The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia; suggested books, publications, DVDs

psod

Aug 25, 2005
I've heard that the fans in Philly are particular hostile towards fans of other teams ... is there any truth to this?

I'm thinking about coming down for the Dec 27th game, but am not really keen on anyone tossing a beer at me or my pregnant wife. Do I need to worry about this? or is it all just a stereotype?

CantSeeColors

Mar 8, 2007
I've heard that the fans in Philly are particular hostile towards fans of other teams ... is there any truth to this?

I'm thinking about coming down for the Dec 27th game, but am not really keen on anyone tossing a beer at me or my pregnant wife. Do I need to worry about this? or is it all just a stereotype?
If you just come in and routinely support your team, I'd think you'll be ok. Maybe you'll get heckled a bit, but that's pretty routine, right? As long as you don't antagonize the Philly fans, they're usually mostly civil toward you.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

You'll be fine. You'll get a few things said to you, mostly in jest, but that happens everywhere. They get unruly if someone acts like an imbecile, and at that they're probably an Eagles fan anyways :sarcasm:

In my experiences, where I sit we'd usually welcome you.

psod

Aug 25, 2005
Thanks for the replies.

I think my wife and I will come down. We're not exactly the rowdy type, and know better than to antagonize the people around us. Hopefully it'll be a good game! It'll be her first time to Philly, so we might spend a couple of night there before moving on to Atlantic City, and NY for New Years.

gamera

Jan 3, 2006
Kovalchuk Army HQ
great thread, you guys. thanks!

i have a question about the neighborhood near the arena...i found a hotel on penrose ave (america's best inn; free airport shuttle is a bonus) that is <1 mi from wachovia center. just wondering if it is safe to walk around there....i'll be with a friend. we're coming up for the thrashers game in a few weeks.

thanks again

or we could always take a cab ...

rayearth

Oct 10, 2005
Probably OK if you're just going to walk down Packer to Broad. You could also stop at Chickie's & Pete's and take the Taxi Crab. :)

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
great thread, you guys. thanks!

i have a question about the neighborhood near the arena...i found a hotel on penrose ave (america's best inn; free airport shuttle is a bonus) that is <1 mi from wachovia center. just wondering if it is safe to walk around there....i'll be with a friend. we're coming up for the thrashers game in a few weeks.

thanks again

or we could always take a cab ...

That area is pretty nice.

rainrock

Mar 20, 2007
That area is pretty nice.

Thats the first time I've heard Penrose ave classified as nice.

Do yourself a favor and find a hotel downtown,in Old City or in University City.

Penrose Ave., nothing happening there at all.

Good luck

buck89

Aug 18, 2007
I'm new on board... I will visit Philly in January 2008... Where do i find NHL Trading Cards? Stores? Cards Shows?

Many thanks for your infos... The Flyers rules!!!

flyersfan97

John or GKJ can we re-sticky this? I know the Rangers used to have something like this regarding NYC, I think it would be helpful to our opposing fans as well as to those of us who don't live in the area.

Fortius

May 23, 2007
OT: Philly Hot Spots?

I'm part of a group of 8 coming from Alberta to see the Flyers/Stars game on Dec 1 and the Eagles/Seahawks game on the 2nd. We will be around Fri/Sat/Sun nights and I'm trying to figure out the can't-miss sights. I think Tony Luke's is on the schedule for Friday night, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

mikedifr

Jul 5, 2004
NJ
Club Risque :D

Seriously though, I say go to every cheesesteak place in the city and let us know which you think is best (ok, maybe not so seriously)

Are you looking for fun places, sight-seeing, both?

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
Old City(night-life, sightseeing), Walnut/Chestnut(shopping), Genos/Pats(cheese steaks) University City if your looking for a much younger crowd they have a couple good bars there. Art museum if your into that kind of stuff.

Just a few places off the top of my head. Where in location will you be? Center City? South Philly(near the stadiums)?

Fortius

May 23, 2007
Old City(night-life, sightseeing), Walnut/Chestnut(shopping), Genos/Pats(cheese steaks) University City if your looking for a much younger crowd they have a couple good bars there. Art museum if your into that kind of stuff.

Just a few places off the top of my head. Where in location will you be? Center City? South Philly(near the stadiums)?

We'll be near the stadiums (walking distance from the hotel) but don't mind taking taxis wherever we need to go. All these guys know how to drink, 27 to 40 is the age range. I'm guessing sightseeing will be limited to Saturday in the afternoon, likely around the Old City where there are pubs to drink at. (do you sense a trend with these guys?) We're all big into our hockey and football though.

Any must-see places to go to after either game?

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
We'll be near the stadiums (walking distance from the hotel) but don't mind taking taxis wherever we need to go. All these guys know how to drink, 27 to 40 is the age range. I'm guessing sightseeing will be limited to Saturday in the afternoon, likely around the Old City where there are pubs to drink at. (do you sense a trend with these guys?) We're all big into our hockey and football though.

Any must-see places to go to after either game?

Chickie's and Pete's is usually a pretty good time during and after the games its located on Packer Avenue right near the stadiums. I have lived in and right outside the city for the past 20 years so im not real sure what the must-see places are because I have probably seen them numerous amounts of times. Although Old city is real good time if you want to do some sightseeing then eat and drink for a while. Also make sure you stop at Geno's, Pat's or both. Your not far from them being right near the stadiums.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There is a growing amount of OT threads talking about the city, so I have re-stuck the thread

Fortius

May 23, 2007
This thread has just made my life much, much easier. Thank you very much for the sticky and all the info, now the question will be more like how many places can we physically get to in 3 days.

Keep letting me know any other hot spots. Thanks guys!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad