The Western Conference - Not Very Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
Ever since the Hawks and Kings... full of a bunch of prima Donna first timers who become flavor of the month, then the Final comes and you couldn’t melt them down into a pressure situation.

Full credit to the Caps. What they’ve done so far these playoffs is unreal, and they’re a deserving cup champion (yes, I’m assuming they’ve won. There’s literally been nothing in these games that shows me Vegas stands a chance). Between having the stars (Ovi, Kuzy, Backstrom), an incredibly solid D and goalie, and the Trotz System, no one was beating them this year.

However, I honestly believe you could plug half of the Eastern conference into this final and they’d win too. Tampa, The B’s, Penguins, heck even Toronto and I wonder if my Fly Guys could give them a scare.

When will the West win again? Who in that conference even can without the Hawks/Kings on top?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Ever since the Hawks and Kings... full of a bunch of prima Donna first timers who become flavor of the month, then the Final comes and you couldn’t melt them down into a pressure situation.

Full credit to the Caps. What they’ve done so far these playoffs is unreal, and they’re a deserving cup champion (yes, I’m assuming they’ve won. There’s literally been nothing in these games that shows me Vegas stands a chance). Between having the stars (Ovi, Kuzy, Backstrom), an incredibly solid D and goalie, and the Trotz System, no one was beating them this year.

However, I honestly believe you could plug half of the Eastern conference into this final and they’d win too. Tampa, The B’s, Penguins, heck even Toronto and I wonder if my Fly Guys could give them a scare.

When will the West win again? Who in that conference even can without the Hawks/Kings on top?
Do you realize that Tampa was up 2-1 on the Hawks?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Preds and Vegas may be one-hit wonders but I hardly think the West is "not very good". WPG, STL, SJS, ANA seem to always be in the mix and still all have really great teams.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I could understand this thread if it was 3-0 But it's 2-1. Game 1 Vegas outplayed Washington. Game 2 was fairly even. Game 3 Washington outplayed Vegas.

It's been a close series and a fun one to watch. This thread is more premature then a 15 year old dude with his first time.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Full credit to VGK for getting to the Final, but I think the Jets and Predators (with a competent Renne) would be doing better against the Caps.

Regardless, most of us have been predicting all season that the Knights would soon fold, yet here they are. This series is far from over.

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010
Admittedly, I am surprised by how good the Caps look this off season but Fleury carried Vegas to the finals then crumbled. If he stood on his head the first 3 games like he did previously I don't think the Caps fans would be so confident right now. I'm routing for the Caps 100% but it is still fortunate for them that it worked out that way as without Fleury Vegas is an easier opponent than Winnipeg or Nashville would have been imo.

But yes, I do think the East is stronger right now. Tampa, Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh are all contenders and Toronto may enter that realm next season too while the West really only has Winnipeg Nashville and Vegas right now who all had great seasons but Winnipeg and Vegas haven't fully proved their worth yet and there doesn't seem to be any other teams that will emerge as a powerhouse in the near future.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017

-A better question is who in the Atlantic can win? The Metro division has taken this league over with a Washington cup win. And is blowing the doors off the Central division which everyone thought was tough. The Atlantic and Pacific are so far behind. I cant decide who is worse between the 2.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
The West will win again when the notion that the West is the heavier conference dies out.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Admittedly, I am surprised by how good the Caps look this off season but Fleury carried Vegas to the finals then crumbled. If he stood on his head the first 3 games like he did previously I don't think the Caps fans would be so confident right now.

Fleury has played just fine in the finals. Maybe even very good.

Ovechkin scores after like 5 good saves. Def not a softie.

Kuznetsov puts a wrister through a tiny hole at speed from like 12 feet out. Not a softie.

DSP all alone in front, has all day to rip a wrist shot top shelf. Also not a softie.

^^^I really don't know which of these goals could have been stopped.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
The West will win again when the notion that the West is the heavier conference dies out.

-The West isnt anywhere close to being a top notch conference like Hawks and Kings fans proclaimed. There is zero parity and no one else can win. And they had the benefit of coming out of the West with 2 less teams then the East.

-If the Caps win this year, the Penguins, Caps, Devils, Rangers, Hurricanes all proved they can win a cup. The Islanders and Flyers won a bunch but that is past history. The Central Division looks grossly overrated right now too. And with Chicago in the basement for the forseeable future, it looks like the Metro, huge gap, then anyone's guess. Maybe the Central is the 2nd best division without any contenders.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Series isn't over yet. The West will win again sooner rather than later. If not Vegas this year then Nashville or Winnipeg could step up and win next yr. Edmonton's going to be good again soon. Vegas I think isn't a 1 hit wonder either.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Series isn't over yet. The West will win again sooner rather than later. If not Vegas this year then Nashville or Winnipeg could step up and win next yr. Edmonton's going to be good again soon. Vegas I think isn't a 1 hit wonder either.

-Not really. Rinne is old and chokes in the playoffs. I like the Jets but they were dominated by Vegas. They could come back next year. Vegas has to resign a bunch of player just to make the playoffs again. Edmonton is a joke.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Reminds me of a couple of posts made after game 1 of the WCF, and based on what happened after that I predict Vegas wins the next 3 games.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

Huh? you're dreamin' bud. West is still much stronger. Doesn't mean the cup is going west though (I hope it doesn't)

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
the first 3 games of the SCF does literally nothing to prove which conference is stronger. The East is still better, but not because Vegas is losing

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
West hasn't transitioned particularly well to the faster style of the league. It's still filled with slow big teams. That's part of the reason why Vegas has done so well in the west playoffs, a big speed advantage in every series. That speed advantage is gone in the finals and they look average. West was clearly better from 2005-2015, but the last 3 years have shown a dramatic shift to the east.

Reactions: BuckyDornster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad