The Vortex That Is the Righthand Side of Our Roster

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Is he? I'm not so sure anymore. Regardless, I think the Oilers can sweeten the deal pretty easily to the point St Louis does it. Parayko and Shatty could suffice for a top two on the right for St Louis. The cap savings and ability to finally get a #1 center might be hard to pass up.

I watched St.Louis play Chicago a bit and Pietrangelo was amazing. He gets the puck out of the zone. Not just out like our defencemen do. You know the hail mary around the boards. But to the winger in a manner where said winger doesn't have to interrupt his stride.

That was honestly Chris Prongers greatest skill set. Get the puck in the dzone because he's smart enough and big enough to know where it's going. Then distribute it effectively.

Our team blows monkey chunks when it comes to these. Our d-men are either smart and small or fast and dumb or big and slow.

I'd trade that 1st for Pietrangelo in a heart beat. I'd add too. It would be a painful trade but a necessary one.

Still doubt St.Louis even contemplates it with Shattenkirk's pending ufa.

It's so freaking hard to get players of their Calibre damnit.

That's why we'll probably make the pick. No one gives up players like him.

Ferocian

Apr 12, 2016
Edmonton, Alberta
Fixing the oilers should be pretty darn easy and palatable even with overpayment.

If drafting at 1 -
Alex Pietrangelo for the pick.
Sign Demers UFA 4 years 24M
Draft Carter Hart at #32
Trade Yakupov for Hansen.

Overpayments but a massively improved team.

This is plausible and would actually have a chance of working.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Because of this reason, I really wonder if we see Josh Currie get a 1 year NHL/AHL deal floated his way this offseason.

I'm not a regular Bakersfield viewer, but the bits I did see, he seemed to get better and better as the season went on. He finished with as many points as Slepyshev did and seemed to play well on the PK.

Led all Bako forwards in plus minus, too.

Chase is probably on that roster full time next season with Ford reportedly looking at retirement.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I have hockey friends that have always told me I pay too much attention to which side a player shoots from.

I've been concerned for years about our right side. Every draft it seems the Oilers pick primarily lefties. For development and versatility I have always thought it a big mistake they continue to do so.

It's taken awhile to be proven "right" on this subject. Lol. But it appears the Oilers are now in dire straights for right shooting guys.
I think it is effecting our PP and faceoff match ups. I think it's a massive hole that Chiarelli is going to fill at all levels somehow.

We can't just wait and hope we land Laine or Pul. We need to balance the roster.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Pietrangelo is worth more than the pick.

I agree, but what would they want that we wouldn't want to trade?

1st Overall + any one player not named McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl, Nurse, Klefbom for Pietrangelo + small adds depending on the player the Oil add.

I would do this, even if the add on Oil side is Ebs or Nuge and the add on St Louis side is a 3rd rd Pick or a decent bottom 6er.

Ferocian

Apr 12, 2016
Edmonton, Alberta
I've been concerned for years about our right side. Every draft it seems the Oilers pick primarily lefties. For development and versatility I have always thought it a big mistake they continue to do so.

I had that reaction when they picked up Reinhart last summer. I was kind of like "hmm, fairly high price for a prospect, but they desperately need players with talent on Right Defence so good mo.... what? He's left? What were they thinking?"

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I have hockey friends that have always told me I pay too much attention to which side a player shoots from.

It's taken awhile to be proven "right" on this subject. Lol. But it appears the Oilers are now in dire straights for right shooting guys.
I think it is effecting our PP and faceoff match ups. I think it's a massive hole that Chiarelli is going to fill at all levels somehow.

We can't just wait and hope we land Laine or Pul. We need to balance the roster.

It was good to get best player available those years though. Center was our Achilles heel but now its a strength. Getting only a couple key guys can turn a perceived weakness into a strength

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's funny that Eberle is being pushed out the door when right-handed shots are so limited on the roster. But if the much talked about deal between us and NYI occurs, I suppose we use some of our available cap space to try and sign a Backes, a Brouwer, an Okposo or even a Versteeg or a Weise.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I had that reaction when they picked up Reinhart last summer. I was kind of like "hmm, fairly high price for a prospect, but they desperately need players with talent on Right Defence so good mo.... what? He's left? What were they thinking?"

Me too. Especially since I heard Reinhart played the right side. Thought he was a righty at first. Big difference.

Mr Positive: I hope we can fill that hole and I generally agree with picking best player available. Just think the hole is now to big to fill in an offseason or two.

Belair: For that exact reason I don't think we will trade Eberle. By appearance of our decimated RW, he is basically untouchable. We would have to get two of the guys you mentioned to offset his loss and we really don't have the cap space for that.

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012

1. Auston Matthews, Center, L
2. Patrik Laine, Left Wing, R
3. Jesse Puljujarvi, Right Wing, R
4. Jacob Chychrun, Left Defense, L
5. Matthew Tkachuck, Left Wing, L

I would argue that the Oilers would be better off *not* winning #1 in the lottery and winning #2 or #3 instead. Auston Matthews is the best player in the draft and conventional wisdom says to take the best player available at your draft position, even if it's a position of organizational depth. The theory is that even though you'll then need to trade one of the players at that position to another team, you've made your club overall stronger. However, recent NHL trade history has told me that you're unlikely to get fair market value when trading from a position of strength because other teams see them as an "extra" player for the organization trading them and aren't as willing to give up assets.

Meanwhile, the Oilers are already lacking skilled, physical depth on the righthand side. Patrik Laine is listed as a Left Winger but can and has played Right Wing. He could perfectly play Jordan Eberle's current job description: Right Wing at 5 on 5, left side on the powerplay. Laine is a more natural trigger man than Eberle on the powerplay, he's more of a shooter. He's also large and physical. Getting him in the draft would be ideal.

Our second best bet (some would argue first) would be Jesse Puljujarvi. He's a skilled, two way right wing that isn't as good of a shooter as Laine is but is a more well rounded player, more of a playmaker and plays a more complete game. He's physically smaller and is less of a goal scorer. He would also make a great addition to the Oilers.

Jacob Chychrun is a skilled left defenceman. He would make our defence corps better after some seasoning and physical conditioning, but it's a position at which we already have depth.

Matthew Tkachuck is a skilled left winger. Same objection as for Chychrun. One thing to note about Tkachuck is that he comes from the London Knights organization that seems to consistently produce players who come into the NHL with a professional mentality. Players drafted from that team rarely ever play below their draft position compared to their peers. Credit to the Hunter brothers for properly developing NHL talent at the junior level. If you want to see an impressive list, go to http://www.londonknights.com/article/knights-well-represented-on-nhl-opening-night-rosters . I can't help but think if Nail Yakupov had played for London instead of Sarnia, his problems with Eakins and McLellan wouldn't have happened. So, if we somehow end up being "stuck with Tkachuck", worse fates have happened.

Our Ideal Scenario

Ideally when the draft lottery happens, Toronto wins the first overall pick. This would both increase our odds of winning one of the next two picks, but also save us from ourselves with regards to picking Matthews. Ideally we win either the 2nd or the 3rd spot and select either Laine or Puljujarvi.

I think the Oilers management should wait until after the draft lottery before they consider making any trades, just to see what they have. Hopefully the lottery goes our way.

As per usual, I talk about this in my latest podcast, starting at: https://soundcloud.com/oilers-fan-podcast/april-13-2016-pre-draft-lottery-pt-1#t=6:57

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed the article.

Well you bring up some good points but you also are confusing the issue. Jesse is 6'3" and weighs in at 200lbs, whereas Patrick Laine is 6'4", 210lbs. Both 'boys' are HUGE for the Oilers so when you say "Puljujarvi" is 'physically smaller' you are insinuating to people reading your blog that he's an 'Eberle'. Very bad writing IMO - both are HUGE wingers with skill, exactly what we need.

Also, you're statement of the best case scenario is WAY off. The best case scenario is us winning the lottery, and Arizona winning the second or third slot. As we can then address TWO birds with one stone. You state we need more physicality and offensive punch from the right D? Agreed! Ever hear of Connor (who concussed RNH) Murphy? Did you know he's an RFA?

I'll bet you right here right now Arizona would give us their 2nd/3rd pick PLUS Connor Murphy for #1. THAT my friend would be the BEST CASE scenario.

Toronto winning and the mix up on the Finns......... :shakehead

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
You ALWAYS wish for Toronto to lose. Always.

Of course. No questions asked. Just hope they lose to the oilers this time.

What we can take from this is the complete lack of depth down the right side of the ice. Almost all of our players shoot left.

I would argue that the Oilers would be better off *not* winning #1 in the lottery and winning #2 or #3 instead.

Way, way, way tl:dr.

There are a couple things that are missing from this article.

What is the league average for teams, i.e LHS vs. RHS players? Any evidence that teams who are more balanced in terms of handedness have an advantage?

People get a little confused by the terminology as I think the way people shoot is misnamed. How many people do you know who do everything right handed: write, bat, golf, throw, but shoot 'left' in hockey?

It's just the way at is that the vast majority of people are right hand dominant.

Of course the Oilers are not better off losing the draft lottery.

Even if they don't want Matthews why is it not better to win the lottery, trade down and get more pieces to help the team?

If only McDavid were RHS. Then he'd be a real player. :shakehead

Ferocian

Apr 12, 2016
Edmonton, Alberta
Way, way, way tl:dr.

There are a couple things that are missing from this article.

Even if they don't want Matthews why is it not better to win the lottery, trade down and get more pieces to help the team?

So you tell me the article is way too long and that you didn't read it, and then the next thing you tell me is that things are missing from the article? You know being more thorough makes the article LONGER, right?

As for the Matthews thing, I answered that. I'm not going to bother re-explaining to someone who couldn't be bothered to read it in the first place.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
What is the league average for teams, i.e LHS vs. RHS players? Any evidence that teams who are more balanced in terms of handedness have an advantage?

It's not just balance in sheer numbers. A team with only 4 righties can be balanced if they are the right righties. A team with a 1:1 ratio can be unbalanced. For example, would you rather have

L-R-L
L-L-L
L-R-L
L-L-L

L-R
L-R
L-L

or

L-L-L
L-L-L
R-R-R
R-R-R

L-L
L-R
R-R

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
So you tell me the article is way too long and that you didn't read it, and then the next thing you tell me is that things are missing from the article? You know being more thorough makes the article LONGER, right?

As for the Matthews thing, I answered that. I'm not going to bother re-explaining to someone who couldn't be bothered to read it in the first place.

Toughen up if you're going to pass on that garbage as actual analysis.

Read the entirety of the rightie-leftie debate before my original post. Nothing I asked about was in there.

Re-read the Matthews tripe to see if it was worth it. It wasn't. Still doesn't answer my question.

"Thank you for reading" in the original post, but freak out for not kissing your arse over the weak anlaysis? Yeah, good luck being a writer.

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
In literal truth he is physically smaller than Laine. The hyperbole is your interpretation while reading it, not what I actually said.

Actually, on some sites, they are listed as the same size (go figure). Unless we go out and measure them ourselves we won't know (I'll wait till the draft combine if they are there - they should be though unless they are injured). It's just that your insinuation is off the mark. You should write "both are 'big' wingers that can help the Oilers with Laine in at 6'4" and Puljujarvi at 6'3" " and both have talent.

Anyway, I'd be more than happy if we got either one of them.

Oh, the other thing, I've seen the same things but I'm 99% positive that Laine played RW and Puljujarvi LW in the WJHC. Of course, only reference I can find for the all star team is 'forward' I don't think they categorize the wingers and I'm going by memory. He's listed as a RW (Puljujarvi) and Laine LW but I'm sure that wasn't the case. Laine was the 'trigger' man on that line and Pul was the set up guy.

Ferocian

Apr 12, 2016
Edmonton, Alberta
Re-read the Matthews tripe to see if it was worth it. It wasn't. Still doesn't answer my question.

Because in today's NHL you can't bank on getting fair trade value, so the assumption of "take the best player available and make your team overall stronger via trade" is a false assumption. I did answer that question you're just too lazy to read it.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Toughen up if you're going to pass on that garbage as actual analysis.

Read the entirety of the rightie-leftie debate before my original post. Nothing I asked about was in there.

"Thank you for reading" in the original post, but freak out for not kissing your arse over the weak anlaysis? Yeah, good luck being a writer.

Here's what you do:

Say: "I don't agree with that you've said and how you've come to your conclusions. Here are my thoughts as to why, and how I would improve upon your conclusions."

Then leave the thread.

You don't need to be an ass just because he's a blogger.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Here's what you do:

Say: "I don't agree with that you've said and how you've come to your conclusions. Here are my thoughts as to why, and how I would improve upon your conclusions."

Then leave the thread.

You don't need to be an ass just because he's a blogger.

If you take a look at my posts he hasn't addressed them. It's a pretty fundamental shortcoming for an article on leftie vs. rightie to not provide the league averages for comparison.

As for being an ass? Take a look at his responses. Sunshine and happiness begets sunshine and happiness, conversely...

Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed the post.

Last edited:

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
If you take a look at my posts he hasn't addressed them. It's a pretty fundamental shortcoming for an article on leftie vs. rightie to not provide the league averages for comparison.

As for being an ass? Take a look at his responses. Sunshine and happiness begets sunshine and happiness, conversely...

Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed the post.

I read his posts. He was abrupt and a bit harsh with you, sure. But you started by saying his post was too long, and that you didn't read it, yet you still had the audacity to comment and call him out for not being thorough.

Regardless, I probably should have stayed out of it. But saying you can be an ass just because he is, doesn't really put you in the right.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I read his posts. He was abrupt and a bit harsh with you, sure. But you started by saying his post was too long, and that you didn't read it, yet you still had the audacity to comment and call him out for not being thorough.

Regardless, I probably should have stayed out of it. But saying you can be an ass just because he is, doesn't really put you in the right.

No, it doesn't put me in the right. You are correct on that one. It wasn't my happiest set of posts.

I misstated and should have said I didn't read all of it. Is there internet short hand for that? I did make that clear in later posts. He could have gotten over it and dealt with my questions.

Instead of addressing my legitimate questions he got angry and defensive. Which is his call, but he's going to face a lot worse if he wants to grow any sort of audience for his blog.

I would guess the vast majority of players in the league are LHS. Which is why I it is a valid question.

I did get a chuckle out of his happy ending to the OP and the anger that flowed when he got pushed just a little.

The stuff about not winning the lottery was weak, as was his defence of it. The interwebs aren't all sunshine and lollipops. Bloggers/citizen journalists what have you need to learn their craft as do mainstream journalists. If people get defensive about criticism they aren't open to learning and improving. That attitude doesn't foster building an audience.

Sure you may have stayed out of it. I appreciate you jumping in as it lets me fully explain where I was coming from.

Ferocian

Apr 12, 2016
Edmonton, Alberta
I did get a chuckle out of his happy ending to the OP and the anger that flowed when he got pushed just a little.

The stuff about not winning the lottery was weak, as was his defence of it. The interwebs aren't all sunshine and lollipops. Bloggers/citizen journalists what have you need to learn their craft as do mainstream journalists. If people get defensive about criticism they aren't open to learning and improving. That attitude doesn't foster building an audience.

Sure you may have stayed out of it. I appreciate you jumping in as it lets me fully explain where I was coming from.

[mod] Someone jumping in to say "I didn't read what you said but ur wrong lol" isn't going to get the same kind of response as someone who actually bothers to read and craft a response. Effort begets effort.

You're taking laziness [mod] and trying to defend it as though you were trying to help with character building. That doesn't mean I'm not open to learning and improving, someone who comes out and the first thing they say is tl;dr and then proceeds to troll isn't setting themselves up as someone who it'd be worthwhile to learn from.

Just because I wrote an article doesn't mean I'm going to eat a turdburger and then ask for more. I'm going to be nice to people who have shown they're worth the effort. You may have your own opinions on how people should act when they're writing something and if you want to write some articles and then kiss the ass of people who don't read what you've written and then proceed to troll you, that's your choice. The only reason I'm bothering to respond to you now is because the idea that you need a thick skin when posting articles is the most cogent argument you've made. Now that I've responded to that though, if your future posts are just substanceless trolling, I'm not going to bother to respond.

Last edited by a moderator:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
[mod] Someone jumping in to say "I didn't read what you said but ur wrong lol" isn't going to get the same kind of response as someone who actually bothers to read and craft a response. Effort begets effort.

You're taking laziness [mod] and trying to defend it as though you were trying to help with character building. That doesn't mean I'm not open to learning and improving, someone who comes out and the first thing they say is tl;dr and then proceeds to troll isn't setting themselves up as someone who it'd be worthwhile to learn from.

Just because I wrote an article doesn't mean I'm going to eat a turdburger and then ask for more. I'm going to be nice to people who have shown they're worth the effort. You may have your own opinions on how people should act when they're writing something and if you want to write some articles and then kiss the ass of people who don't read what you've written and then proceed to troll you, that's your choice. The only reason I'm bothering to respond to you now is because the idea that you need a thick skin when posting articles is the most cogent argument you've made. Now that I've responded to that though, if your future posts are just substanceless trolling, I'm not going to bother to respond.

How I 'came off' is what you read into it. As I said repeatedly I have now read the entirety of your article.

Again, I did read it. A basic element of that article should have provided league stats for comparison. Ignoring that point over and over shows that you don't care about improving your craft.

Laziness? Look in the mirror. Come up with the stats. Part of wanting to be a writer is learning to use real words. Substanceless? Put the time and effort in to look up a real word. Yeah, it was an 'article' because you call it one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad