Gallant-Federko-Mclelland
Robertson-Chabot-Shank
Adams-Habscheid-Kocur

Chiasson-Zombo
Houda-O'Connell
Norwood-Salming

Hanlon
Chevaldae

This was a couple of years before I became a Wings fan, but it amazes me how different that roster was 2-3 years later, at which point it was our dominant roster for the next 10 years. Lotsa names on this team that I don't know. Would be interested to hear what our older fans remember of it.

Discuss.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
1989-90 season

Burr-Yzerman-Barr
Robertson-Chabot-Shank
Adams-Habscheid-Kocur

Chiasson-Zombo
Houda-O'Connell
Norwood-Salming

Hanlon
Chevaldae

This was a couple of years before I became a Wings fan, but it amazes me how different that roster was 2-3 years later, at which point it was our dominant roster for the next 10 years. Lotsa names on this team that I don't know. Would be interested to hear what our older fans remember of it.

Discuss.

Wow. I started watching the Wings faithfully around '86 and I don't even remember some of those names.

They also added Jimmy Carson that season in a painful trade that sent Adam Graves, Joe Murphy, and Petr Klima to Edmonton. Carson never lived up to expectations and they lost a great young player in Graves.

That year was a young Sean Burr before Wings fans seemed to turn on him. He would hit anybody and usually crushed them. Ran his mouth constantly too but in ways that were mostly amusing.

The goalie wars prior to that year were Hanlon or Stefan (I was a Hanlon guy). Then Cheveldae came along and a goaltender carousel started until the Osgood era.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
what happened to Probert that season was that the season he got arrested at customs?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Wow. I started watching the Wings faithfully around '86 and I don't even remember some of those names.

They also added Jimmy Carson that season in a painful trade that sent Adam Graves, Joe Murphy, and Petr Klima to Edmonton. Carson never lived up to expectations and they lost a great young player in Graves.

That year was a young Sean Burr before Wings fans seemed to turn on him. He would hit anybody and usually crushed them. Ran his mouth constantly too but in ways that were mostly amusing.

The goalie wars prior to that year were Hanlon or Stefan (I was a Hanlon guy). Then Cheveldae came along and a goaltender carousel started until the Osgood era.

Carson had some serious knee issues pop up, didn't he? Just eyeballing his numbers now and the start of his career he was insanely productive.

And for some reason I remember being a fan of Dave Barr. I still don't understand why.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
He was just like-able lol

61QXOxpuLOL.jpg

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I remember having that exact card in my Wings card folder.

As for the actual roster performance, I'm too youthful and beautiful to remember such things.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Carson had some serious knee issues pop up, didn't he? Just eyeballing his numbers now and the start of his career he was insanely productive.

And for some reason I remember being a fan of Dave Barr. I still don't understand why.

Carson basically lost interest in the game and left early for a successful career in business or law. I don't remember exactly which off the top of my head.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
1989-90 season

Burr-Yzerman-Barr
Robertson-Chabot-Shank
Adams-Habscheid-Kocur

Chiasson-Zombo
Houda-O'Connell
Norwood-Salming

Hanlon
Chevaldae

Discuss.
Wow, memories.

Was Federko part of the deal that sent Adam Oates to the Blues? I was so disappointed when they shipped that guy out. He could pass with his eyes closed.

But yeah, younger fans should try to YouTube Yzerman's early years. The guy was an offensive force to be reckoned with. Would've been a worldwide sensation if it weren't for some guys named Gretzky and Lemieux. ;)

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Wow, memories.

Was Federko part of the deal that sent Adam Oates to the Blues? I was so disappointed when they shipped that guy out. He could pass with his eyes closed.

But yeah, younger fans should try to YouTube Yzerman's early years. The guy was an offensive force to be reckoned with. Would've been a worldwide sensation if it weren't for some guys named Gretzky and Lemieux. ;)

WORST trade in DRW history

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
That team was a lot more fun on paper than this year's version, which will likely miss the playoffs.

I'd pay to see Yzerman or Kocur any night.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
WORST trade in DRW history

Never speak of that trade! A dark day in Wings history. I was so pissed.

I still am actually.

That team was a lot more fun on paper than this year's version, which will likely miss the playoffs.

I'd pay to see Yzerman or Kocur any night.

Burr and Gallant were fun to watch too.

It might have been the infamous fight where Maguire went after Yzerman but I still remember Lee Norwood being on the bench fighting desperately to get onto the ice. Several teammates and an assistant coach trying to hold him back as his sweater was completely stretched out, half his body was out the gate.

one and the same.

Once a Red Wings always a Red Wings where Kenny is concerned!

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Wasn't Carson part of the Coffey trade a couple of years later?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Wasn't Carson part of the Coffey trade a couple of years later?
Kudos! In 1993, Detroit traded Jimmy Carson, Mark Potvin, and Gary Shuchuk to LA, in exchange for Paul Coffey, Sylvain Couturier, and Jim Hiller.

Then in 1996, Coffey and Keith Primeau were dealt to Hartford - yes, kids, the Carolina Hurricanes used to be the Hartford Whalers - in exchange for Brian Glynn and Brendan Shanahan.

But the kicker I just learned, is how LA got Coffey in the first place. In 1992 they received him from Pittsburgh, in exchange for a 1st rounder, plus Brian Benning, and...

Jeff Chychrun.

As in, the father of Jakob Chychrun, who the Wings dealt to Phoenix this summer with the Datsyuk cap hit. Small world.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Kudos! In 1993, Detroit traded Jimmy Carson, Mark Potvin, and Gary Shuchuk to LA, in exchange for Paul Coffey, Sylvain Couturier, and Jim Hiller.

Then in 1996, Coffey and Keith Primeau were dealt to Hartford - yes, kids, the Carolina Hurricanes used to be the Hartford Whalers - in exchange for Brian Glynn and Brendan Shanahan.

But the kicker I just learned, is how LA got Coffey in the first place. In 1992 they received him from Pittsburgh, in exchange for a 1st rounder, Brian Benning, and...

Jeff Chychrun.

As in, the father of Jakob Chychrun, who the Wings dealt to Phoenix this summer with the Datsyuk cap hit. Small world.

Who starred in a movie with KEVIN BACON!

Man, didn't think I'd get to say that twice today.

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
I was 12 and had a Probert jersey. I was embarrassed when he went through his whole drug/jail thing so I had a nameplate made with my last name and sewed it over the "Probert".

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I was 12 and had a Probert jersey. I was embarrassed when he went through his whole drug/jail thing so I had a nameplate made with my last name and sewed it over the "Probert".

Does anyone remember the "Give Blood, Fight Probert" t-shirts that were around back then? I had one and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Yeah, we all hit an age we learn our sports heroes maybe aren't the best role models. My favorite was when Ed Belfour got arrested and offered a $1 billion dollar bribe to the cops.

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
Does anyone remember the "Give Blood, Fight Probert" t-shirts that were around back then? I had one and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Yeah, we all hit an age we learn our sports heroes maybe aren't the best role models. My favorite was when Ed Belfour got arrested and offered a $1 billion dollar bribe to the cops.

:laugh: I remember that. I also remember those shirts. I bought the "Bruise Brothers" one with him and Kocur's caricatures instead.

DaGoose

Jul 22, 2015
I wasn't even alive. I'm 25, the Wings streak is 25. This streak is kind of personal to me lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00