TV: The West Wing

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
I have watched fully 3 times and on my 4th time with my wife. It is top 3 ever for me, although after Aaron Sorkin leaves/not so involved (not sure of the ins and outs of it) it does drop in quality (though not much). Top 3 TV in no order are The West Wing, Justified and...well #3 always changes.

And i just browsed the thread and did not realise people hated The Newsroom so much. I thought it was quite good.

member 51464

Nice, I had never seen it before starting it a few months ago. I am a bit over halfway through the second season. I hope the quality holds up the whole way through.

member 51464

But seriously, why do we still use the Mercator projection? haha

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It's a lengthy bump but I've started watching the series and it is a freshing to watch a political series grounded in some realism and reality. Mind you I like Scandal and House of Cards but they reality and realism is in the rear view mirror for them now.

West Wing was more idealized, as opposed to more cynical takes on politics. It was closer to reality, but, it's important to remember that it was based more on the premise of an ideal Liberal President.

I've actually wondered if this is a franchise that can brought back, but, instead of a Democrat or Republican, have it based around an independent candidate President that runs and wins on a desired candidate that falls outside the polarization and gridlock.

It would be a way to take a very different take on the show, while allowing for the occasional cameos from the original.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
funny this thread is bumped as I just decided this past weekend to start to watch it again for the 3rd time. Definitely one of my favorites. S1-3 are best 4 and 5 the worst 2 in my opinion and s 6 and 7 do get better. Some of the best writing ive ever seen on tv happened in the 1st 3 seasons

member 51464

Ok, I am assuming you aren't posting from a ship, haha. Why don't people who are mainly on land for work and play using the one that makes land more accurate?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Ok, I am assuming you aren't posting from a ship, haha. Why don't people who are mainly on land for work and play using the one that makes land more accurate?

It's not more accurate. More specifically, it's more accurate in one of those 4 ways while being less accurate in another.

In particular, the Peters projection distorts shape, especially near the poles, while preserving area.

Really though, you don't see either much anymore, being rectangular projections. The Robinson projection is much more common now.

world-robinson-projection-map.gif

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
funny this thread is bumped as I just decided this past weekend to start to watch it again for the 3rd time. Definitely one of my favorites. S1-3 are best 4 and 5 the worst 2 in my opinion and s 6 and 7 do get better. Some of the best writing ive ever seen on tv happened in the 1st 3 seasons

With 6 and 7 because they knew they were wrapping up the series--they had a point in time to write to--only hick up was John Spencer's death. A few years ago I went to symposium where John Wells was the key note speaker and when asked how Spencer's death affected how the show ended--he confirmed what everyone knew already that Vinick was supposed to win--but also he said that they had to cut one plot line where the Flash Forward at the start of the season would be paid off. When Josh Lyman ran up and was called "the man of the hour" he was called the man of the hour because Donna Moss was due to give birth. It also wrap up what happened to everyone after they left the White House

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
With 6 and 7 because they knew they were wrapping up the series--they had a point in time to write to--only hick up was John Spencer's death. A few years ago I went to symposium where John Wells was the key note speaker and when asked how Spencer's death affected how the show ended--he confirmed what everyone knew already that Vinick was supposed to win--but also he said that they had to cut one plot line where the Flash Forward at the start of the season would be paid off. When Josh Lyman ran up and was called "the man of the hour" he was called the man of the hour because Donna Moss was due to give birth. It also wrap up what happened to everyone after they left the White House

Would have loved the rumoured extra episode that would wrapped everything up. But I do think it was a great finale. They must have written a script for the episode would love to give it a read.

member 51464

Two episode left in the whole series. I definitely felt that it was a step down once Ansley Hayes and Rob Lowe left. It may have had more whimsy than realism the first few seasons, but they were much more fun. Now, what to watch when this is done :/

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Two episode left in the whole series. I definitely felt that it was a step down once Ansley Hayes and Rob Lowe left. It may have had more whimsy than realism the first few seasons, but they were much more fun. Now, what to watch when this is done :/

Sorkin left after Season 4, which is a bigger part of the step down.

Season 5 and early Season 6 is the worst part of the show (but it's still great, and there are some amazing episodes in there), the last season and a half are pretty damn good when you follow the campaigns.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Season 5 and early Season 6 is the worst part of the show (but it's still great, and there are some amazing episodes in there), the last season and a half are pretty damn good when you follow the campaigns.

Season 7 is highly underrated. Many long time fans are not with how the Toby thing played out and the actor has not helped with some of his comments over the last few years. Joshua molina has taken over the podcast on the show and awhile ago he teased that he was trying to get the original election night scripts. Sounds like the two parter was going to juxapose the bartlett election night and the Santos might

member 51464

Season 7 is highly underrated. Many long time fans are not with how the Toby thing played out and the actor has not helped with some of his comments over the last few years. Joshua molina has taken over the podcast on the show and awhile ago he teased that he was trying to get the original election night scripts. Sounds like the two parter was going to juxapose the bartlett election night and the Santos might

What has he said?

I also had no idea this show had such legs so long after going off the year.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
What has he said?

I also had no idea this show had such legs so long after going off the year.

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/164754...-coming-full-circle-with-glengarry-glen-ross/

the President "in 10 million years" as he did at the end of The West Wing.
I think he would more likely have become a mass-murdering terrorist than to do what they had him do. I think somebody had what they thought was a really good idea and didn’t ask me. Aaron would have asked me. Aaron Sorkin would’ve talked it over to see how it bounced off of the character I was creating with him, but these people didn’t consider that important. I don’t blame them at all; I’m not angry at them.

he has said other things than that

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/west-wing-trivia_us_55f1f0b8e4b002d5c078bac3

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/05/1...ium=referral&utm_campaign=pubexchange_article

8. Schiff still isn’t over being fired (and Sorkin has his back)

Schiff was never fired, of course, but Toby Ziegler was canned for leaking classified information. Schiff protested privately, and then publicly, and he’s still bummed by the decision, mostly because it didn’t seem consistent with his understanding of the character. “[In a letter to me, Sorkin] said, ‘I’ve heard what’s happening to your character [Toby was fired and faced years in prison during season 7 but ultimately was pardoned] and I’m so sorry,’†said Schiff. “And that’s how I felt: very sorry that they had chose to do what they did. They didn’t tell me in advance like Aaron and Tommy would have. Clearly they didn’t want to tell me because they were scared of my reaction to it. I would have talked them out of it because it was not in line with the six years of work that I built with that haracter. I was very, very hurt by it.â€

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I didn't like the way Toby was handled either.

I always thought a better way to do that (if you were gonna go down that path) was to have

[spoil]Toby take the fall for CJ leaking the info.[/spoil]

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA

Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda were great.

The live debate is up there as one of the best television episodes ever.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I've always disagreed that the whole Toby thing was out of character. To me, it was precisely in character. I always agreed with the way Bartlett characterized it. That it was inevitable.

And I think Richard Schiffs reaction is both a result of being too close to things and him being protective of his turf.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I've always disagreed that the whole Toby thing was out of character. To me, it was precisely in character. I always agreed with the way Bartlett characterized it. That it was inevitable.

And I think Richard Schiffs reaction is both a result of being too close to things and him being protective of his turf.

For such an uplifting show, it was just a tough way to see a character go out. Everyone else leaves on a high note. The guy who had the strongest ideals pays such a hefty price.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Allison Janney was an Emmy winning actress a decade ago on The West Wing and now she's on a Chuck Lorre CBS sitcom called Mom.....that's messed up. Sometimes TV is sad.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Allison Janney was an Emmy winning actress a decade ago on The West Wing and now she's on a Chuck Lorre CBS sitcom called Mom.....that's messed up. Sometimes TV is sad.

ya she won 2 more emmies on that sitcom called Mom. dont think shes *****ing to much about it.

she and rob lowe are basically the only 2 that had success post West Wing.

edit: forgot about Dule hill in Psych

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad