Post-Game Talk: The Voodoo is real Jets get Buffaloed 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Stumbly, I appreciate you understood the point I was making but do NOT presume to speak on my behalf.

I know you're a lawyer and probably slayed them in court but I rarely engage with beef jerky, and don't want someone with lots of learning and latin doing it for me.

And while I'm bitching, look up the definition of girl and woman.
My apologies.

PS: My practice was in realty, leasing, REIT, financing, etc. Never appeared in court. Iterum, mi paenitemus.

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
Jets aren't an overly fast skating team. When they are on they move the puck quickly.

I am hoping they practiced breakouts and breaking at practice today. The team needs to start moving up and down the ice as a unit again. Way too much individual play and leaving whoever the puck carrier is isolated through the nz or once they enter the zone. One thing Buffalo did exceptionally well last night was support the puck carrier.
That's Huddy defense through and through unfortunately. As in, scarmbly panic mode with no structure. It's a recipe for endless giveaways and shots against.

I was hoping Bones would have beat it out of them by now, but looks like we'll need to be super disciplined with the defence each and every practice for the rest of the season as it still seems to be lurking just under the surface.

I want the Bones defence to be the default, not this scrambly s**t.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That's Huddy defense through and through unfortunately. As in, scarmbly panic mode with no structure. It's a recipe for endless giveaways and shots against.

I was hoping Bones would have beat it out of them by now, but looks like we'll need to be super disciplined with the defence each and every practice for the rest of the season as it still seems to be lurking just under the surface.

Well almost a decade of that vs. 4 months of Bones systems. I think it's pretty understandable why they revert here and there. Going to take longer to ingrain the new stuff.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
On the Perfetti thing, Bowness specifically said they want a guy with more size along the boards vs. Perfetti. That's the idea. He likes size for its own sake.

Exactly, I don't even care if Perfetti plays in the last 5 mins, it's the fact that his answer was basically "Size lol" that makes me question him. The fact he had the same answer when it came to Stanley on compounds it. He could easily have said something about "Perfetti being a rookie, playing his off wing, wanting to keep him fresh and wanting not let Stanley sit for too long" (basically the bs Maurice would have said) and left plausible deniability. But he basically laid out his philosophy in plain language for everyone. Not sure why some are even trying to claim that's its not 100% about size.

I haven't been this disappointed by a coach's press conference since Maurice "rec league" comment a few years ago.

I don't post often, and when people say that a 6/7 D isn't important, look at this...

View attachment 642445

Stanley officially had more xGA in one game than Samberg did in his last 6 games combined. He also posted a worse xG differential than Samberg has posted in any game this season.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I had the same problem for a while. Re-enabled my adblocker. :laugh: Problem seems to have disappeared. I'm a paid sponsor so I'm not supposed to get the ads in the first place. :dunno:

Thanks for the info.

I tried removing AdBlock Plus and cleared my cookies and still got the same page popping up.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
What the hell is wrong with HF Boards!?!

I keep getting a "Disable your Ad-Blocker" even when I've disabled my Ad-Blocker.

Someone fix this.

It looks like you're using an adblocker.​

Help us keep the content you love flowing. Please whitelist us!
Disable my adblockerContinue without disabling

Ironically, I am using an adblocker (had to because of an ad freezing the browser) and get no such message :laugh:

I don't really have a lot of control over the ad stuff but my main suggestion would be to clear your browser cache and cookies. Kinda the first step for these types of problems.

I had the same problem for a while. Re-enabled my adblocker. :laugh: Problem seems to have disappeared. I'm a paid sponsor so I'm not supposed to get the ads in the first place. :dunno:

I found a fix at this link.

It's a javascript issue.

main-qimg-e663939ae5157c16ecceab6d14b5fbba-pjlq

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Our D has held up well - they do OK when they are not under constant pressure -
I don't see the issue as being all about our D forgetting how to defend -
Might be more about our offense forgetting how to shoot, pass and enter a zone without either over complicating the mission or forgetting the system.
Turnovers, either from missing the net, too fancy, or stalling at the offensive blueline, all night long, put all the pressure back on our D.

Bones wants these guys taking the high percentage option - that seems to be a hard less for some reason.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Thanks for commenting. Just a quick question: Zhamnov was before my time, was he a legit 1C? What line would prime Zhamnov play on with this Jets team?
This team is pretty stacked so he would be top 6 but I’m not sure he would be the #1 guy. Selanne and him started the same year and it was Zhamnov and Steen taking turns with Teemu. His claim to fame is the lock out shortened season (95) where he finished 3rd in league scoring. He went into the last day of the season tied with Jagr and Lindros. They each got 3 pts in their game and Zhamnov only got 1.

His lateral dekes and shiftiness were stellar. What people often refer to as the “Forsberg deke” was being done by Zhamnov long before the rangy Avs star was using it.

Back injuries and a lot of smoking shortened his career. I won’t claim he was the best by any means but he was my favourite.

In game 5 vs the Red Wings in the final playoff series of Jets 1.0, we were up 2-1 with a crazy strong Red Wings team pressing to tie. Zhamnov stopped a puck on our goal line and immediately fired it down for the empty netter to buy Winnipeg one more home game before flying south to Phoenix.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
There's a couple of theories about why teams play better with injured players out and when they come back.
It mostly has to do with mindset. Players tend to pay more attention to detail and are more focused and then you add the replacement players coming in who are pumped up to get a shot to show the team what they can do.
Then when the injured player(s) come back players tend to relax and the injured players need time to get into game speed condition.
Sports is all about being mentally prepared. You saw it last year with Helly.
What changed good Helly to bad Helly to good Helly in one year?
Hmmmm ... lets see could it be Helly was a father for the first time last season?
Same thing with DeMelo the previous year.
Why do you think players don't play when their wives are giving birth?
Just like coming off a long road trip ... hockey is not on their mind ... its family they missed them. Hockey players are humans not machines.
I posted the stats about teams coming off long road trips ... its not just the Jets.
I wasn’t talking about last night specifically. More so the last month or so.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
Exactly, I don't even care if Perfetti plays in the last 5 mins, it's the fact that his answer was basically "Size lol" that makes me question him. The fact he had the same answer when it came to Stanley on compounds it. He could easily have said something about "Perfetti being a rookie, playing his off wing, wanting to keep him fresh and wanting not let Stanley sit for too long" (basically the bs Maurice would have said) and left plausible deniability. But he basically laid out his philosophy in plain language for everyone. Not sure why some are even trying to claim that's its not 100% about size.

I haven't been this disappointed by a coach's press conference since Maurice "rec league" comment a few years ago.

Stanley officially had more xGA in one game than Samberg did in his last 6 games combined. He also posted a worse xG differential than Samberg has posted in any game this season.
The only acceptable answer would be if Perfetti was struggling or being targeted physically and you wanted to protect him, but that isn't happening, so yeah it's disappointing to hear. Maybe it's some sort of reverse psychology to get Cole to push harder in the latter parts of games? I dunno.

As for Stanley, I was hopeful for a long time, but I think it's finally time to rip the band-aid off. Stanley has immense physical gifts, however the issue is he just doesn't have the mind to play in the NHL. He just processes the game way too slowly, and it's affecting the team when he's on the ice. Whomever he is partnered with is basically tasked with covering the entire defensive zone as Stanley is routinely walked or lured out of position, or reacts far too late to make a break out pass and it's picked off, reacts too slowly to a missed pinch, etc.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Stumbly, I appreciate you understood the point I was making but do NOT presume to speak on my behalf.

I know you're a lawyer and probably slayed them in court but I rarely engage with beef jerky, and don't want someone with lots of learning and latin doing it for me.

And while I'm bitching, look up the definition of girl and woman.

And while I'm bitching, look up the de
I prefer beef cake over beef jerky. :naughty:
I hope you find the definition you want!:popcorn:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The number of times the Jets mishandled or passed the puck to the other team was astounding last night. A % of those were Buffalo doing a great job of pressuring us but a huge % we’re us just crapping the bed. It started early and continued for most of the night.

Until we get out of this PP slump I almost think they should shuffle things to create 2 more even units. PP2 got a rare goal but that doesn’t fix what’s been ailing PP1. I want Perfetti on the first unit but agree that there really isn’t anyone that you can take off. Perhaps build units based on lines 1 & 2 for a couple of games to see if they can get something working again. That way Perfetti would have some talent on his line.

Eventually hopefully they can get back to 55-81-80-27-44

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
This team is pretty stacked so he would be top 6 but I’m not sure he would be the #1 guy. Selanne and him started the same year and it was Zhamnov and Steen taking turns with Teemu. His claim to fame is the lock out shortened season (95) where he finished 3rd in league scoring. He went into the last day of the season tied with Jagr and Lindros. They each got 3 pts in their game and Zhamnov only got 1.

His lateral dekes and shiftiness were stellar. What people often refer to as the “Forsberg deke” was being done by Zhamnov long before the rangy Avs star was using it.

Back injuries and a lot of smoking shortened his career. I won’t claim he was the best by any means but he was my favourite.

In game 5 vs the Red Wings in the final playoff series of Jets 1.0, we were up 2-1 with a crazy strong Red Wings team pressing to tie. Zhamnov stopped a puck on our goal line and immediately fired it down for the empty netter to buy Winnipeg one more home game before flying south to Phoenix.
Thank you for sharing, and thanks for coming back here to share your opinions. I know it’s hard to sign in sometimes considering all the morons on this website, but it’s appreciated.

I remember Zhamnov from my NHL 02 video game from when I was a kid. I used to always pick Chicago and he was their 3C behind Michael Nylander and Steve Sullivan. Good memories.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I think a lot of fans -even when the Jets are winning- recognize the areas of the team that still need improvement and stay fairly even-keel. Having said that, it’s easy and so much fun to get swept away in that winning feeling and so nights like last night feel super disappointing. As a fan you want to believe the team is on the right track and it sucks to have that brought into question the way a game like last night’s does.
Very well said. I had low expectations of the Jets this year. A playoff round would be fine but the contender talk is what I find absurd and the fact they have won so many games they did not deserve too win. Last night they got what they deserved and it was a reality check .

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Why do you select the last 12 games? So you can point out that the Jets won only 7 of them?

Instead, I would select the last 15 games. And point out that the Jets won 10 of those.

I'm not sure why you're talking about last year's squad. I'm looking at this year's squad and I'm confident that we'll win more games than we lose. YMMV, of course.
It is great they won 10 of 15 but there are cracks showing in their game and I am not sure those cracks can be sealed. Despite the great start Minni and Col have 3 games in hand and can pull within a point and 2 points of the Jets. Therefore, uninspired efforts like last nights and several over the past 10 games lead me to conclude they are a bubble playoff team.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Back the day there would be 30 pages in the PGT, the give a shit meter on the Jets is now way down!

I think some of the posters have left, some have mellowed now that they are “vets” and don’t post in volume after a shit game or two, when one or two angry posts will suffice.

Jets 2.0 have had lots of below average seasons when we were going nowhere. We have had a few good seasons where we were playoff bound. We had 1.5 seasons where we were a contender. This season we have a:

Good team
Top 10 type season to date
We had a total horse shit game last night.

82 Games is a long slug so I’m
pacing myself. I am pretty sure we are playoff bound and after that who knows?

I admire your passion for staying cranked up enough that you can anger post 20 to 30 times GDT+PGT on a random Thursday game in January.

Honest question and I am not trying to be condescending, does it help to let it out by posting in the form? Not judging at all I am genuinely curious. I get pissed when the team loses but if I talk about it it gets worse. I need to get away as fast as possible.

My wife needs to complain when she is sick, and she likes attention (assistance)…….I need to hide from humans and remain silent. Very different approach’s.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Our D has held up well - they do OK when they are not under constant pressure -
I don't see the issue as being all about our D forgetting how to defend -
Might be more about our offense forgetting how to shoot, pass and enter a zone without either over complicating the mission or forgetting the system.
Turnovers, either from missing the net, too fancy, or stalling at the offensive blueline, all night long, put all the pressure back on our D.

Bones wants these guys taking the high percentage option - that seems to be a hard less for some reason.

What we need is more defenseman that can retrieve quickly, absorb pressure and make smart reads when moving the puck. We really only have JoMo who can do all of those things well.

The rest can do one or two of those aspects but not all three.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
What we need is more defenseman that can retrieve quickly, absorb pressure and make smart reads when moving the puck. We really only have JoMo who can do all of those things well.

Yeah - it would be great if we can add those guys.
Meanwhile, we should do what we can to reduce the opportunities we hand the opposition while we work with what we have on the blueline.

Potential

Nov 11, 2017

To this end, our body positioning on defence this past run has been pretty terrible. It's a big part of modern defending in the NHL as it literally protects the puck from the opponent, and we've been getting away from that this past while.

Hard to make a pass when the opposing forward is in your face. Box him out and you have an open lane for an effective one.

As for the offence in the Buffalo game, they were stacking 4 wide at the blue line. A dump in isn't going to work as you're going to be obstructed just enough to slow you down and let the last defender retrieve the puck before you do. In such games you need to approach the blue line with speed and make a small chip past the defender along the boards - the deep defender won't be able to stop you in time, and the players stacked on the line are usually flat-footed and can't stop you either without risking a penalty. I was hoping Ehlers would try this but he kept trying to stickhandle past the players each time and was being stopped on most entries.

Oh well, another teaching moment I suppose.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241
Nov 24, 2006

“Archie” was a good one. Maybe a tier below Scheifele but I enjoyed his style a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad