The WHA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

15+17=Cup

Jul 14, 2004
19bruins19 said:
I don't see Thornton, Kovalchuk, Bertuzzi, Heatly, Gomez, Richards, Gomez, Gagne, playing for the WHA unless there is a lockout.

I don't see Kovalchuk or Thornton playing for the WHA period. Thornton already signed with a team in the Swiss league, didn't he? I don't know if he'll go to the WHA either way. But there is a good possibility of a lockout, so I could see maybe Gagne, Gomez and maybe Richards there. Maybe Bertuzzi will play there if his suspension in the NHL goes into next year.

FINNtastic

Apr 24, 2004
eddy said:
Looks like halifax went with another safe pick there with Tamer.
Anyone know how many rounds there are?

Teams will draft 30 players on Saturday. Each franchise has already identified a player with exempt status in the draft.

On Sunday, July 18, teams will draft 30 Entry Level Players. Players undrafted in the past 3 years or drafted but unsigned will be eligible. Sixteen year old players who will be 17 prior to the start of the WHA season will also be eligible.

(quote from http://www.worldhockeyassociation.net/news/media_releases/media_071404.htm )

So I guess 30+30=60 rounds(?!) Correct me if I'm wrong...

Vic Rattlehead*

15+17=Cup said:
I don't see Kovalchuk or Thornton playing for the WHA period. Thornton already signed with a team in the Swiss league, didn't he? I don't know if he'll go to the WHA either way. But there is a good possibility of a lockout, so I could see maybe Gagne, Gomez and maybe Richards there. Maybe Bertuzzi will play there if his suspension in the NHL goes into next year.
Thats why I said unless there is a lockout ;)

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Wow, could I ever see myself not caring about this league at all.

15+17=Cup

Jul 14, 2004
ROUND 4

25 Florida Jamie Rivers D
26 Dallas Steve Kelly LW
27 Founders' franchise Tommy Albelin D
28 Toronto Josh Holden C
29 Hamilton Trent Hunter RW
30 Detroit Chris Nielsen C
31 Halifax Jeff Finley D
32 Québec Stéphane Veilleux LW

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
FINNtastic said:
Teams will draft 30 players on Saturday. Each franchise has already identified a player with exempt status in the draft.

On Sunday, July 18, teams will draft 30 Entry Level Players. Players undrafted in the past 3 years or drafted but unsigned will be eligible. Sixteen year old players who will be 17 prior to the start of the WHA season will also be eligible.

(quote from http://www.worldhockeyassociation.net/news/media_releases/media_071404.htm )

So I guess 30+30=60 rounds(?!) Correct me if I'm wrong...

Ok thanks!

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Fifth Round Selection Pos. 2003-04 Club
33. Québec Eric Messier D Florida (NHL)
34. Halifax Steve Passmore G Chicago (NHL)
35. Detroit Steve Kariya LW Albany (AHL)
36. Hamilton Bryan Marchment D Toronto (NHL)
37. Toronto Jonathan Cheechoo RW San Jose (NHL)
38. Founders' franchise Shaun Van Allen C Ottawa (NHL)
39. Dallas Blake Sloan RW Dallas (NHL)
40. Florida Ben Clymer RW Tampa Bay (NHL

Vic Rattlehead*

Predatore said:
Fifth Round Selection Pos. 2003-04 Club
33. Québec Eric Messier D Florida (NHL)
34. Halifax Steve Passmore G Chicago (NHL)
35. Detroit Steve Kariya LW Albany (AHL)
36. Hamilton Bryan Marchment D Toronto (NHL)
37. Toronto Jonathan Cheechoo RW San Jose (NHL)
38. Founders' franchise Shaun Van Allen C Ottawa (NHL)
39. Dallas Blake Sloan RW Dallas (NHL)
40. Florida Ben Clymer RW Tampa Bay (NHL
Toronto could have possibly three wasted picks in Thornton, Kovalchuk, and Cheechoo.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm almost positive that Steve Kariya plays for Bridgeport, not Albany. He's Paul's younger brother.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Now why the hell did anyone pick Tommy Albelin AND Lyle Odelein? They are both like thousands of years old.

15+17=Cup

Jul 14, 2004
Riddarn said:
Now why the hell did anyone pick Tommy Albelin AND Lyle Odelein? They are both like thousands of years old.

Because that way there's a good chance that they won't be in the NHL and will play in the WHA.

ROUND 6
41 Florida Sean Avery C/LW
42 Dallas Pavel Rosa RW
43 Founders' franchise Jiri Slegr D
44 Toronto Brad May LW
45 Hamilton Rod Zaunner C/LW
46 Detroit Patrick DesRochers G
47 Halifax Glen Metropolit RW
48 Québec Joel Bouchard D

CoolburnIsGone

19bruins19 said:
The Florida team will be Miami I believe. http://www.worldhockeyassociation.net/teams.htm
I don't understand how it could be located in Miami. The 2 arenas in Miami are Miami Arena and American Airlines Arena. Now the American Airlines Arena is designed for basketball and will probably not convert that for hockey at all. The other arena was scheduled to be sold and demolished so that the Florida Marlins could get a baseball stadium built (money used from the sale and whatever was being put towards financing the stadium). Miami had a WHA2 team and there wasn't much support for it. With Shaq now in Miami, hockey is south FL is now going to struggle to compete for fans against championship contenders in the other 3 sports (defending champion Marlins, perennial Super Bowl favorites Dolphins, & now the Heat with Shaq).

I know they said they were trying to get a team in Orlando then broke off negotiations then started again then said they've given up on Orlando. Jacksonville was also the other possible location that the WHA was considering at one time. It could be either of those cities too.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Sideshow Bob said:
Who is Rod Zaunner? There's absolutely nothing on this guy ANYWHERE...do they mean Rob Zamuner, maybe?

They have actually Zamuner written, 15+17=Cup made the mistake.

15+17=Cup

Jul 14, 2004
Actually, they have it written "Zaunner" on the detroit gladiators site, and I didn't pick it up until after I posted that. But it is Rob Zamuner.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
15+17=Cup said:
Actually, they have it written "Zaunner" on the detroit gladiators site, and I didn't pick it up until after I posted that. But it is Rob Zamuner.

Sorry for what I said, on the WHA website they have it as Rob Zamuner

15+17=Cup

Jul 14, 2004
Round 7

49 Québec Simon Gamache C
50 Halifax Jeff Hamilton C
51 Detroit Alexandre Perezhogin RW
52 Hamilton Tom Fitzgerald C
53 Toronto Peter Schaefer LW
54 Founders' franchise Jarrod Skalde C
55 Dallas Brian Muir D
56 Florida Nikos Dimitrakos RW

I say good one for Detroit, if the WHA doesn't care about the AHL's suspensions then he could be playing there.

Round 8

57 Florida J.S. Aubin G
58 Dallas Tim Thomas G
59 Founders' franchise Doug Gilmour C
60 Toronto Brad Leeb RW
61 Hamilton Byron Dafoe G
62 Detroit Michael Henrich RW
63 Halifax Jason Krog C
64 Québec P.J. Stock C/LW

hockeyscribe22*

Reason for Thornton, Heatley going later

than Green. Most likely, it is known by those teams that Thornton and Heatley won't play in WHA. Obviously Thornton won't, he signed with Davos!

Tucker316*

This l;eague is never gonna take off anyways. Theree will be a season next year for the NHL, so yeah, this is pointless.
BTW, lol at quebec choosing pretty much anyone from quebec. This is why they used to always bother me. Try to make your team the best it can be, don't just go for the locals who know how to talk to your reporters. Who's the GM/owner..what a "silly man".

Last edited by a moderator:

15+17=Cup

Jul 14, 2004
Tucker316 said:
This l;eague is never gonna take off anyways. Theree will be a season next year for the NHL, so yeah, this is pointless.
BTW, lol at quebec choosing pretty much anyone from quebec. This is why they used to always bother me. Try to make your team the best it can be, don't just go for the locals who know how to talk to your reporters. Who's the GM/owner..what a dumbass.

Well actually, Quebec could be a good team because of that. They are taking mostly "safe" picks because most of their picks aren't going to do that good in the NHL anyway. This way they could have most of their players actually play, whereas teams like Toronto taking all the stars will likely have wasted their picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad