The Vermette situation was the worst move of the offseason

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Arizona is a young blossoming team, Anaheim has great center depth.

Vermette plays different roles on either team, is forced to perhaps cover the younger players in Arizona and in Anaheim just contribute, win faceoffs, this or that, not too much.

Anaheim isn't really winning though, but we're adding two good players so I'd reevaluate after Rakell/Vermette play some games together.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Rookie move by Chayka. Looked suspect then, looks even worse now.

Good for him... 136 faceoffs taken. That must make Richard Panik the greatest sniper ever with a 50% S%.
The Panik reference is HF's new favourite one liner.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Vermette was on decline when Hawks acquired him

And now he is two years older. He is far from player he once was

At this point he is simply a veteran for lockerroom and limited bottom 6 talent

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
less than 4 million over the course of 2 years (1.75M per year)...

He's talking about what Arizona was paying him, not what Anaheim is currently paying him.

As for the move itself: I do think it was a mistake on their GM's part. Not a big one, but it was a mistake. Vermette was overpaid, but he only had one more year left, and he was an option in case the kids weren't ready. Basically I think they got rid of a decent asset for nothing.

Vermette has been solid for us. I'm a bit disappointed in him being pretty much invisible offensively. However, he's been paired with crap AHLers and 4th liners all year. Tonight is the first game he'll have a consistent solid linemate in Rakell. The two should do well against other teams' lower lines.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
I love that buying out an overpriced bottom 6 option is "The worst move of the offseason" according to the OP. People laughed at the hawks for giving up a 1st for Vermette two years ago. What makes you think you'd get anything more than a 3rd for this guy now?

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Vermette having his best game of the year. Goal and an assist so far. It's only been one game, but he and Rakell seem to have found instant chemistry.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Dvorak will be back up this season, I guarantee it. And Strome is having a pretty good game tonight.

I don't really miss Vermette. I wish him all the best, but he was pretty bad last season and despite the OP's claims, we actually are using his spot to develop young talent.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
So just into the start of the season and this already looks like it was a terrible move. People were not fans of the move at the time re-reading the thread. The justification at the time was that they had a ton of young centers coming in and needed the room, which is fair.

However Dvorak has been sent down, and Strome has not been NHL caliber, being a healthy scratch working on his skating and NHL skills for the majority of games so far.

In all of this, Vermette has been a very good player for Anaheim. He has been arguably one of their best/most consistent forwards to start the year, providing consistent veteran play.

It seems like really bad asset management to buy out a guy who returned a first + for you a year earlier for kids who are not ready for the role.

Thoughts on this move?

Dvo looked really good in the NHL. No one knows why he was sent down.

Strome just had a fantastic game. Solid thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad