Post-Game Talk: The Wings did Ott lose

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Gave up 1 goal on 37 shots. Thats not solid. Thats a stolen game.
I was shocked when I looked at the shotclock and saw Vancouver had 20 shots. At that point it felt like they didn't have a single scoring chance. It was a less dominating performance than I would have hoped for against a team like that, but at no point did I feel like we didn't deserve to be in the lead.

I'm worried it's serious. I'm gutted right now.
He got up and skated for a bit, which is a good sign.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Yeah do not get people celebrating this style of "win". If anything, just shows that against the worst team in the NHL, we needed a couple of lucky bounces to get ahead.
What do you mean lucky bounces? I thought the 1st goal was exactly how we have to score. It was 4 shots before Larkin scored. Nyquist 2 shots, Z 1 and then easy tap in for Larkin. I remember 2-3 games ago exactly the same situation where Z tried to pass to Tatar and we did not score. We did not even get a shot on goal,like here we got 2 shots and the goal.
That is exactly what I think we have to do more. Those kind of shots really count, not those beautiful plays where they look good but we do not score. If we play more like this we won't make other goalies look better than hasek and Roy combined.
2nd, no idea if miller saw it or not. It went through him, might happen it was a soft one.
3rd another perfect goal I want to see more of. Deflection just like glenny's goal the other night.

I disagree with some of this. The Sedins haven't been a threat for years and an asinine choice for VAN in 2013-14, 7 million each. Lucky their contracts end in 2018. Ryan Miller was relevant 5 years ago. The Canucks are in shambles. Their 1st ten minutes was hilariously weak. Did you see Toronto dismantle them? It was an elite display. The sickest playmaking developing into surreal chances/shots. They skated circles around Vancouver and yeah I expect the Wings to do the same or better.

There are matchups that turn into a clog-fest but not all. On a good night if you catch the right game it will be high quality. For me this includes successful passes, plays, shots, chances, intense battles, great goaltending- basically an inspiring display of hockey skills.

I agree with the opinion I've read at HF the Wings tend to play down or up depending on their opponent, this may have been the case. I'm annoyed because I know the Red Wings are better than this. As Blashill said we started realgud, then got sloppy for over 3/4 of the game. Too many turnovers, giveaways, just weak and stupid/goofy decision-making. The Wings can be much better and they better be Saturday night. :D
Whether you win 10-0 or 2-1 it is still 2 points. But if you play 110% every night, by the 30-40 games into the season we will have the lineup of griffins and by game 60-70 I lineup would like only our prospects where other teams would beat us 10/20-0 every night.
Is that your dream?
Two goal win while looking pedestrian against what might be the worst team in the league.

Start planning the Cup parade!

P.S: Howard is playing for his career, really in the zone atm. Should pump up his trade valhe nicely.

If you run too fast to much to early, you will never come to the finish line.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I wasn't able to watch the entire game, but from what I was able to see I don't remember feeling like Vancouver was ever really dictating the play. We gave up too many shots and there is always an inherent danger there that the law averages will bite us, but I thought we were playing well.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I wasn't able to watch the entire game, but from what I was able to see I don't remember feeling like Vancouver was ever really dictating the play. We gave up too many shots and there is always an inherent danger there that the law averages will bite us, but I thought we were playing well.

I disagree with this. Many people thin that the shots matter,they do, but not nearly as they did in 80s and 90s.
Today the teams play so great defence that goalies easily stop 30+ shots. They see the puck they stop 95% of those shots.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I disagree with this. Many people thin that the shots matter,they do, but not nearly as they did in 80s and 90s.
Today the teams play so great defence that goalies easily stop 30+ shots. They see the puck they stop 95% of those shots.

Even at 95% you're looking at likely two goals on thirty shots (28/30 is actually .933). And goalies aren't going to see all 30+ shots, Howard doesn't have a clear view on all of his shots. Sooner or later, luck will go against you, the puck will take a funny hop, go off a skate, etc., and then we're tied 2-2 or losing 2-1.

edit: should also point out that we're not giving up 30 shots, we're averaging 33/34 shots while taking less than 30 (28-ish?) of our own. It's a recipe to be burned.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I think Mrazek is the goalie of the Wings future but is it really so hard for some people to acknowledge that Howard has played great so far this season?

If Petr was playing like this there'd be Vezina contender threads.

Glad for the win. The Wings need to win ugly like this this season.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
That was the most harmless 37 shot game I've ever seen. People are overreacting to it.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Even at 95% you're looking at likely two goals on thirty shots (28/30 is actually .933). And goalies aren't going to see all 30+ shots, Howard doesn't have a clear view on all of his shots. Sooner or later, luck will go against you, the puck will take a funny hop, go off a skate, etc., and then we're tied 2-2 or losing 2-1.

edit: should also point out that we're not giving up 30 shots, we're averaging 33/34 shots while taking less than 30 (28-ish?) of our own. It's a recipe to be burned.

When Hasek had SV .920-930 people thought it was unbelievable. Now we have 16 goalies with .920 or better.
The goalies stop more shots more than in the 90s and definitely much more than in the 80s.

Back to team. We started the season like this,last year too, even worse when it come to shots differential. But we approved after a little while. Limiting scoring chances is the key.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I think Mrazek is the goalie of the Wings future but is it really so hard for some people to acknowledge that Howard has played great so far this season?

If Petr was playing like this there'd be Vezina contender threads.

Glad for the win. The Wings need to win ugly like this this season.

Where do you see that? Nobody says anything bad about Howard.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Where do you see that? Nobody says anything bad about Howard.

I never said people were saying anything bad about Howard.

He's off to a great start this season and it's mostly met with ho-hum or downplaying his performance. He's been a major part of the Wings success so far. If he falters and Mrazek doesn't step it up, it's gonna get ugly.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

So true. Yes most the shots were fairly harmless but a couple zinged off Howie's shoulder, blocker etc. Those shots into skates and traffic...can easily bounce the wrong way. Credit to Howard for making the saves look easy; a lesser goaltender is possibly a different result.

No overreacting, folks are discussing subtle details. Moving on I'm looking forward to Saturday and next week: Montreal, Washington, and Tampa! Some good looking opponents right there am curious how the Wings size up. I can see us winning...or losing miserably. Never know with this club.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
When Hasek had SV .920-930 people thought it was unbelievable. Now we have 16 goalies with .920 or better.
The goalies stop more shots more than in the 90s and definitely much more than in the 80s.

Back to team. We started the season like this,last year too, even worse when it come to shots differential. But we approved after a little while. Limiting scoring chances is the key.

no one is saying that goalies aren't good. The point is that regardless of how good a goalie is, the moment his save percentage slips from .1000 you're looking at roughly one goal every 10-12 shots, which the Wings are giving up in spades.

Which is why their shot suppression has to get better because, eventually, those odds are going to catch up.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
So true. Yes most the shots were fairly harmless but a couple zinged off Howie's shoulder, blocker etc. Those shots into skates and traffic...can easily bounce the wrong way. Credit to Howard for making the saves look easy; a lesser goaltender is possibly a different result.

No overreacting, folks are discussing subtle details. Moving on I'm looking forward to Saturday and next week: Montreal, Washington, and Tampa! Some good looking opponents right there am curious how the Wings size up. I can see us winning...or losing miserably. Never know with this club.

I'd say the 1-0 loss to Boston when Jimmy had that one bounce off his pad was exactly the type of goal you guys are talking about..lol

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Sloppy win vs a bad team. Howard with another solid performance.
Canucks beat rangers even though they played a game a night before.
Two goal win while looking pedestrian against what might be the worst team in the league.

Start planning the Cup parade!

P.S: Howard is playing for his career, really in the zone atm. Should pump up his trade valhe nicely.
See above, they beat rangers.
I never said people were saying anything bad about Howard.

He's off to a great start this season and it's mostly met with ho-hum or downplaying his performance. He's been a major part of the Wings success so far. If he falters and Mrazek doesn't step it up, it's gonna get ugly.

I think the goaltending will be our strength.

Howard plays great. This is due to several reasons. But watch his closely, he is not only good and lucky, he is über confident making those saves. His body can't handle 60 games, but 30-50 is just what the doctor ordered.

Mrazek has some problems, but that is typical when a goalie takes over #1, the pressure kicks in. He also signed a big deal, that is some distraction too. He will settle down in 10-15 games. We are fortunate Howard is playing out of his mind, this gives blashill time to work in Mrazek.

We have a veteran goalie who played great in his early career and we have a young talented goalie who has shown sings of greatness.
Give them 5-15 games and they might turn out to be the cornerstone of this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad