actually scored something like 2.07 goals per game when Moose was starting, and Marty was injured. I conveniently leave out the 5-2 Flyers win with the goal explosion though. That one game skews the numbers, and brings them above 2.

You can see the team lost hope when Kovy got hurt. They still worked and tried, but they still felt to beaten to put the effort to good use. Someone mentioned earlier this might have all started when Zach left. Very hard pill to swallow to watch your captain take off like that, then suffer through another lockout. Team never really came to play 100% this year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You can see the team lost hope when Kovy got hurt. They still worked and tried, but they still felt to beaten to put the effort to good use. Someone mentioned earlier this might have all started when Zach left. Very hard pill to swallow to watch your captain take off like that, then suffer through another lockout. Team never really came to play 100% this year.

I don't really buy that at all considering the start they got off to. They were in a bit of a rut for a few games after that (2-3-1 immediately after the 8-1-3 start) until the Marty injury then that's when they fell down a black hole they never really got out of. Just when they were starting to climb out of it a little (4-2-1 in a seven-game stretch), bang Kovy gets hurt, they suffer three straight tough losses and go down the black hole again.

They just weren't a deep team at all. Had nothing to do with being 'depressed' over losing Zach. They didn't even lose hope when Kovy got hurt (right away), they had one of their best games in Ottawa. They lost hope when that didn't result in a win, then they had the dual nightmare down in Florida.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This kinda started when I started to see my girlfriend. The first Devils game we watched when she was over was the Tavares hat trick against the Islanders. Pretty embarrassing game to watch. We got together during the winning streak of 5 games, but that was the first game she watched the Devils with me. I rarely invited her over after a couple more losses after that like the Ovechkin hat trick which she was also over for.:laugh: In fact she would usually come over on the weekends to watch them with me, and we won maybe a game?. I remember watching the Buffalo shootout loss with her. The first one with Moose in net. I think the only game we won that she came over for was the game against the Panthers which is when Kovy got injured.

Then I took her to the Lightning game with me, and we all know how that went. Luckily she didn't come with me to the Panthers game. It's a 4 hour ride there as opposed to the 40 minute one to the TB Times Forum. My buddy, and I went. I didn't think they'd blow a win like the with the 6th attacker the second night in a row, but they did. We ran up the steps after the OT goal so we didn't have to hear the post game three stars with the Panthers carnival ride PA annoucer.:laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't really buy that at all considering the start they got off to. They were in a bit of a rut for a few games after that (2-3-1 immediately after the 8-1-3 start) until the Marty injury then that's when they fell down a black hole they never really got out of. Just when they were starting to climb out of it a little (4-2-1 in a seven-game stretch), bang Kovy gets hurt, they suffer three straight tough losses and go down the black hole again.

They just weren't a deep team at all. Had nothing to do with being 'depressed' over losing Zach. They didn't even lose hope when Kovy got hurt (right away), they had one of their best games in Ottawa. They lost hope when that didn't result in a win, then they had the dual nightmare down in Florida.

Maybe fair to say the dual nightmares in Florida was when it fell apart. Maybe different outcome if we don't implode down there.

honestly this all started when my ex dumped me. It was almost right after the finals, around when Zach left. Been down hill since.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Maybe fair to say the dual nightmares in Florida was when it fell apart. Maybe different outcome if we don't implode down there.

honestly this all started when my ex dumped me. It was almost right after the finals, around when Zach left. Been down hill since.

Your ex dumped you, I found a girlfriend, bad luck ever since.:nod:

I swear to god we've watched every weekend game, and the only one that we've won was the Florida game in which Kovy got injured. We only won that game cause Crapper gave up an amateur league goal to Clarkson. Then again Marty should have had the shutout that game, but he gave us flashes of Moose.:laugh::laugh: Guess he wanted to one up Moose for impersonating him so many times with the puck playing, and flopping haha.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Your ex dumped you, I found a girlfriend, bad luck ever since.:nod:

I swear to god we've watched every weekend game, and the only one that we've won was the Florida game in which Kovy got injured. We only won that game cause Crapper gave up an amateur league goal to Clarkson. Then again Marty should have had the shutout that game, but he gave us flashes of Moose.:laugh::laugh: Guess he wanted to one up Moose for impersonating him so many times with the puck playing, and flopping haha.

I watched every game last year in person or on TV with my ex and we were rolling. Things got screwy during the finals, and fell apart soon after. I swear she cursed the Devils, Yanks and Giants as they all crashed and burned since. Eff her man.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I watched every game last year in person or on TV with my ex and we were rolling. Things got screwy during the finals, and fell apart soon after. I swear she cursed the Devils, Yanks and Giants as they all crashed and burned since. Eff her man.

That sucks man. Just find someone else, and if she isn't a Devils fan already just please make sure you don't watch an Islanders game with her to introduce her to the Devils man. We always play them like they're a pee wee squad team. Maybe if we would have showed up those two last awful games.:rant:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That sucks man. Just find someone else, and if she isn't a Devils fan already just please make sure you don't watch an Islanders game with her to introduce her to the Devils man. We always play them like they're a pee wee squad team. Maybe if we would have showed up those two last awful games.:rant:

So many maybes and what ifs this year. Why this season sucks. The playoffs was ours all year and we pissed it away. Those two games in Florida. Ugh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad