Pre-Game Talk: The week of Extinct Large Toothed Cats, and Hurricane Nicole

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Really looking forward to Bowers' debut. Will he play more than 5 mins? Unlikely. Is he any good? Hopefully but I'd bet on unlikely again. However, I think he has deserved a call up way before tonight so it's cool that he finally gets a chance. He said his parents were already in town as well so that should make it extra special for him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Joe leaves that up to C-Mac now.
giphy.gif

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Was a bit depressed today, but then realized we face Nashville, which cheered me up

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What this really says to me, in the end, the Avs are going to have a bonus carryover. Basically any bonus this year is not going to be able to applied to this year.
Man the next offseason will be something.

Most people here aren't expecting the kind of cap crunch that we are facing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Man the next offseason will be something.

Most people here aren't expecting the kind of cap crunch that we are facing.
Avs are going to have to get creative, very hardline, or the cap needs to go up at least 6+m for it not to get ugly.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Sincere question, the Avs had a lot of time to ponder the way they've structured the cap. But did they genuinely believe Newhook was the long-term answer and allowed themselves to become so cap heavy at wing that it makes it damn near impossible to solve the 2C permanently? I mean, this is kind of a big misstep, but I suppose easily enough forgiven with the Championship. It just kinda sucks right now.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Sincere question, the Avs had a lot of time to ponder the way they've structured the cap. But did they genuinely believe Newhook was the long-term answer and allowed themselves to become so cap heavy at wing that it makes it damn near impossible to solve the 2C permanently? I mean, this is kind of a big misstep, but I suppose easily enough forgiven with the Championship. It just kinda sucks right now.
Newhook was drafted as the future 2C. Him not panning out is unfortunate for the Avs. Seems like the Avs wanted to insulate him as much as possible with 92/62/13 but he just ain't it as a centre.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
They'll be fine with the cap next year.

I posted in the trade thread a roster with an $8M 2C, by trading G, and a $4M increase in cap. Bettman said it could increase $4M+.

If they find a $6M 2C or something, that makes things even easier.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Avs do need to make a move right now with key players out long term. December specially could be a make or break month for this team. They play every other day beginning December 1st ending December 31st

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Avs do need to make a move right now with key players out long term. December specially could be a make or break month for this team. They play every other day beginning December 1st ending December 31st
We can't use LTIR money to make trades, when the players come back we won't have the cap room to activate them.

They likely use LTIR now to get some wiggle room with internal moves and AHLers.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We can't use LTIR money to make trades, when the players come back we won't have the cap room to activate them.

They likely use LTIR now to get some wiggle room with internal moves and AHLers.
Yeah that's what I just posted in trade rumor thread. So then the plan is to not make any big moves at the trade deadline because they won't have cap space by using the LTIR now. I just dont get it. They used the LTIR to bring in Megna?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad