Player Discussion The World Championship Thread (Tuch, Krebs, JJ, Quinn, Levi) - Friday May 12, 2023 - Sunday May 28, 2023; Tampere, Finland and Riga, Latvia co-hosting

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Figured it might be time to get a jump on the WC thread.

So there is some chatter that Levi might be on the Canadian team and there are reports that Girgensons is going to play for Latvia despite his UFA contract status. Cozens used participation last year to springboard his game forward this season after tying for tournament lead in goals. Asplund was a goal behind him and completely fell apart. Dahlin lead the Swedes in scoring last year and has carried that into this season. So... a mixed bag.

I could see a bunch of guys turning down the invite due to the injuries but I would expect Kulich to get the call for the Czechs, Peterka for the Germans, and the possibility of Levi for the Canadians hangs out there.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

So there is some chatter that Levi might be on the Canadian team and there are reports that Girgensons is going to play for Latvia despite his UFA contract status. Cozens used participation last year to springboard his game forward this season after tying for tournament lead in goals. Asplund was a goal behind him and completely fell apart. Dahlin lead the Swedes in scoring last year and has carried that into this season. So... a mixed bag.

I could see a bunch of guys turning down the invite due to the injuries but I would expect Kulich to get the call for the Czechs, Peterka for the Germans, and the possibility of Levi for the Canadians hangs out there.
Would Kulich play if Rochester were still in playoffs? I feel he gets in givrn how he played in AHL this year.

baring injuries I think Power gets an invite.

historically US and Canada have usually given 1-2 spots to NCAA players. Levi would be on a short list of possible invites. Other pro goalies played more games. You figure other than 1-2 games he plays he would be rested.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Would Kulich play if Rochester were still in playoffs? I feel he gets in givrn how he played in AHL this year.

baring injuries I think Power gets an invite.

historically US and Canada have usually given 1-2 spots to NCAA players. Levi would be on a short list of possible invites. Other pro goalies played more games. You figure other than 1-2 games he plays he would be rested.

I doubt Rochester will still be in the playoffs.

Levi, Gus, Kulich, maybe Rousek, maybe Power though getting him rested and in the gym seems like a big thing too.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

No players from Canada’s 2018 world junior team will participate for Team Canada at the 2023 IIHF Men’s World Hockey Championship, Hockey Canada confirmed in a statement to The Athletic.

“Earlier this year, Hockey Canada made a decision that until the investigation and adjudicative process of the alleged incident in 2018 are complete, no players from the 2018 National Junior Team will be considered for participation for Team Canada,” Hockey Canada said in the statement. “This has been communicated to the management group for Team Canada at the 2023 IIHF Men’s World Championship.”

Reactions: Chainshot

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Despite being UFA, hosting the tourney probably gets Zemgus to play.

Assume Dahlin, Thompson, and Samuelsson all decide to rest their injuries.

Locks:
Latvia: Girgensons
Germany: Peterka
Finland: Jokiharju

Possibles:
Canada: Krebs, Cozens, Power, Levi, Comrie if they get desperate?
US: Greenway, Tuch (maybe he decides to rest as well)
Finland: UPL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Despite being UFA, hosting the tourney probably gets Zemgus to play.

Assume Dahlin, Thompson, and Samuelsson all decide to rest their injuries.

Locks:
Latvia: Girgensons
Germany: Peterka
Finland: Jokiharju

Possibles:
Canada: Krebs, Cozens, Power, Levi, Comrie if they get desperate?
US: Greenway, Tuch (maybe he decides to rest as well)
Finland: UPL

Gus is on record saying he's playing regardless. Which also makes me think he already has something worked out where he'll be re-signed regardless too.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

Our playoffs to watch sabres players. We aren't done yet!

Reactions: elchud

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Our playoffs to watch sabres players. We aren't done yet!

It's an interesting time of year. The WC's for guys on the big club, then there are teams like Winnipeg, Gatineau, Quebec, and Red Deer who all play tomorrow night. Djurgarden starts their series with Modo on the 16th. And the Amerks have 3-in-3 to determine if they have home ice, open on the road, or have to play the play-in round. With the strength of some of the teams they have key players on, they may have some Memorial Cup participants.

Oh, and the U18's start in a week if you want to get a look at some of the non-CHL draft talent out there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Canada has named Arizona's head coach André Tourigny to be their bench boss.

I wonder if Don gets another invite to be on staff for the US like last year?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I hope Mitts and Krebs go after seeing the positive impact it had on Cozens

Krebs, I don't know if he's even on Canada's radar so that would be an interesting invite. They could get the 2021 U20 band back together and have him, Cozens and Quinn all go if they are able. Levi with his international participation might be another add. I would rather not have Power go - that lad needs to be strapping on the protein and moving some plates as soon as possible.

I'm curious if Dahlin is recovered enough from the late-season battering to go. Honestly, I'd rather he doesn't, but he's a proud dude. It's also five weeks out for the start of it so maybe whatever he's got is over by then.

Peterka should be a no-brainer for the Germans unless there is something weird we don't know about that he has to have repaired.

I wonder if Tuch gets an invite from the US.

Does Jokiharju get an invite from the Finns, especially since they are the hosts? It would be nice if he is and has a solid tournament even if it is just for value building for the summer.

Kulich seems like a lock if the Amerks are out by then.

Gus of course has told the Latvians he is participating and I figure that's due to having an agreement already on a future deal with Buffalo.

It's always interesting to see who is healthy enough, under contract, and then invited.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Gus is on record saying he's playing regardless. Which also makes me think he already has something worked out where he'll be re-signed regardless too.
He’s told them he’s not going now.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

The Tuch brothers are a model of duality.

One went to BC, the other is at BU.
One plays for the Sabres, the other is a Montreal prospect.
One was featured on "Between 2 Stalls", the other isn't.

The only thing Luke got right was his choice of college. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad