Podcast (Audio) The White Whale - the Mike Gillis Interview

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
what an enjoyable listen.

how anyone can dislike this guy is beyond me - there is an element of 'continued learning / learning from mistakes' in almost every point of discussion he makes.
I’ve met Gillis many times. It’s extremely easy to dislike him. Dick head

mratch19

Jul 27, 2010
Vancouver
It's always a pleasure to hear Mike Gillis' thought process, he is an absolute genius in hockey. He answered some key questions too on why he hasn't had a job in hockey yet and if he would consider coming back to Vancouver.

Thanks for sharing! He's very well spoken, which is a bit contrasting to, ummm... the Canucks current guy. Love that he values analytics and the current science in sports! It's such an important aspect and lends great support to scouting, free agency and building a team. He appears to be quite progressive in his thinking. And his willingness to still "take a call" from the team is awesome :), seems like a pretty interesting person.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Based on how he what he wants to do when he can be a GM but needs 4 assistant GMs to handle the day to day while he focuses on performance and sports science.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Just listened to the whole thing. Not a lot of new information really. It really sounds like he wants more of a CEO type of job where he can conduct operations the way he wants. Which is why a lot of NHL teams have turned him down.

His best shot was Seattle where there was no structure at all, but they went OBC.

He's more than comfortable sitting in Vancouver, since he's in no rush. But that's not how things are in hockey. Fired GMs get scout jobs, or advisors, and stay in the game.

He did admit to not handling the media well.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
My impression of Gillis is that he lacks the people skills to lead an organization. He has a lot of progressive ideas and I think he'd be good as a consultant.
Disagree.

He got the entire 2011 core signed for peanuts.

And the 2011 core are smart people. See Bieksa.

He's got people skills.

He just doesn't have yes man skills.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Disagree.

He got the entire 2011 core signed for peanuts.

And the 2011 core are/were smart people. See Bieksa.

He's got people skills.

He just doesn't have yes man skills.

Didn't Gilman negotiate those contracts?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
He's more than comfortable sitting in Vancouver, since he's in no rush. But that's not how things are in hockey. Fired GMs get scout jobs, or advisors, and stay in the game.

He did admit to not handling the media well.

Agreed, he can sit on his hands and knees waiting for the perfect opportunity to come along but he thinks he’s better than being a scout, advisor, etc

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
historically, gillis is not a pundit. he only does media for a reason. last round was to try and get back into hockey with another team. that didn't work.

this time it looks like he is basically gunning for benning's job talking about what he would do if he had it.

to me that's very bad form in any business. i cannot imagine any other gm candidate openly musing about how he'd run another team where a guy still had a job.

i guess gillis thinks benning is still on thin ice. his last chance in hockey now seems to be that the aquafamily will turn to him if and when benning goes. it's not a bad gambit, as he has name recognition here and i think they will not be able to get anyone else in hockey who has options. so maybe they deserve each other.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Agreed, he can sit on his hands and knees waiting for the perfect opportunity to come along but he thinks he’s better than being a scout, advisor, etc

And that's why he's not getting any of these GM jobs out there, despite all the interviews.

He really did luck into the Canucks job where Frankie let him do anything, and gave him an unlimited budget. Ain't no team in the NHL is going to that now, with no revenue this year.

Reactions: mossey3535

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
historically, gillis is not a pundit. he only does media for a reason. last round was to try and get back into hockey with another team. that didn't work.

this time it looks like he is basically gunning for benning's job talking about what he would do if he had it.

to me that's very bad form in any business. i cannot imagine any other gm candidate openly musing about how he'd run another team where a guy still had a job.

i guess gillis thinks benning is still on thin ice. his last chance in hockey now seems to be that the aquafamily will turn to him if and when benning goes. it's not a bad gambit, as he has name recognition here and i think they will not be able to get anyone else in hockey who has options. so maybe they deserve each other.

who cares. benning should be shot out of a cannon into space to make room for gillis. was a joke that he was ever even fired.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
And that's why he's not getting any of these GM jobs out there, despite all the interviews.

He really did luck into the Canucks job where Frankie let him do anything, and gave him an unlimited budget. Ain't no team in the NHL is going to that now, with no revenue this year.

Aquaman gave him his first NHL front office job, he hasn’t gotten any others since.

Reactions: Bubbles

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
who cares. benning should be shot out of a cannon into space to make room for gillis. was a joke that he was ever even fired.

Fired thanks in part to our very knowledgeable fanbase. I don't see how anyone can listen to him speak and say "this guy's schmuck". Some sad people out there I guess maybe like a GM that relates more to their own 'expertise' on hockey ops.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

If Gillis thinks he’s gonna get the GM job again in Vancouver, he may have some competition. There are some other candidates out there that are qualified and do have connections. Hell, Luongo is primed to being groomed for a GM job.

Reactions: Bubbles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad