The whole story: What Jeremy Roenick REALLY said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
cleduc said:
The Courier Post & the Philly Inquirer reported apologies but they were half hearted while Roenick was trying to cover it over with the "out of context" smoke.

If you saw the ESPN and other American coverage of the interview, you might agree. Well, you wouldn't, but most would.

cleduc said:
When the original stories broke, they were headlining Roenick saying the NHLPA were getting a worse deal than in February. At the bottom of the article was the "kiss my ass quote". The "jealous/don't come to the games" quote wasn't even in the original articles (see the first Sportsnet article for example).

Last I checked, Sportsnet is a Canadian based company that Roenick probably can't even find on his dish. TSN showed more of the interview also, but again, nothing he could find on his dish. I would assume you don't have a dish and saw the ESPN coverage of it, because I did, and they didn't show much other than comments that would create a buzz.

cleduc said:
So the media didn't seem to lead with the anti-fan rant at the outset. The original videos were also quite lengthy covering much of what Roenick had to say and didn't focus on his anti-fan remarks.

Not where he lives, and not in the coverage he would have seen.

cleduc said:
It seemed, rightly or wrongly, that when the fans started to read the article/see the video and reacted to the "kiss my ass" quote within the context of all the other things Roenick said as presented in the original articles and videos that the media shifted it's focus more to the fan insulting remarks. The media then went back and updated the articles/video for more of the fan insulting material and focused more on that.

Actually, a lot of focus shifted to his positive comments. Get a dish already.

cleduc said:
Roenick knows how the media works and he delivered very quotable material bringing this on himself.

Roenick spoke the truth. Sorry if the media wants to turn it around, but the game needs guys like him. Sorry if you like guys who say the same boring thing day after day, and bring no excitement or interest to the game.

cleduc said:
From what I've seen of the media, he has been fairly treated.

LOL... I do not think you are the best judge considering your history and lask of objectivity when it comes to JR.

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
cleduc said:
As for "jealous", that's another feeling that isn't a prerequisite to being a hockey fan. For some and probably most of us, no amount of money is worth going through life behaving or thinking as JR has. JR has some mental issues. He's a few bricks short of a full load.

Yeah right. You are not jealous of the money and lifestyle of and NHL player? I am, and for good reason. I would rather the life he has with his hot wife, multi million dollar home that was on "Lifestyles", have his sense of humour, play a game I love for a living, getting the summers off and having the financial freedom he has. You appear to be a bitter, lonely person who for some reason rips everything he does. You seem to be obsessed, which is worse than jealous.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Juicer said:
Yeah right. You are not jealous of the money and lifestyle of and NHL player? I am, and for good reason. I would rather the life he has with his hot wife, multi million dollar home that was on "Lifestyles", have his sense of humour, play a game I love for a living, getting the summers off and having the financial freedom he has. You appear to be a bitter, lonely person who for some reason rips everything he does. You seem to be obsessed, which is worse than jealous.
I agree it would be nice to be an NHLer but i sure as hell don't waste much of my time wishing i was one. I accept i will never be and enjoy watching the games instead. Who are you to decide if one should be jealous or not? Maybe we don't care about his hot wife or lifestyles house. I do not care one bit about Jeremy Roenick, never have and never will. Right now the NHL needs their players for good promotion and perhaps when the league gets back to normal we can have press conferences for players that need to rip the fans. The media will even promise to give it scant coverage so there will be little backlash. Hell some feel that this spouting off is "good" for the game, much better than your everyday player who puts his workday in and wants to answer a few questions so he can go home quietly to his family. Sprinkling in yahoos is great promotion. I can see the NHL giving the go ahead for a Mike Danton " hitman" bobblehead day complete with toy cellphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad