Speculation: The Wings lead the league in 'sadness'

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Not sure how informative this is if the difference between a team like St. Louis and Detroit is only 11%.

Reactions: Frk It

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Haven't seen this around, but it's a little bit grim. Detroit leads the league in terms of chance of missing the playoffs and not picking in the top 5. I mean, games are easier to watch now, but this feels bad.

Sadness? That's one way they can spin it. Means we're climbing outta the basement but not reached above ground level, nor penthouse yet.

Thanks for this post, always love data/stats/charts.

Capture.PNG

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's measured by The No Man's Land Of Mediocrity Bubble units. Don't question the math.

It's science. :cool:

View attachment 485523

I guess that's what I mean. Look at that cluster. It's grouping together teams like the Wings and teams that could legitimately make playoff noise. To have any statistical relevance here you need to be surefire making the playoffs or painfully awful. And we've seen, first hand, being painfully awful is no guarantee of anything.

So just keep building and let things sort out where they sort out. No sadness here.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Wings gonna have to repeat the free car thing with puppies just to balance things out

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The league doesnt care about helping the teams at the bottom with this trash lottery system, so whatever.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
eventually the wings are going to be at that point where they are not bottom dwellers. it's part of the rebuild process. believe in the yzerplan. it's working so far

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
If Raymond/Seider continue to develop and perform as they are, that's like winning the lottery twice anyways. At that point it's on the GM to find ways to fill out the roster. I'm not worried about the chance of making the playoff vs. getting first overall ratio as you would expect them to be in that position as the rebuild progresses. I didn't expect them to be at this point for a few more years.

Add a legit top-six C and another defenseman to this team and they are in the middle of the playoff pack.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Not making the playoffs and not picking top 5 is not a great metric. Wings finished dead last and still lost the lottery and that needs to factor in somehow. Missing the playoffs on an upswing by a handful of games is different then being 4th from last and still not getting a top 5 pick. Or finishing dead last and still not getting a top 3.

I really think the size of the F.U. that personifies might be more mass than the universe can actually contain. But that is only theoretical

2014 holland apologists: rebuild reshmild let's extended the streak!!!

2019 holland apologists: oh wait.....

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
eventually the wings are going to be at that point where they are not bottom dwellers. it's part of the rebuild process. believe in the yzerplan. it's working so far

I trust the yzerplan but I am also pragmatic enough to recognize that our window will open up without the top 3 talent that other teams will enjoy by not having gotten f$#%#d in the lottery.

I would say a little more angry than sad about certain things. But actually quite happy that the team has fully committed to a rebuild and the players that are starting to show up.

Reactions: FMichael

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Even if "the sadness corridor" was locked in, I don't see the relevance.

We've already seen pretty strong evidence that the current front office can draft impact players without a top 3 pick. And it's not as if they'll stop pursuing roster improvements - including a top 2 center - if they no longer draft near the top (let alone win the lottery).

Regardless of the ping pong balls, I expect each season to be better than the last until this franchise is in the playoffs and competing for a championship(s).

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
If Raymond/Seider continue to develop and perform as they are, that's like winning the lottery twice anyways. At that point it's on the GM to find ways to fill out the roster. I'm not worried about the chance of making the playoff vs. getting first overall ratio as you would expect them to be in that position as the rebuild progresses. I didn't expect them to be at this point for a few more years.

Add a legit top-six C and another defenseman to this team and they are in the middle of the playoff pack.

It is, and looking at the 2019 draft the two guys that notably move way up the charts are Seider and Zegras who I think go #1 and #2 in a redraft currently. Byram, Hughes and Dach round out that top 5.

Then looking at Raymond's progress this season, and Edvinsson doing so well in the SHL it's like hitting a top 2 pick 3 years in a row. Not too shabby.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad