GDT: The Very Bad Flames versus the Very Loveable Kraken

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
It's like we go into a bloody prevent defense with a lead in the third perioid with the usual predictable result of doing so.

You have a serious Delphic streak.

Did you mean to capitalize Delphic? I’m trying to sort out if you’re talking about Ancient Greece or obscurity. Weirdly, they both make sense, but only in my Delphic mind.

Hocktopus

Jul 1, 2023
BC
Completely control the play in OT and cant score, Flames get one chance, game over and now the 10th lead blown! :mad:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Did you mean to capitalize Delphic? I’m trying to sort out if you’re talking about Ancient Greece or obscurity. Weirdly, they both make sense, but only in my Delphic mind.
It's the Ancient Greece bit that leads to the obscure bit, so....so...so I'm not sure why I capitalized it. Seemed a good idea at the time.

Hocktopus

Jul 1, 2023
BC
If the Kraken end up missing the playoffs by a narrow margin, they can look back at these first 20 games and all the leads that they have blown!

Third period was so frustrating because, up until the fist TV timeout at the 9 mark, they were actually keeping the puck in the Flames end and generating pressure, even though they were not getting many shots. As soon as that TV timeout ended, the Kraken completely sat back in prevent defense to let the Flames storm right back to tie it. You would think by now that the coaching staff would change their approach in the third period when they have blown half of their games already in that frame but apparently that is asking too much! Anyways, time for bed

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
And yet again we blow a lead against a very beatable team.

Seems like that quest for NHL .500 might be a long one after all.....

We were outshot 16-3 that period. 16-3.

That's basically happening most of the games as soon as other teams have something to play for and don't just let us enter their zone.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Watching highlights of this one, stream of consciousness from those limited clips...

Flames goal #1 - Why are the Kraken getting endlessly cycled upon in even strength? How is every Calgary player so wide open in 5v5 play?

Kraken goal #1 - Nice shot by Dunn, amazing what winning faceoffs can accomplish.

Flames goal #2 - Tipped but...you kinda wish Gru would stop that?

Kraken goal #2 - Feel like Flames supporters are thinking Vladar should stop that, even though he makes at least a couple spectacular saves at other points of the 2nd. Good to see Eberle get another one though.

Flames goal #3 - They lose the faceoff and just sort of stand around for a second? Wingers engage after the puck has gone D to D, but Hanifin gets a relatively uncontested wrister towards the net and Mangiapane has sort of been left to mill around in front of the net by Dunn pops in the rebound. Just a really poor effort for a team clinging to a one goal lead?

OT goal - D'accord kind of flopping around there...

Hard to get a good vibe for the flow of play given it's just highlights, but kind of frustrating to watch the team continue to turtle like this and give up goals.

EDIT : Gru was pulled then, not injured? Sportsnet highlights didnt mention anything beyond D'accord taking his place for the 2nd but not why. Reports seem to indicate Gru was on the bench as the backup for the rest of the game?

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Strangely, sure, with a couple games in hand for those around em, our Kraken are actually in a playoff spot. How the HELL did that happen?

The west, at least right now, absolutley sucks.
Wouldn't be surprised if Edmonton somehow still made the playoffs cause they figure something(not all of it) out while the rest is stumbling around.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Somehow I'm dreading the game tonight. Sort of thinking about skipping it just so I avoid extreme disappointment when they lose with less than 5 minutes left or in OT AGAIN. If that happens tonight, I feel the spiral will start. The win is important and absolutely possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00