Post-Game Talk: The Wings did Ott lose

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Don't really know how to feel. Winning is always great. But that''s not the way that I had in mind, tbh. Outshot badly and an obvious drop in their performance after the first... On another note: Good for Jimmy to keep his confidence going and happy for Otter who netted his first. Hope AA's injury isn't too bad.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Can you win and lose at the same time? Man 1/2 the players on this team... :huh::facepalm: Not a real fun game to witness. Against a broken opponent we couldn't make simple plays to get off a good shot, which is the entire purpose of the sport. Sometimes our guys are just too soft they don't want to blast the puck. Scattered hockey like a mini-mites game I agree with Blashill- Red Wings have to be much better.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
:facepalm: Wings win by 2 goals, people still complain. /facepalm

Yeah including Blashill and Osgood. Hey if u like watching this quality hockey then more power. I thought it was an ugly game and it gets to the point I can barely stand watching players like Abdelkader, spazz-boy Tatar, Kronwall, etc. **** up the ice. The Blackhawks/ Blues game Wednesday was 5 times as skilled hockey. Each unto their own.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Yeah do not get people celebrating this style of "win". If anything, just shows that against the worst team in the NHL, we needed a couple of lucky bounces to get ahead.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Sounds like a good win. But AA goin down? **** I hope he's ok. Team can't stay healthy for worth a ****.

Do we even need to bother watching Sat? We know how that game is gonna end up. I'd be happy to steal a point though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Yeah do not get people celebrating this style of "win". If anything, just shows that against the worst team in the NHL, we needed a couple of lucky bounces to get ahead.

I get Vancouver isn't playing well right now and haven't been since the start of the season, but it's not like their team is full of junk players. Sedins are still dangerous, Miller can still make saves, etc. They aren't going to roll over every game. They beat the Rangers two nights ago in MSG. This isn't an expansion team. In a league where there truly are no "bad" teams, I think it's unreasonable to expect any team, especially one that is considered to be above average in Detroit, to come out and dominate for 60 minutes straight.

I'd argue the majority of games in the NHL mirror what you saw tonight. Two teams playing dump and chase hockey, blocking shots, turn overs in the neutral zone, low penalty calls, blind shots from the point with a guy in front hoping for a garbage goal. This is the NHL today.

Here's what Alexandre Burrows said after beating the Rangers (emphasis mine). "I thought we played the right way. We did a lot of good things defensively. We pressured a really good team, a fast team. We stayed on the 'D' side and we made some really good plays, good reads. That's how you win in this game, by playing the right way on the road or at home."

Gone are the days of the Russian Five where the puck would be moved up and down the ice with wizardry. Fancy plays get you yelled at by your coach. You get a spot on the bench if you create a turnover so better make the safe play and play "the right way." I don't know, I guess what I'm saying is the overall NHL product is stale to watch. The most exciting moment of the game was Ryan Miller diving across the ice to save an empty-net goal. Think about that.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm worried it's serious. I'm gutted right now.

It didn't look that bad. Slight knee-on-knee but Mickey said it could be a bruised muscle, the way Tryamkin's knee hit Athanasiou's thigh. I saw the big guy stick his leg out on another body check the league better watch for that. Knee on knee is the worst type of penalty that can easily end a players career.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
... I don't know, I guess what I'm saying is the overall NHL product is stale to watch. The most exciting moment of the game was Ryan Miller diving across the ice to save an empty-net goal. Think about that.

I disagree with some of this. The Sedins haven't been a threat for years and an asinine choice for VAN in 2013-14, 7 million each. Lucky their contracts end in 2018. Ryan Miller was relevant 5 years ago. The Canucks are in shambles. Their 1st ten minutes was hilariously weak. Did you see Toronto dismantle them? It was an elite display. The sickest playmaking developing into surreal chances/shots. They skated circles around Vancouver and yeah I expect the Wings to do the same or better.

There are matchups that turn into a clog-fest but not all. On a good night if you catch the right game it will be high quality. For me this includes successful passes, plays, shots, chances, intense battles, great goaltending- basically an inspiring display of hockey skills.

I agree with the opinion I've read at HF the Wings tend to play down or up depending on their opponent, this may have been the case. I'm annoyed because I know the Red Wings are better than this. As Blashill said we started realgud, then got sloppy for over 3/4 of the game. Too many turnovers, giveaways, just weak and stupid/goofy decision-making. The Wings can be much better and they better be Saturday night. :D

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
:facepalm: Wings win by 2 goals, people still complain. /facepalm

Two goal win while looking pedestrian against what might be the worst team in the league.

Start planning the Cup parade!

P.S: Howard is playing for his career, really in the zone atm. Should pump up his trade valhe nicely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad