• Darnell Nurse, L
  • Griffin Reinhart, L

Right Defense

• Jordan Oesterle, L
  • Mark Fayne, R
  • Eric Gryba, R
  • Adam Pardy, L
  • Adam Clendening, R

What we can take from this is the complete lack of depth down the right side of the ice. Almost all of our players shoot left. We have the players who play the left side, who all shoot left. All of our centers except Letestu shoot left. All of our skilled players except Eberle shoot left. Someone might think that would include Yakupov because he plays right wing, but he putts from the rough. He's a left shot who plays on his off side. The lack of right-shot options might explain the continued use of Eberle on the power play despite his lack of a one-timer and all of Letestu's power play time despite him being so far behind many other Oilers in terms of skill.

Another note on this is that while Eberle is a very skilled player and produces a lot of points each season, he's not known for his ability to take pucks off of opposing players or pressure them. Nor is Yakupov. Our right side defensively seems to consist of Jordan Oesterle as the main person who's been able to do a reasonable job of stopping the opposition. I'd only peg him in terms of standard NHL quality as a #4 or #5 defenceman. Gryba and Fayne would be closer to #6 or #7, fairly standard third pairing players.

The obvious takeaway from all of this is that the righthand side of the ice is a weakness that opposing players can exploit game after game. Having a top line player like Eberle is fine as long as you have a stud defenceman behind him to keep things locked down. Not having one there means the opposition has one side of the ice that they can reliably drive up to get the puck into the attacking zone. I believe management was trying to address this problem when they picked up Zack Kassian, but his play hasn't been good enough for the most part for me to change my stance on the idea that the entire right side of the ice is a liability. That lack of right side depth is what results in a player like Justin Schultz getting 24 minutes a night and getting lit up over and over again. This has been a team weakness in my opinion since the loss of Steve Staios in 2009-2010.

I would put the Oilers roster priorities as; #1 a skilled and physical Right Defenseman. #2 a skilled and physical Right Winger. Unfortunately because of the way that our skilled centers shoot, moving one of them to the right wing wouldn't be ideal. When it comes to the notion of trading away assets in a position of strength in order to improve a position of weakness, I'd put our depth in this order in terms of quality; #1 Centers, #2 Left Wingers, #3 Left Defencemen. In terms of abundance of NHL calibre players, that would be Left Defencemen. I'd put the need of having a stronger right side as a high enough priority that it may be worth it for the Oilers to get slightly less than fair market value for the assets they trade away if it adequately addresses the areas of greatest need, with the stipulation that they don't trade away more than 1 left winger, 1 center or 2 left defensemen.

The Draft Lottery and What We Should Hope For

Because the Oilers finished in 29th place, the possible 1st round draft positions are; #1, #2, #3, #4 or #5. Any of the first 3 positions would be gained via lottery. The odds of the Oilers gaining one of the first 3 picks is worse if the Maple Leafs don't get the first overall pick. If the Maple Leafs do gain the first overall pick, the odds of the Oilers getting one of the next two picks increases significantly.

Likely Draft Choice by Draft Position

player name, position, shoots

1. Auston Matthews, Center, L
2. Patrik Laine, Left Wing, R
3. Jesse Puljujarvi, Right Wing, R
4. Jacob Chychrun, Left Defense, L
5. Matthew Tkachuck, Left Wing, L

I would argue that the Oilers would be better off *not* winning #1 in the lottery and winning #2 or #3 instead. Auston Matthews is the best player in the draft and conventional wisdom says to take the best player available at your draft position, even if it's a position of organizational depth. The theory is that even though you'll then need to trade one of the players at that position to another team, you've made your club overall stronger. However, recent NHL trade history has told me that you're unlikely to get fair market value when trading from a position of strength because other teams see them as an "extra" player for the organization trading them and aren't as willing to give up assets.

Meanwhile, the Oilers are already lacking skilled, physical depth on the righthand side. Patrik Laine is listed as a Left Winger but can and has played Right Wing. He could perfectly play Jordan Eberle's current job description: Right Wing at 5 on 5, left side on the powerplay. Laine is a more natural trigger man than Eberle on the powerplay, he's more of a shooter. He's also large and physical. Getting him in the draft would be ideal.

Our second best bet (some would argue first) would be Jesse Puljujarvi. He's a skilled, two way right wing that isn't as good of a shooter as Laine is but is a more well rounded player, more of a playmaker and plays a more complete game. He's physically smaller and is less of a goal scorer. He would also make a great addition to the Oilers.

Jacob Chychrun is a skilled left defenceman. He would make our defence corps better after some seasoning and physical conditioning, but it's a position at which we already have depth.

Matthew Tkachuck is a skilled left winger. Same objection as for Chychrun. One thing to note about Tkachuck is that he comes from the London Knights organization that seems to consistently produce players who come into the NHL with a professional mentality. Players drafted from that team rarely ever play below their draft position compared to their peers. Credit to the Hunter brothers for properly developing NHL talent at the junior level. If you want to see an impressive list, go to http://www.londonknights.com/article/knights-well-represented-on-nhl-opening-night-rosters . I can't help but think if Nail Yakupov had played for London instead of Sarnia, his problems with Eakins and McLellan wouldn't have happened. So, if we somehow end up being "stuck with Tkachuck", worse fates have happened.

Our Ideal Scenario

Ideally when the draft lottery happens, Toronto wins the first overall pick. This would both increase our odds of winning one of the next two picks, but also save us from ourselves with regards to picking Matthews. Ideally we win either the 2nd or the 3rd spot and select either Laine or Puljujarvi.

I think the Oilers management should wait until after the draft lottery before they consider making any trades, just to see what they have. Hopefully the lottery goes our way.

[mod]

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed the article.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton Oilers April 2016 Depth Chart
Ideally when the draft lottery happens, Toronto wins the first overall pick. This would both increase our odds of winning one of the next two picks, but also save us from ourselves with regards to picking Matthews. Ideally we win either the 2nd or the 3rd spot and select either Laine or Puljujarvi.

Ahh, no. Ideally the Oil win so they can either trade the first overall for a significant return OR, if they really want Laine, trade down one for another piece and still take him. Wising for TO to win is silly.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Great post. I was at a game with my little brother a month ago, he is 16 and doesn't watch a lot of hockey. He at one point asks why are there so many more left handed players on the oilers then the other team...... good question I said. He even noticed that it seemed that the oilers often made bad plays simply because every one was left.

I honestly think is a real issue. Some things in hockey are so simple, you don't want every one to be the same hand. Every one that plays hockey knows if you get every one with the same hand everything just gets messed up.

We need some right handed shots. Thats why I think you target Hammonic or even a Dan Boyle on the UFA list. Also why I think Yaks is as good as gone. He already asked for a trade, and he just shoots the wrong way.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Meh sides are overrated. It's ideal to have right shot right D and right shot right wings but it's not what's holding us back. Detroits entire team was left shots until recently. Some of the best lines in the NHL in recent years have been all left shots. You decide to keep or not to keep a player based on handedness.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Meh sides are overrated. It's ideal to have right shot right D and right shot right wings but it's not what's holding us back. Detroits entire team was left shots until recently. Some of the best lines in the NHL in recent years have been all left shots. You decide to keep or not to keep a player based on handedness.

In general I agree. There are always exceptions, and always certain players that work better. I think it is a problem when you get extreme. In this way it is sort of like Baseball. Ideally you have L,R, L,R, L,R down the entire line up. but no one cares if you aren't perfect. however, pretty much every team will never have all right line up. Eventually you need at least one left. The point is at some extreme point it does start to matter. Maybe the wings were an exception, but I think if you start to approach all left.. then a right will suddenly matter.

ps just an example of why it matters. Every powerplay in the NHL that I can think of wants a guy on the other side of the play maker to have the opposite shot. So Eberle in the case of the oilers. you want to be able to feed a one timer across. you just can't one time a puck on the off wing, not literally impossible, but just about. If it really didn't matter you wouldn't see every team in the NHL with some balance of R and L on the powerplay. It matters.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
We're better off winning the lottery and trading the pick for a really good dman for the top pairing. If we have 2nd overall I would be tempted to draft Laine unless an offer like OEL/Subban is on the table.

Ferocian

Apr 12, 2016
Edmonton, Alberta
You ALWAYS wish for Toronto to lose. Always.

haha I'm no fan of Toronto. I resent that both major Canadian sports networks are based out of there and as such we get far more Maple Leafs coverage than we should. This was supposed to be from the perspective of what's strictly best for the Oilers. My personal preference for winning the lottery would be the Winnipeg Jets. They've spent most of their years as a franchise (including when they were the Thrashers) just outside of the playoffs. Not bad enough to get a high pick and not good enough to make the playoffs or do anything if they do get there. Since a Jets win would come at the expense of the odds for the Oilers to win 2nd or 3rd though (realistically any team higher than the Oilers in the standings winning the lottery hurts the Oilers percentages, the lower the winner the better though), I can't really cheer for that from an Oilers point of view.

Ferocian

Apr 12, 2016
Edmonton, Alberta

I'd agree that it comes down to the quality of the player in a particular position more than it does what shot they are. That being said, our depth (shots regardless) on the right side of the ice is significantly weaker. The left side of the ice is about as good as anyone's in the NHL, I'd argue it's one of the best except that we don't have anyone better than a #2 or #3 defenseman (I'd lean towards slotting Klefbom in closer to #3 than #2 so far but to me he's definitely between them as far as NHL average goes). The right side on the other hand is essentially preseason roster quality. One good forward, one pretty good D, two middle-low quality forwards and then a bunch of barely-above AHL calibre plugs.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
haha I'm no fan of Toronto. I resent that both major Canadian sports networks are based out of there and as such we get far more Maple Leafs coverage than we should. This was supposed to be from the perspective of what's strictly best for the Oilers. My personal preference for winning the lottery would be the Winnipeg Jets. They've spent most of their years as a franchise (including when they were the Thrashers) just outside of the playoffs. Not bad enough to get a high pick and not good enough to make the playoffs or do anything if they do get there. Since a Jets win would come at the expense of the odds for the Oilers to win 2nd or 3rd though (realistically any team higher than the Oilers in the standings winning the lottery hurts the Oilers percentages, the lower the winner the better though), I can't really cheer for that from an Oilers point of view.

I'm lousy at math so I may be out to lunch here but I don't understand why you keep saying this.

The actual difference in odds doesn't change no matter who wins #1. Sure, if TML win, that 20% is split proportionally between the remaining teams but so would the Jet's 7.5% if they won...proportionally. So, the Leafs should win 2nd and the Oil 3rd in that scenario..and so on.
Either way, the Oilers have the same proportional difference in percentage compared to the rest of the 13 teams depending on where they finished.

That even confuses me writing it....

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I'm lousy at math so I may be out to lunch here but I don't understand why you keep saying this.

The actual difference in odds doesn't change no matter who wins #1. Sure, if TML win, that 20% is split proportionally between the remaining teams but so would the Jet's 7.5% if they won...proportionally. So, the Leafs should win 2nd and the Oil 3rd in that scenario..and so on.
Either way, the Oilers have the same proportional difference in percentage compared to the rest of the 13 teams depending on where they finished.

That even confuses me writing it....

If Toronto wins the 1st lottery, then the Oilers have the best single percentage to win 2nd. If Winnipeg wins the 1st lottery, then Toronto has the best chance to win 2nd, meaning the Oilers' chance to win 2nd has been lowered.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Chiarelli's #1 priority should be a top-four (preferably top-two) defenceman.

His #2 priority should be another top-four defenceman.

His #3 priority should be a middle-six RW if the cost and term can be kept low.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
PLD should be #5 for the Oilers if the team drafted that low. Exact type of player that forward group needs.

Fixing the oilers should be pretty darn easy and palatable even with overpayment.

If drafting at 1 -
Alex Pietrangelo for the pick.
Sign Demers UFA 4 years 24M
Draft Carter Hart at #32
Trade Yakupov for Hansen.

Overpayments but a massively improved team.

Hall McDavid Eberle
Maroon Draisaitl Kassian
Pouliot RNH Hansen
Hendricks Lander Pakarinen

Klefbom Pietrangelo
Sekera Demers
Nurse Fayne

Talbot

That's just drafting 1st. I think signing Demers at greater than market salary over a shorter term is almost a necessity.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I fear Demers is going to be like Sekera. One of if not the best free agent defencemen out there, gets his huge payday but doesn't play up to the standards he's been given. He is a "good" defenceman. We need a great defenceman. We also have the assets to make that happen.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
I fear Demers is going to be like Sekera. One of if not the best free agent defencemen out there, gets his huge payday but doesn't play up to the standards he's been given. He is a "good" defenceman. We need a great defenceman. We also have the assets to make that happen.

Sekera isnt perfect but he was still our best defencman this year.

I agree we need a really high end player but if that doesnt happen more players like Sekera isnt a bad thing.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
PLD should be #5 for the Oilers if the team drafted that low. Exact type of player that forward group needs.

Fixing the oilers should be pretty darn easy and palatable even with overpayment.

If drafting at 1 -
Alex Pietrangelo for the pick.
Sign Demers UFA 4 years 24M
Draft Carter Hart at #32
Trade Yakupov for Hansen.

Overpayments but a massively improved team.

Hall McDavid Eberle
Maroon Draisaitl Kassian
Pouliot RNH Hansen
Hendricks Lander Pakarinen

Klefbom Pietrangelo
Sekera Demers
Nurse Fayne

Talbot

That's just drafting 1st. I think signing Demers at greater than market salary over a shorter term is almost a necessity.

Pietrangelo is worth more than the pick.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Please NO. Stay away from this cancer at all cost! He would also have to learn how to skate first

Location: Montreal, so you get to see this cancer first hand lol. If Montreal trades Subban it will be one of their biggest mistakes in team history.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Not a ton of right handed Dmen with first round grades either. I think Fabbro is the highest rated.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Location: Montreal, so you get to see this cancer first hand lol. If Montreal trades Subban it will be one of their biggest mistakes in team history.

Yes I see him play often., we do not want this guy, trust me. Do you know why Gomez asked to be traded, do you know the latest dilemma with Pacioretty? His dressing room antics? Keeps tripping on his own 2 feet all the time, and its always a rut in the ice lol. Not to mention that humongous salary of his.

Funny how the Habs seem to have finally figured him out and started to realize that he could be available by July 1, meanwhile having signed Petry to a 5 year deal. That speaks volumes in itself.

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Right shot players are huge for power plays

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Yes I see him play often., we do not want this guy, trust me. Do you know why Gomez asked to be traded, do you know the latest dilemma with Pacioretty? His dressing room antics? Keeps tripping on his own 2 feet all the time, and its always a rut in the ice lol. Not to mention that humongous salary of his.

We have had MA Bergeron and Schultz ... We can live with Subban I am sure.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Pietrangelo is worth more than the pick.

Is he? I'm not so sure anymore. Regardless, I think the Oilers can sweeten the deal pretty easily to the point St Louis does it. Parayko and Shatty could suffice for a top two on the right for St Louis. The cap savings and ability to finally get a #1 center might be hard to pass up.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.

if Edmonton doesn't win the lotto, then i hope Toronto, Columbus or Carolina get it and Matthews plays in the Eastern conference. i'd hate like hell to see him in Vancouver or Calgary or even Winnipeg, where he can feast on the Oilers. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad