Post-Game Talk: The Wings are full blown in the season of giving

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
But he is responsible for the awful line combinations, TOI distribution, and inability for this team to exit the zone before mishandling or turning the puck over 3x, which is a problem with their defensive and transition systems that he coaches them to follow in practice

Not really...

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Already into mid December and nobody is double digits in goals yet unlike every other team has at least one guy. :laugh:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Quality chances were 22-11 for Red Wings... :facepalm:

It was our best hockey at this season, when you count those stupid fumbles out. Mrázek lost this for us. and Bobrovsky was phenomenal.

I hope they can let this behind, and keep this team effort. This kind of hockey on long run leads to wins. They played great. I'm pissed off, but still, they played that kind of hockey I like to watch.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
@ Dotter, he had way better games, but just as promised some time stamps of positive plays by Gus throughout the game:

1st

8:28: Playing the puck into the free space between two opponent players --> set up for Sheahan
8:47: Nice no look pass to Vanek, no set up of a scoring chance though

2nd

3:55: Good defensive play in the DZ after Z’s give away
19:12: Good positioning while Vanek & Sheahan battle for the puck along the boards --> fast forwarding the puck to Green in a good position --> puck’s coming back to him around 10 seconds later: Good puck protection against two opponents & nice play along the boards, setting up a one-timer (for DDK, I guess) --> Shot leads to a rebound, which isn't buried --> Gus back in defense mode once C’bus gain possession again (not preventing the pass though)

3rd

Starting around 6:30 into period: attracting attention of several C’bus players after getting the puck in the OZ & setting up Vanek nicely

Wings had some problems tonight, Gus wasn't one of them.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I wonder when the Luke Glendening playing in the top 6 for 15+ minutes a game experiment is going to end. So ridiculous.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
On the 2nd goal, why the hell was Dekeyser randomly bear hugging a guy in the corner instead of, ya know, helping prevent a goal?

What was he trying to accomplish? The puck was nowhere near them

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
On the 2nd goal, why the hell was Dekeyser randomly bear hugging a guy in the corner instead of, ya know, helping prevent a goal?

What was he trying to accomplish? The puck was nowhere near them

Just DeKeyser being DeKeyser, nothing to see here.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Good try? What? I'm actually shocked he got so much ice time tonight, but doesn't answer the question as to why he's centering the third line. Soooo IMO he deserves more than Riley IE playing on 2nd line. Plus, without looking at numbers, I'd doubt he's averaging that many min this year, one game sample size doesn't fit the bill. Nice try tho ;)

That is our second line bud. Vanek-Sheahan-Nyquist is technically the third line. And he outplays Sheahan in minutes every night.

Edit: I know Sheahan is playing a lil more now but Frans is averaging nearly 4 minutes more a night on the season, so there's that.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ok, well, a new coach isn't going to enlighten all these players to play better hockey. I think the team is playing about as good as it's going to get. They actually played a good game tonight so I don't get why the "Fire Blashill" crowd is coming out.

Same in here. We played good tonight, I wonder where does this blame come from.

Mike Green was on the ice for 7/9 Blue Jackets first Quality Scoring chances, btw...

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Seeing the second goal the puck was under Mrazek a very long time . That should have been frozen.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I wonder when the Luke Glendening playing in the top 6 for 15+ minutes a game experiment is going to end. So ridiculous.

I wonder when the constant line changing is going to end. We're the only team in the league that messes with line combos all the time.

*in the summer blash said that was a mistake last year and he needs to keep the lines constant to develope chemistry...

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Same in here. We played good tonight, I wonder where does this blame come from.

The blame comes from what alone could be seen in the final minutes, when having pulled the goalie. Considering those personal decisions, no surprise that we never tie a game up late.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I wonder when the constant line changing is going to end. We're the only team in the league that messes with line combos all the time.

*in the summer blash said that was a mistake last year and he needs to keep the lines constant to develope chemistry...

I'm note quite sure if you're defending keeping Luke in the top 6 so we don't mess with the lines again? If that's what you are trying to say, my response is that he never should have been there to begin with.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Seeing the second goal the puck was under Mrazek a very long time . That should have been frozen.

So we woulda lost 3-1 instead. But something should have stopped play since there was a wrestling match going on in the corner with Ott and 3 other players.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
We prolly would have won if Glendening got a couple more minutes out there. He needs more ice time.

Zetterberg needs to have his C stripped, and given to Luke Glendening. Glendening is a Hart trophy candidate as far as I'm concerned. He's up there with Howe and Yzerman as best Wing of all time.

More TOI for LGD.

Also seeing Sheahan with almost 17 minutes is infuriating. I'm getting real sick of complaining about ice time and line combinations. Why can't Blashill see what everybody else sees? Sheahan has no business playing this much, he has literally done nothing offensively to help the team in 28 games.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Quality chances were 22-11 for Red Wings... :facepalm:

It was our best hockey at this season, when you count those stupid fumbles out. Mrázek lost this for us. and Bobrovsky was phenomenal.

I hope they can let this behind, and keep this team effort. This kind of hockey on long run leads to wins. They played great. I'm pissed off, but still, they played that kind of hockey I like to watch.

Yes it really was! To think it was tied 1-1 until halfway through. This may be one of I'm guessing only 3 times the Wings out shot an opponent? Very hard passes and excellent skating, for such a middling team the Wings were great. Textbook shutdown 3rd period from the Jackets they neutralized everything.

I agree with many of the post-game comments:

Tatar has been bad but this performance was awful. In no world should he be on that line with Z and Mantha. The fact he thinks the plays he tries will work, dude is insane.

Mantha getting better each game, taking over at times. In the 3rd he forechecked on a play and exploded with speed that was unreal. It's amazing how little belief mangement has that our young players can be this good, again and again. AM has arrived.

Yeah Green scored on as usual, but when you play 24:00 nightly the chances for goals against increase. We know he is isn't perfect defensively. Ericsson out is a blow to our D core hope he's not gone for long.

Some of Blashill's decisions of TOI were reasonable- AA somehow got 14 minutes while Ott and Jurco only 7 and 8. Sheahan and Glendening with over 17:00 I'd agree that was self-defeating and annoying to watch.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I will take that effort, unfortunate they couldn't bury more chances but Bob deserves a lot of credit for that. Sometimes you get beat while playing very well, that was actually the case last night in my opinion.

I hope they can repeat this effort more often.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Already into mid December and nobody is double digits in goals yet unlike every other team has at least one guy. :laugh:

Blash coached most of these guys in Grand Rapids they said. He'd know how to turn us into an offensive juggernaut they said. Not quite sure what the "Get rid of the trash and hire Blash crowd" saw. Many guys had the worst year of production in their careers last year and it looks like it's getting worse this year. :shakehead

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Blash coached most of these guys in Grand Rapids they said. He'd know how to turn us into an offensive juggernaut they said. Not quite sure what the "Get rid of the trash and hire Blash crowd" saw. Many guys had the worst year of production in their careers last year and it looks like it's getting worse this year. :shakehead

No one thought that Blashill would just be a Babcock clone and make the same mistakes he did.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
To be fair they did play well just had no luck and had all the breaks go against them. Happens.
We outplayed the hottest team and goalie in the league. But we lost.
Sheahan and Tatar are both so terrible scratch them please.
Agree. They need to sit for a game or 2. Tatar has to simplify his game.
I'm still baffled that they didn't blow the whistle on the stoppage by Mrazek, thought it was a good job by him to prevent a rebound chance. That kinda messed with the momentum I suppose.

Why didn't they? What are the rules about it.

Mantha looks great. I like just about everything he does.

I did not expect to win this game. The blue jackets are a top 3/5 team in the league now. They are red hot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad