"The Winchester Rifle" Conor Sheary

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
There is no crow to eat. I don't think people understand what that means. When he was struggling, he couldn't get the puck deep or get a shot off. He was then paired on the wings with Wilson and started getting comfortable and awesome.

His progression has been amazing and everyone in WBS who watched him said he was this type of player. He just really struggled adjusting at first. That happens to so many players. Kuhn was another one that really sucked at first.

Yep, I was convinced that Rust was going to be the best of the crop but Kuhnhackl and Sheary have both come on real fast. Sheary is real good at pressuring players on the forecheck and seems to have that elusiveness needed to be effective on the cycle at his size. Kuhnhackl just seems to always make the right play and he's actually got decent speed, looks like he might end up a 3rd liner rather than just a 12th forward who PKs.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
It's so weird to have a group of young, homegrown guys in the lineup who are actually contributing. I honestly can't remember the last time we had a bunch like Sheary, Rust, Kuhnhackl, Wilson, Pouliot (when he gets in heh). Before the X-Gen years?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
This thread is an interesting read. Not seeing who was right or wrong but reading the different assessments posted throughout. Not just skill, strength, etc but things like using a contract on him and actually giving him a shot in the NHL.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
When I saw him play and with his battle level to go with his skill level separated him from the Gibbon's comparison. Sheary doesn't get knocked over at the slightest breeze.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
This isn't even a bad thread, unless my ignore list blocked the crazy stuff it's all pretty reasonable. Sheary also definitely went through an ugly period before he figured things out and we're lucky the Pens didn't turn on him for it.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
This isn't even a bad thread, unless my ignore list blocked the crazy stuff it's all pretty reasonable. Sheary also definitely went through an ugly period before he figured things out and we're lucky the Pens didn't turn on him for it.

Does anyone remember that Players tribune article talking about Datsyuk when he first came up? Coaches tend to never give a guy who isn't optimum sized a real shot and after a couple mistakes or non earth shattering shifts, bury them and never give them another look. The pens may have lucked out by Sullivan having knowledge of Sheary and Kunhackl and the other YounG'uns because they got extended looks and time to work out at the NHL level

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I bet you Sheary would even tell people he was an AHL player when he first came up. He really really struggled getting the puck deep. I give a lot of the credit to Wilson. That's finally when Sheary felt at home and felt like himself. Those two wrecked some serious havoc for a couple games, if not weeks. That's when I thought we should keep those two together for a long time.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
It's so weird to have a group of young, homegrown guys in the lineup who are actually contributing. I honestly can't remember the last time we had a bunch like Sheary, Rust, Kuhnhackl, Wilson, Pouliot (when he gets in heh). Before the X-Gen years?

Yeah we went from none to several. Just goes to show it really does take a few years sometimes for these guys to show up and to be patient for it. Although admittedly we probably couldn't brought a couple of them in a little sooner. Not much though.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Damn old thread.
We need to update the thread title though to Kingslayer

If he keeps this up mini Crosby has a place in Pittsburgh for some time

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

Oh my my my. The idea of Sheary not just becoming a regular but turning into another Tyler Johnson is just too good. And at this point, there doesn't seem to be any reason he can't get to that level becuase he has the ingredients needed.

-The team plays to his strengths now
-He has this undrafted/too small chip on his shoulder that, so far, has given him the drive to work his ass off and prove himself. Its the same hymn sheet on him from every commentator when we're on NBC.
-When he's slotted onto the same line as the best player in the world, he doesn't just look the part, he has thrived and made the line better (admittedly, the guy he replaced was bringing it down most games)

Anyway, its just pretty thrilling to see this guy. I haven't followed him since his WBS days like many people here, but to see a guy making it against the odds handed to him is awesome. And to know he is one of 4/5 young guys who have helped remake this team (none of whom besides Murray are blue chippers) is just awesome.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Such a big (no pun) difference in Sheary between his game when he was called up earlier until now. Earlier in the year he couldn't stay on his feet. Really curious as to what his workout regiment was.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Such a big (no pun) difference in Sheary between his game when he was called up earlier until now. Earlier in the year he couldn't stay on his feet. Really curious as to what his workout regiment was.

Nothing to do with workouts. He just learned how to leverage his body against NHL defensemen. In the AHL he was so quick he rarely dealt with getting pinned. He did a good job of learning how to slither out of being pinned along the boards.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I also like the description "magical midget" that someone used in the post-game thread :laugh:

Crosby and Mini Me show.

Dr-Evil-and-Mini-Me.jpg

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I didn't think Sheary was anything more than AHL fodder when he was originally called up. I was cautiously optimistic with guys like Kuhn and Sundqvist, and thought Rust was gonna be a really good bottom-6 guy, but Sheary (and Wilson) were guys I essentially had as afterthoughts.

He's playing great right now. He's clicked very well with Sid/Hornqvist, so much so that Kunitz shouldn't ever see a shift with them again. I am over the moon with Sheary recently, but I'm still not sure he's the best we can do as a long-term option in the top-6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad