The Wings just had their lowest scoring since since 1976...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was surprised when a recent article mentioned he finished last season with 7 goals and 5 assists in his final 21 games of the year. That's not setting the world on fire, but it was a stronger offensive finish than I remember. If he can become more consistent in terms of putting that skill set to use, and have the requisite offensive talent on his line, I can see him scoring 45 points this season. That's pretty darn good for a 2-way 3rd line center.

I thought he was considerably better in the 2nd half of the season. Not just on the stat sheet, but how he looked overall on the ice.

I could see 40-45 points from him (eventually), probably somewhat of a 2nd/3rd line tweener. Needs to get better at faceoffs though, if he is going to continue at center.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think our back end significantly cripples our ability to score a lot more, as been said. The forwards we acquired aren't wizards, right now we're trying to build forgetting about the foundation.

The PP could still find ways to work, however.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Sheahan has some impressive offensive talent. I just think he's too focused on being a reliable defensive center, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but I would like to see more production from him. 40 pts. this season is reasonable. I think he has potential for 50 pts. w/ PP time.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Looks like Scoring really is the biggest problem, because statistically, there isn't anything really wrong on our possession game. We did start 2nd most from offensive zone at last season (and 2nd least from DefZone) after league-leading Los Angeles.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/teamstats.php?disp=1&db=201516&sit=5v5&sort=OZPCT&sortdir=DESC

But they could just not score. And power-play was our biggest issue.

I don't think we have a lot of good finishers. And I think some of the guys with good finishing ability don't shoot enough.

Really bad point shots too.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Keeping AA and Mantha on the bench or in GR is the recipe for more of the same **** we saw last year. I don't think the coach will survive a bad start in the new barn. AA can score amazing goals and you play him 7-8 minutes ? It's the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a sport full of dumb stuff.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Looks like Scoring really is the biggest problem, because statistically, there isn't anything really wrong on our possession game. We did start 2nd most from offensive zone at last season (and 2nd least from DefZone) after league-leading Los Angeles.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/teamstats.php?disp=1&db=201516&sit=5v5&sort=OZPCT&sortdir=DESC

But they could just not score. And power-play was our biggest issue.

I think this was partly due to roster balance and usage. Tatar is frustrating as hell, but he gets shots on net. Nyquist needs the right linemates or he just defers all the time, and gets clogged up with no space. The demise of Franzen hit him hard. Hank's shot has gone to the great rink in the sky, and he needs to be utilised in a more overtly playmaking role. Trying to drape guys on his back to barrel into shooting positions a) doesn't work anymore, b) kills his season by February and c)is a waste of time given the quality of his shot.

Vanek should help a lot, simply because the guy hits the net and scores at a higher % than anyone else on our roster.

Agree that the PP was a major issue, especially for limiting Green and Nyquist.

As for the earlier point about Abby, I think last year he was a legit top 6 forward. His offensive game and shooting have come on a lot, and he is at least consistent in both effort and intent.

On the more general issue, I think we won't miss Dats as much as people fear. He's a genius and our smartest forward, but he doesn't mesh that well with some of our other options. I think he'd have been pretty good with Vanek, but he was almost the biggest point booster for players nearly as sneaky smart as him whilst also being physical presences. Our players on the whole are either decent size or smart, but not often both...

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
When management thinks there is no one in the lineup better than Abby and Helm it screams of a severe lack of talent on the roster. Abby is where the puck goes for offense to die he is not a top 6 player he is an above average grinder. Just beacause Zetterberg and Daytsuk padded his stats by bouncing pucks off of him into the net doesn't make him top 6 talent.

At 5v5, Abdelkader had more goals, more assists, more points, and a better G/60, A/60, firstA/60, and P/60 than the guy who padded his stats. In like 150 less minutes too.

The puck died on Zetterberg's stick last year. His "go to move" was to skate slowly around the perimeter and shield the puck until he got physically knocked off the puck.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I think this was partly due to roster balance and usage. Tatar is frustrating as hell, but he gets shots on net. Nyquist needs the right linemates or he just defers all the time, and gets clogged up with no space. The demise of Franzen hit him hard. Hank's shot has gone to the great rink in the sky, and he needs to be utilised in a more overtly playmaking role. Trying to drape guys on his back to barrel into shooting positions a) doesn't work anymore, b) kills his season by February and c)is a waste of time given the quality of his shot.

Vanek should help a lot, simply because the guy hits the net and scores at a higher % than anyone else on our roster.

Agree that the PP was a major issue, especially for limiting Green and Nyquist.

As for the earlier point about Abby, I think last year he was a legit top 6 forward. His offensive game and shooting have come on a lot, and he is at least consistent in both effort and intent.

On the more general issue, I think we won't miss Dats as much as people fear. He's a genius and our smartest forward, but he doesn't mesh that well with some of our other options. I think he'd have been pretty good with Vanek, but he was almost the biggest point booster for players nearly as sneaky smart as him whilst also being physical presences. Our players on the whole are either decent size or smart, but not often both...

In a vaacum I like the Vanek signing. After they signed Helm, and then Vanek, and Nielsen...I was annoyed that they tied that much money up in forwards. Then came Ott.

I was wondering after all that...who is going to give these forwards the puck?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Take a look at last years TOI per game. Scroll down the list. The names near the top aren't really that good at scoring these days.

Kronwall - busted knee, who knows?
DeKeyser - Limited offense
Green - He's still good, this is nice
Quincey (gone = more minutes for Smith?)
Datsyuk - Bye, Felicia! Nielsen inserts here.
Zetterberg - Slowing down. Still good vision and puck control.
Ericsson - No offense here.
Abdelkader - He screens the goalie and bangs in 2 footers. Doesn't generate own offense.
Smith - Really hoping he steps up, but so far, meh.
Marchenko - Limited offense I think.
Larkin - WILDCARD! Could put up 40 points. Could put up 70.
Sheahan - Needs to score more. Not because he's bad if he doesn't ,but because look at the rest of the guys.
Nyquist - Look how far down one of our best scoring wingers is on this list. If he's not on the ice more, how can he generate offense?
Helm - Stone hands Helm to the resuce
Richards - Bye, Felicia! Vanek goes here. Should help, I hope.
Glendening - He's hard to play against, I hear.
Tatar - Another purely offensive player getting minutes after Helm, Glendening, Abby...
Miller - Won't score from the PK.
Mantha - Won't score from Grand Rapids.
Pulkkinen - Giving us the cold shoulder.
Jurco - Does he even get ice this year?
Andersson - Sweden is a beautiful country.
AA - Did too much scoring from the 4th line, needs more seasoning.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
Either we don't have enough talent to score/compete or it's misuse with what we have...I think it's the latter. I think this team can score more.

Offense:

Nyquist - based on what I saw on the PP early on...he needs the be fed in the slot

Zetterberg - slowing down but he's was tops in the league in assists last 2 seasons for a time til falling off at the end...

Larkin - he needs to transition to be our #1 center. by far the player I'm most excited about. If he can become a 60-70pt center then we can build around him.

Tatar and AA need to be set free & given more ice time to score goals.

Abdelkader and Vanek need to be utilized as screens...Mantha too if they don't bury him in GR. These are the players you use for those roles. Vanek still has the hands.

Defense: it's been abysmal last few seasons...funny how we have 3 1st round draft picks in our defense and yet...

Green - had a decent season but I feel he could be utilized better. He has a cannon.....and I thought he was the PMD we needed? Is it Blash's system that's the problem?
Dekeyser - Our best dman currently....put him with Green
Kronwall - declining...the Zetterberg of our defense..
Smith - what does he need to do to take the next step? Can he be a 2nd pairing offensive dman?
Marchenko - decent bottom pairing dman
Ericsson - Big Body otherwise get that contract off our books

Is it correct to say Green and Smith are our best puck moving dman? Kronwall if he can rebound?

I hope Cholowski is our next true #1 dman.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
At 5v5, Abdelkader had more goals, more assists, more points, and a better G/60, A/60, firstA/60, and P/60 than the guy who padded his stats. In like 150 less minutes too.

The puck died on Zetterberg's stick last year. His "go to move" was to skate slowly around the perimeter and shield the puck until he got physically knocked off the puck.

True enough for last season, but Abby became know as a scorer when he played with Zetts and Dayts before age took their talents. Any player of Abby's caliber is going to put up numbers when he gets the team's prime ice time. He is still a glorified grinder. On a legit team he would not be in a top 6 role. He is not in the top 6 because he is the best option, he is in the top 6 because they feel there is no other option.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Take a look at last years TOI per game. Scroll down the list. The names near the top aren't really that good at scoring these days.

You can't combine icetime of forwards and defense to try and make a point. It lacks context.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You can't combine icetime of forwards and defense to try and make a point. It lacks context.

The context is as follows: Guys near the top of the list see more ice. If the guys near the top of that list aren't great scorers, then your team probably isn't scoring much. More minutes to guys who can't produce goals means less goals. And that bears out perfectly because, as the title informs us, the Wings struggled scoring.

So for example, let's take a look at the NHL leading Dallas Stars. More goals per game than any other franchise last year. Here's the top 10 in ice time, including their shutdown defenders.

Goligoski - 37
Klingberg - 37
Demers - 16
Oduya - 21
Benn - 89
Seguin - 73
Sharp - 55
Spezza - 63
Eakin - 35
Other Benn - 12

Total: 438 points

Kronwall - 26
DeKeyser - 20
Green - 35
Quincey - 11
Datsyuk - 49
Zetterberg - 50
Ericsson - 15
Abdelkader - 42
Smith - 15
Marchenko - 11
And you know what? Since Quincey missed half the year, let's include Larkin at #11, too. Add 45 bonus points!

Total: 319 points. Even adding an 11th player.

The guys on the ice the most generally need to score the most. Otherwise what the hell are you doing, just blocking shots all game?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

He has a good shot, he just never uses it. Also is a pretty good stickhandler. Throws some really nice saucer passes too.

He has a sneaky good skill set, he's just *very* inconsistent. He was a 1st rounder for a reason.

I've been pushing for him to be moved to the wing for a few years now. As a center he just doesn't have the drive to be an offensive force. I think if you removed some of that defensive responsibility and allowed him to focus more on his offense he would absolutlely destroy Abby's production as a scoring line winger. He could potentially be a consistent 20+ goal scorer on the wing. The biggest problem though is that he just doesn't have the motivation to be a scorer. I think there's a chance that might change if he was on the wing rather than playing center.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Yep. Anyone who saw the last few years of Bert in Detroit can tell you Z is a carbon copy of his play. Only he weighs close to 40 pounds less and is 3 inches shorter. This ain't gonna improve, not with a guy who has a wonky back and will be 36 at the start of the season.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Yep. Anyone who saw the last few years of Bert in Detroit can tell you Z is a carbon copy of his play. Only he weighs close to 40 pounds less and is 3 inches shorter. This ain't gonna improve, not with a guy who has a wonky back and will be 36 at the start of the season.

I think the fact that Z occasionally uses 2 hands on his stick puts him miles ahead of Bert

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I was surprised when a recent article mentioned he finished last season with 7 goals and 5 assists in his final 21 games of the year. That's not setting the world on fire, but it was a stronger offensive finish than I remember. If he can become more consistent in terms of putting that skill set to use, and have the requisite offensive talent on his line, I can see him scoring 45 points this season. That's pretty darn good for a 2-way 3rd line center.

Riley was snakebit like crazy last season. Very low on-ice sh%. Things turned around for him a bit at the end, definitely think he can be a 40+ point player next year.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Sheahan scored 10 of his 25 points in the final 19 games of the season, the last two months. He was just not able to produce prior to that much at all. Helm was actually fairly Darren Helm-like all season, save for the first two months where I think he was kind of lacking a solid role. Bump his point total in October + November to what he was averaging per month the rest of the season and he is pretty much on par with his performance the year prior.

Looking at Helms stats alone it kind of makes me cringe at the fact that he is being paid so much the next half a decade. Crazy. People used to complain about Franzen being paid but then not being as productive as they want... Helm is paid more and he has never produced offensively. Hopefully 2016-17 is a big year for him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Looking at Helms stats alone it kind of makes me cringe at the fact that he is being paid so much the next half a decade. Crazy. People used to complain about Franzen being paid but then not being as productive as they want... Helm is paid more and he has never produced offensively. Hopefully 2016-17 is a big year for him.

Why should every salary be based on point production?

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Why should every salary be based on point production?

IDK about everyone, but i expect a minimum of 40 points if you are making almost four million dollars a year.

You don't give out that kind of term and cap hit for intangibles. Especially when the team that signs him struggles to generate any offense.

Helm's contract is actually worse than Gator's which is incredible considering how bad Gator's contract is. At least Gator has put up two 40+ point seasons. Helm's best season saw him put up 33 points and that was with him riding Datsyuk's coat tails.

19 million dollars for a soon to be 30 year old 33 point center with hands that look like they belonged to "The Thing" from Fantastic 4.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad